Eriotto's 128x Texture Pack - v. 0.2 Improved Nether Patch!

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.

Which Textures Should I Use For Dirt and Dung (Choose one for each)

Old Dirt for Dirt
4%
New Dirt for Dirt
12%
Old Dung for Dirt
4%
New Dung for Dirt
31%
Old Dirt for Dung
8%
New Dirt for Dung
31%
Old Dung for Dung
No votes
New Dung for Dung
12%

Total votes: 26
Starshifterxen

Re: Eriotto's 128x Texture Pack - First release, v 0.10

Post by Starshifterxen »

No problem.

Point by point (I love these!) :)

- Yes I agree. If you are able to make the changes to delay the animations or possible have them only show on the sides of the blocks then great, but for now I prefer all, than none.
- Jukebox and tnt are great. I also like the sparkling whole blocks (diamonds/gold) and the redstone ore. And of course the netherack!
- Yeah i know what you mean. I like the redstone and the diamond. Gold is nearly there. Coal, lapis and iron could use some love.
- Yeah that's exactly what i mean. Some need less "realism" some need more detail, but I can tell what you are aiming for.
- Sure. It only looks strange with some of the mroe cartoony textures. On its own it looks good
- Both. I like the wood (all of it :P) a lot. It just looks odd when you put it next to dirt/stone/cobble due to the detailing.
- Fair enough
- I think that would be good. I do like simple dirt, but for a 128x, it doesn't quite "pop" enough
- Grass blocks. As per the dirt really. Grass plants look good (as do sapplings and flowers)
- As per the dirt again. It's not bad, just needs a bit more character/noise to it.
- Thats what i thought. I think i would love it if it was a bit lighter :)
- :P maybe make it a bit darker and less uniform?
- Purple particle effect. Screenshot:
Spoiler
Show
- Stone bricks (and varients) look fine, as the brick breaks up the stone texture a bit.

Re: screenshots. Yes of course - Feel free to use them however you want. If you want me to take screenshots of anything else, let me know.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Dawnraider - As I see them, the non-jungle logs work alright up-down but not left-right, which I think is alright for now as they naturally appear on block wide ... I will tighten them up at some point, but the priority is low.

Stafshifterxen:
  • - As far as I know, there's no way to do this yet, but if there is in the future I will. Like you, I'd rather have all than nothing at all ;).
    - My thoughts exactly.
    - Now that I've got into the swing of texturing, I might be able to fix up some of the early ones.
    - Fair enough.
    - I might simplify the logs and planks at some point, just a little, if I can find a nice balance.
    - I will work on the grass and dirt blocks once I have redone the stone and cobblestone textures (which means in turn redoing furnace, piston, ores &c).
    - The Netherbrick has now been adjusted, ready for the next release.
    - Purple particle effects ... that's really weird ... I just checked on mine, and that doesn't happen ... I will release a colours.properties file in the next release which will hopefully fix it. I was going to do this eventually to change a few things, but I will do that bit for the next release to fix this oddity. But as I said, I don't see it, as I've just sat and watched a redstone lamp and only seen red ...

These changes to the vanilla textures I will work on before moving on to BTW textures, and do a 0.11 release with the changes (+ a colour file). Then I will do BTW textures, which will be 0.2 :).

EDIT: I can't seem to be able to find anything in colour.properties that affects redstone particle colour, nor can I replicate your purple particles ... Hrm ...

EDIT: If I give the particles a red tint when I do the particles png, this might fix this, but I'm not sure.

New stone texture, yay or nay?
    Spoiler
    Show
    And cobblestone? Maybe?
    Spoiler
    Show
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Mr_ONI_man

Re: Eriotto's 128x Texture Pack

Post by Mr_ONI_man »

Eriottosan wrote:Mr_ONI_man

Am I your first post?
*cries with happiness* :').

Fingers crossed for you being able to run it, my man :)

On a separate note, did I mention:
I hate leaf textures!
Yep my first post was right here. :)
Just tested and it runs smoothly, I guess my PC likes you.
I really like the smooth stone in the above Pics.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

I'm glad you are able to run it, Mr_ONI_man!

Do you mean the new stone texture? I have just implemented the new stone and cobblestone textures (and the relevant blocks - pistons, ores, furnace, etc), and so v0.11 with the new stone shall be up ASAP :).

