Eriotto's 128x Texture Pack - v. 0.2 Improved Nether Patch!

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.

Which Textures Should I Use For Dirt and Dung (Choose one for each)

Old Dirt for Dirt
4%
New Dirt for Dirt
12%
Old Dung for Dirt
4%
New Dung for Dirt
31%
Old Dirt for Dung
8%
New Dirt for Dung
31%
Old Dung for Dung
No votes
New Dung for Dung
12%

Total votes: 26
Mr_ONI_man

Re: Eriotto's 128x Texture Pack - Updated, v. 0.11

Post by Mr_ONI_man »

When I first saw the wicker screenshot I didn't believe it was even Minecraft... Well done(understatement) my friend. Too bad about the limit, but I can wait for that amazing wicker. Sadly, Finals are coming next month so I might not fully experience the new textures until summer. :(
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Ah, very kind, as always, Mr_ONI_man :).
Yeah, upanddownload limits are a pain (I hadn't realised that upload counted, but I checked and it does, which sucks ...)
I don't know much about the American school system, but I do know that finals are important, so I won't start kicking and screaming about them taking priority ;).
In fact, texturing has been slow this week as I have deadlines for coursework in English and Music coming up, and then exams soon after that, so I feel your pain!

Just a general query: With regards to concentrated hellfire, do people think I should have this as the pulsing Netherrack without the eye (and perhaps a border), or should I create a more metal-like texture (pulsing red, obviously)?
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Mr_ONI_man

Post by Mr_ONI_man »

I think it should be a metal-like texture. Although either one is bound to look great either way. ;)
Also, how far are you in either BTW textures or vMC items, armor, etc.?
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

I'm doing BTW textures, but I've nearly finished them. Bloodwood textures, companion cube textures, Hibachi textures (and concentrated hellfire block), and hemp textures to go. Had to redo the stewing pot due to the update changing the way it is structured (mind you, not complaining, I prefer the new structure, just wish I hadn't already done it once :P.). Also, the planters, crucible and stewing pot have a slight oddity in the way they are textured, in that the texture wraps round a bit weirdly - no matter what I do, I can't make it smooth on all sides for those three, but it'll be fine as they are for now.

So yeah, as soon as the download limit is reset (ends on the 30th I think), I should be in a position to release the BTW terrain, and I might even have made some headway on items by then!
Unless Mojang manages to actually get the extended ids sorted out and the new blocks are released ... Those will take a while to do, as I'll want to have a play around with them first!

EDIT: My plan of action is BTW Terrain (nearly done), vMC items, BTW items, GUIs, Enchanting Table's book, Endercrystals, mobs, breeding harnessed mobs, armour, particles and other bits. But wherever I am, when BTW4.0 comes out, I'm going to play with that and then do their textures. Same goes for the add-on kaos78414 is creating.

Update: BTW terrains are done. Unfortunately, my download doesn't reset till the first, so you'll have to all wait.
Mr_ONI_man

Post by Mr_ONI_man »

Can't wait to see the finished BTW terrain, only a few more days.
Off topic: Does anyone know a seed for minecraft that can be used to build a house partially in a mountain, partially outside overhanging a lake. I know it's really specific details, but i have an idea of a creation to build and I could't find one anywhere.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Will post a good seed when I have comp access. (Couple hours)
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Mr_ONI_man wrote:Can't wait to see the finished BTW terrain, only a few more days.
Off topic: Does anyone know a seed for minecraft that can be used to build a house partially in a mountain, partially outside overhanging a lake. I know it's really specific details, but i have an idea of a creation to build and I could't find one anywhere.
Search "HCB seeds" and you should find a whole topic that might have what you are looking for.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

It's been an interesting couple of days for me - not only am I uber stressed trying to make my coursework fit the wordcount for the deadline on Tuesday, but we had a bomb-scare at college to add to the drama ... And to top it all off, I've still not fixed my coursework and it is nearly 11pm Sunday, and I feel ill as fuck ... I think the stress has fucked with my immune system ...
Ah, well, at least I had tipping stewing pots to lift my spirits :).
Just a word of warning about the BTW Terrains: I know I've said it before, but they run *all* the time, which is annoying ... In a perfect world, they would run only when they are powered, but this isn't a perfect world.

Ahh, Mr_ONI_man, as penance for being off topic, you have to post images of your creation once it is built (and once my BTW textures are released). Deal? ;).
Mr_ONI_man

Post by Mr_ONI_man »

Fine ;) I'll try to make it look as best I can once I find the right seed. It'll probably be a while because I want to do it legit.
Thanks for suggesting some good places to look guys.
As for you're week, it sounds...um...different?
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Haha, I'm all for waiting, as long as I get paid with images in the end ;). If you feel you can pm me any of the details of this master plan, do. But if you'd rather keep the grand scheme a secret, that's fine.

Yeah, to be honest I'm pretty pissed off right now. But I don't want to darken my thread with it, so I posted the proper details in offtopic to purge myself as it were.

I just want it to be May so I can get some feedback on my BTW textures! :P
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Ok, just a quick query ... Obviously, once May starts I will be uploading and posting the latest version of my pack, which includes the BTW terrain textures and a few other bits and bobs.
However, I never really gave much thought to the whole supporting thing 'till I saw this post.

My question is: is it alright for me to post my BTW terrain files over at MCF when the time comes, or do I need permission?
If I do need permission, please may I post my BTW terrain files over at MCF when the time comes?

On another note, I started work on the item icons, but got bored. So I am working on terrains for Kaos' add-on, and have sent a pm asking about where he is ok with me posting terrains for that.
However, I won't be able to test said add-on or my textures for it until the download resets on the first. But hopefully they will work *fingers crossed*.

I had planned to do items next, but they are so boring ... I might do mobs next instead, as you actually see them in-game to more effect ... Either way, the update at the start of May won't include items or mobs, but just thought I'd ask which people would rather have first.
Mr_ONI_man

Post by Mr_ONI_man »

Only 2 more days until the next release, correct? Can't wait to see it! :)
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

'Tis true :). There's a few changes, plus the BTW terrains and some other bits and bobs (minecarts, boats, signs, I forget what else).
It also has terrain for the first release of Kaos' add-on. But I won't be able to download the test version to see if my textures work until the 1st, so my upload probably won't be up until evening GMT.
I'm also going to avoid the MCF until I know what I am allowed to post there texture wise, so it will only be available here, but yes, in 2 days (as long as nothing terrible happens, touch wood).

I'm glad you're excited :). As I said in my last post, I started the items ... I had hoped to get them out for this release. But I got bored. They are not nice to do. Textures are fun. Items are irritating and always look wrong. They might take me a while.
Eriottosan

Re: Eriotto's 128x Texture Pack - v. 0.2

Post by Eriottosan »

Updated, now with full terrains for vanilla, BTW and Kaos' add-on.
Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

Ok, I've been having a play. Great work again, some of these textures are wonderful! :)

- I love the gear animations on the various blocks
- The anvil is really cute
- The redstone looks great now
- Detector block and buddy block. Lol! XD
- Turntable, milstone and stewing pot animations are awesome
- Columns are ace
- New smoothstone is good

- Pack is currently coming across a bit dark when blocks are together. It's hard to pick out the details and definition.
- Dirt still needs more love: It looks like brown wool.
- Grass texture is good, but looks a bit weird in large amounts as the joins are a bit too obvious
- Not sure I like the different wood colours for blocks - e.g. saw, hopper, pully, gearbox are all different colours of wood. I think one colour for all would look better. Personally I prefer the more yellow wood e.g. chests
- The wood for sidings/mouldings/corners is a little too "grainy" for my taste

Fantastic work again though mate. It was worth the wait :D

Looking forward to the items now ;)
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Fantastic feedback, as usual, Starshifterxen. Thanks :).
It's always nice when there are more pros than constructive criticism ;).
I'm glad you like the DB and Buddy Blocks - it was just irresistable :P.