EDIT: V. 0.11 is now up.
Mr_ONI_man

Re: Eriotto's 128x Texture Pack - Updated, v. 0.11

Post by Mr_ONI_man »

Yeah the newly added smooth stone (and cobble) looks better in my opinion. I do have one thing that i thought was kind of strange, the Nether Brick being purple. It's not that big of a deal though it still looks great.
I almost had a heart attack the first time I saw the eyes come out of the nether even though I knew it was coming...
EDIT: The coal ore being pure blackness is really cool and original. I like it a lot.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

I'm glad you prefer the new textures. I am curious - what colour do you see netherbrick in the vanilla default texture? I made mine purple because I see the default as a dark purple, so now I'm wondering how you see it!
Mr_ONI_man

Post by Mr_ONI_man »

Good point now that i look closer it does have that purplish look to it. I guess I just thought it should be a bit redder (not much). I can do it myself though GIMP is wonderful with proper plugins.
I edited the nether brick and I'd like to show you my idea of what it might look like but I'm derping on how to post the image...
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Upload it somewhere like Imgur (free image hosting), then get the link where they save it and put that in

Code: Select all

[img] [/img] 
brackets :)
Mr_ONI_man

Post by Mr_ONI_man »

OK thanks i figured it out.
Spoiler
Show
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

Mr_ONI_man wrote:OK thanks i figured it out.
Spoiler
Show
Fixed that for you. You need the link to the actual image, not a html page with an image somewhere in there. Typically you can recognize it by the fact, that the url hast an image file ending.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Thanks for fixing it for him Whisp ;).

I like it, Mr. Oni. Personally I like my Netherbrick purple so I may keep as is for now, but once I'm a bit further on I may include some alternative terrains where I might include an altered texture similar to yours :). In the mean time, I'm glad you were able to sort it for yourself - as I say in the readme.txt, I am more than happy for people to modify the images to suit their needs :)
Mr_ONI_man

Post by Mr_ONI_man »

Eriottosan wrote:Thanks for fixing it for him Whisp ;).

I like it, Mr. Oni. Personally I like my Netherbrick purple so I may keep as is for now, but once I'm a bit further on I may include some alternative terrains where I might include an altered texture similar to yours :). In the mean time, I'm glad you were able to sort it for yourself - as I say in the readme.txt, I am more than happy for people to modify the images to suit their needs :)
K glad you like it. Also thanks for fixing it Whips, I'm new to this forum as you can tell.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Just to keep people updated:
I have done all of the first line of btwterrain01.png (apart from cement) + Block of Soulforged Steel, Stewing Pot, Detector Rail Variants, Lens, and Millstone.
Detector block front (on and off) are animated, as are lightblock ok, Soulforged Steel block, Cauldron top, and Millstone top and bottom.
I have also written my first line of color.properties (I keep spelling colour, because I'm English, so it is rather unnatural to me!). It causes a slight variation in colour on all stone and cobblestone based blocks depending on biome. Namely, the sand based versions of these blocks have a yellow tint, the majority have a blue tint, and the tundra/snow ones have a light blue (frozen) tint.
These BTW terrains are coming on fast, so you might see a release sooner than I thought! :)

EDIT: Mushroom stone/cobble/dependencies are purplely pink. Forgot to mention that one.
Last edited by Eriottosan on Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

Just wanted to say new stone and cobblestone look good.

Looking forward to the next release :)
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Just a wee spoiler for the next release:
Spoiler
Show
A couple of stone based blocks in the desert affected by the stone colour palette I've implemented.
Spoiler
Show
Stone based blocks in the swamp.
Spoiler
Show
BTW Textures so far (the stone ones show you stone block colours in the snow/tundra/whatsitcalled)
Foreground left to right: Anchor, handcrank, wet cement, millstone, rope.
Main image left right (top to bottom where appropriate): Stewing pot, DB (off, on), turntable, BD, Gearbox (placed, output, input), lightblock (on, off), Soulforged Steel Block.
I have also done the Buddy Block, but forgot when I was doing the photoshoot. It's similar to the DB, but the eye is centered, the frame is all stone, and there is an output/non output side bar.

There are animations for the top of the stewing pot, top and bottom of the turntable, DB front for on and off states, BUD block all sides, Lightblock when on, Gearbox input and output, Millstone top and bottom, Soulforged Steel.

There is a slight issue with the animations: they play all the time. This is only an issue for the blocks which need power to function, but it is quite annoying. Basically, the animations always run even if they aren't receiving power. I don't know if there is a way to change their .properties file (they need one each ...) so that they show the btwterrain01.png image when not receiving power - if anyone thinks there is a way of doing this, let me know.

But as with the Netherrack, I'd rather have the animation there and OTT than not at all. It just means you have to pay attention for the particles to see if they are active, which is what we all do anyway.

Anyway, that's the teaser done. Thoughts, if any?

EDIT: I have also changed the hue of the jungle planks (and to a lesser extent, the jungle logs) so that they are more red than orange, as I seem to remember somewhere FC wrote that this is the texture of the planks BloodWood produces ...

EDIT2: For those that want to know which blocks are affected by the stonecolour biome, it is an awful lot. Basically, if it uses stone or cobblestone, it probably changes depending on biome. This includes all ores except coal, the furnace, item dispenser, pistons, stone bricks, millstone, DB, BUD, Anchor (this one has an issue, in that whichever side of the metal top is facing upwards is affected but other sides of the metal top are not), Lever (this suffers from the same issue as the anchor ...), BDs, stone corners/sidings/mouldings and probably other stuff I've missed out (you have to specify each block id in the properties file ... the list goes on for ever and ever, especially as you have to specify meta values if you only want it to apply to specific versions (i.e. only stone, stone brick and cobblestone slabs, not brick etc, which meant for the siding and corner stone blocks I had to list the metavalues for each rotation of stone, as doing just the basic affects all the wooden ones too!))
Last edited by Eriottosan on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_ONI_man

Post by Mr_ONI_man »

Awesome work so far! This is coming along really well. Can't wait for the BTW textures.
Jay42
Location: Walking behind you; Sleeping besides you; Talking around you.

Post by Jay42 »

I don't like most high-res packs (ruins the feel imho), but this one looks pretty neat, especially with the btw-stuff. Just three things that came to my mind:
1. iirc, cement is made with souls, and to reflect that, flowing cement has soul sand-like screaming faces on them. After creating such a "beautiful" nether, it would be kind of a waste to make it look so... normal.
2. The mill stone and turntable having solid stone sides looks really weird to me. They could use a bit more "texture" to reflect their uses.
3. I'm just curious, but what do these Kanji on the stewing pot actually say?
Stormweaver wrote:BTW: where the line between morality and immorality is a mile wide and has loops in some places.
Backups. Backups! BACKUPS!!
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Thanks for the continued support, Mr_ONI_man :).

Jay42, thanks for the support, I'm glad you think it looks neat :). As I've probably said before, I'm only doing a hi-res pack because I've never done textures for any game before, so I thought I'd give myself room to work. Once I get a better idea of it, I might release a smaller res pack, though if I do it will likely have a different style, as this one is more "how I feel" rather than any particular influence (though I often feel for a Japanese influence :P)
I shall address your thoughts point by point :).

1. I had forgotten that cement uses souls, and to be honest it was just a texture I did quickly because I didn't like the fact that my BTW terrain had a random gap on it as I had done everything else on the top line :P. I will add some soul to it before I release it :).

2. There were originally different sides to them, but because of what I wanted to do with the tops, it left me having to take thee blocky side to them ... For now, I will justify it with "the sides of those blocks don't really have a use" (Well, the Turntable one has an indented line where the button for speed goes). Once I have done the rest of the textures, the items, and have made a start on mobs and the fiddly bits, they are two of the textures that I plan to return to. But if I keep going back and redoing textures every time I have concerns about them, I'll never get a full release. I'd rather have it complete and update textures when I work out a way to improve them than to fret over them. Anyway, once you see the tops and bottoms in action, you will never look at the sides again ;). [/cocky]

3. The top line of Kanji on the stewing pot say "Eriotto" - I was taught it a few years back on a Japanese exchange. These three kanji can be found on numerous textures within my pack, but the stewing pot is the first BTW texture with it. The second line is just one character, which means "pot". I put it on due to the fact that if you put the kanji for "Big" in front of it, it becomes "Cauldron" ... A little geeky, but it's my own little bit of defiance towards the vMC cauldron by insisting that the BTW version is the real one :P.

To everyone:

Word of warning, there probably won't be a downloadable update or pictures of how I'm getting on until the start of next month, due to the fact that the broadband usage in the house has used nearly 3/4 of the month's download allowance (which for some peculiar reason includes what you upload *sigh*). I blame the fact that there was no school or college for my brothers and me for 2 weeks due to easter, so the laptops were in use a lot more ...

Also, if BTW 4.0 comes out in the mean time, the release will be further delayed as I will have to wait to download it, and then will have to play about to get a feel for the new blocks before texturing them (unless I just blow up the default textures for them as a filler, we will see what happens though).

EDIT: Jay, you will be happy to know that cement now has a similar animation to the soulsand and soulforged steel (but 2 or 3 less souls per block).
Jay42

Post by Jay42 »

Alright, lets try this. ^^'

1. Sugoi :) nuthin's better than a bunch of tormented souls.
2. Wakatta. I guess there is more important stuff. Still, zannen.
3. Ara, so its your name? Guess if I ever make textures I'll have them say "jayu yon juu ni" then. ;)
Stormweaver wrote:BTW: where the line between morality and immorality is a mile wide and has loops in some places.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Nihongo ga wakareru! Sugoine! \(^.^)/

1. The tormented souls now visibly protest in the cement like in the soul sand.
2. Hai, zannendayo. But I will probably improve them at some point.
3. i) (without being rude) Anata ha dansei da ka jyosei da ka? Only asking because Jay could be either (I can't be bothered to check your previous posts to see if you say anywhere) ... Dansei irareba, you shouldn't use ara. Jyosei irareba, you can :).
ii) It's more a way to brand my textures - that way I have a claim to them if someone nicks them and posts them as is. "No, I made these myself, you stole them from me: they have my name on them" :P. I have no problem with people distributing my stuff, as long as I am given credit, so I'm putting it on several textures just for that reason :).
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I was curious to see how my worlds would look with your TP, and since I'm at my brother's house, I went ahead, installed MC, and made some screens :

Here's the main (and empty) room of my LP world :
Spoiler
Show
Outside view of the mansion :
Spoiler
Show

The tree farm :
Spoiler
Show
My very first automated kiln, in my first world (nostalgia...)
Spoiler
Show
And I had to make the Pagode, obviously :
Spoiler
Show

Loving it so far :)
The new Netherrack is awesome btw ;)
Jay42

Post by Jay42 »

Chotto matte o.o'
Just like that, you overstrained my admittedly very limited vocabulary. Eetto... the textbook can't help either, luckily there's google translate.
Anoo, ore wa otoko desu, ore no machigai suminasen... ◉︵◉ (Is that even grammatically correct? I'm not too sure all of a sudden.)

Also, Battosay, your pagode looks amazing (as always). When I saw your mansion from the outside, I already thought "Hey, that looks like one of those citadels..."

Edit: Thinking about your netherrack just inspired me to a new way to decorate my walls:
Spoiler
Show
Gotta love em optical illusions.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Ah, thank you for that, Battosay! Those screenshots are beautiful! Then again, when it comes to your builds, they are always beautiful - you have such an eye for architecture :).

Jaysan, gomennasai! Demo, anata no nihongo ga sugoi to omotteiru :).
Yes, it makes sense grammatically :). The only query I have is I think machigai is a noun, so machigai NI suminasen. But this is conversational Japanese, so you can miss some particles out and it's fine :P.
Are you learning Japanese at school/college? Or taking night classes? Or self-teaching? Or what?

Ahh, that screenshot is pretty damn cool :)

EDIT: I've broken my no-uploads-till-the-end-of-the-month embargo, because I am pretty proud of the wicker, so just had to share it!
Spoiler
Show
Slab, block and panes :).
Right, NOW no more uploads until the end of the month. Really. I mean it. :P
Jay42

Post by Jay42 »

Domo arigatoo :) It's mostly self-teaching right now, which is hard for an undisciplined lazy guy like me. It's the first time I learn a language just because I want to, yet I struggle with the vocabulary as always...

And to stay on topic: I tested out the version currently in the OP, those are the results:
Spoiler
Show
Wall o' eyeception. °o° Thinking it through again, I don't think I'll use that design for my base. Too creepy.
Spoiler
Show
My base is looking pretty too. Works nicely with the water shader *.*
Spoiler
Show
Looking down from the top of my chicken-tower. That's a HD-texturepack, a shader and 100+ entities, but still running. Well, my machine's gotta be worth it's price after all.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Ah, that's cool man :). Feel free to pm me if you want any help/talk in Jap/etc :). But yes, let's keep this thread texture pack related, so all further Japanese via pm ;).

Ahh nice! I've never come across water-shader, but that looks pretty good, might try it at some point!
Haha, your machine must be worth it's money after all :)