Responding to the section under "feedback":

- When you say "coming across a bit dark when blocks are together", could you explain what you mean? I'm not 100% sure what you're getting at, I'm afraid.
- Dirt is hard. I think it's a step in the right direction, but I agree that it needs more love.
- Same goes for the grass. Better than it was, but I agree that it's still not right.
- Yeah, it made more sense in conception "I'll have them different colours, it'll help with first glance recognition", but the more I play with it in, the more I doubt it. I think I'll leave it for a bit, but will probably change them all to use the same wood as chests (named "wood base" on my working files since I changed the basic planks - you didn't need to know that, but if I put it on the internet, then I won't forget :P).
- Wood part blocks use the texture for the basic planks through the way they are coded. Nothing I can do about it, short of changing the basic plank texture.

Thanks again :).

On a general note, does anyone know what I am allowed to post over at MCF?
Mr_ONI_man

Post by Mr_ONI_man »

<:D
Wow....just....wow
This is awesome looking, sadly I must study for a ECA that's tomorrow so I won't experience it for a while.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Thanks, Mr_ONI_man :). I have no idea what an ECA is, but good luck! I hope you enjoy the new textures when you get round to them :).
Mr_ONI_man

Post by Mr_ONI_man »

End of Course Assessment, a test over all you learned in the year. I'm sure I missed a few.
Just tried the textures...I love them all and the new default wood looks better(almost like my hardwood floors)than the old textures.
EDIT: On a side note could you make the redstone a little less dusty, more defined. I do a lot with redstone and I make it as compact as possible. Not really too much of an issue, but it'd be nice.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

American systems are weird ...
I'm glad you like them :).
Erm, how does the redstone texture change how compact your designs are?

Right I'm going to post 0.2 (- kaos' addon) over at MCF ... No-one seems to have said yay or nay to my questions so I'm just gonna do it, and if there is a problem I'll take them down again.
Mr_ONI_man

Post by Mr_ONI_man »

It doesn't physically change them in any way. It's just a little hard to follow when redstone is everywhere. As I said though not a huge problem, and I'd be happier if you changed it after everything else is done. Could you do a preview of the items?
Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

Hey sorry for the slow reply, but I thought I would play with it for a while first, to see if my thoughts changed :)

Before the replies, I just want to say that I am loving the pack so far. It is fantastic and I can't wait for the rest :D
Eriottosan wrote: - When you say "coming across a bit dark when blocks are together", could you explain what you mean? I'm not 100% sure what you're getting at, I'm afraid.
Yeah it is hard to explain, but compare these two screenshot.
Spoiler
Show
The vanilla (although uglier :P) is brighter and the different blocks are quite distinct and easily identified. That being said, I found when playing with it I actually found it fine.
Eriottosan wrote:- Dirt is hard. I think it's a step in the right direction, but I agree that it needs more love.
- Same goes for the grass. Better than it was, but I agree that it's still not right.
Agreed, I think both are close.
Eriottosan wrote:- Yeah, it made more sense in conception "I'll have them different colours, it'll help with first glance recognition", but the more I play with it in, the more I doubt it. I think I'll leave it for a bit, but will probably change them all to use the same wood as chests (named "wood base" on my working files since I changed the basic planks - you didn't need to know that, but if I put it on the internet, then I won't forget :P).
Totally see where you were coming from :)
Eriottosan wrote:- Wood part blocks use the texture for the basic planks through the way they are coded. Nothing I can do about it, short of changing the basic plank texture.
I withdraw this, I have grown to love them.

A few more screenies as well:
Spoiler
Show
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Mr_ONI_man, it is on my list of "todo when I feel like it" textures, which is my list of textures that aren't right, but that I'm happy to keep as is until I feel like redoing them so that I don't get all worried and obsess over them (and hence cause a delay in other textures).
I'll do a screenshot of some textures in-game while I'm writing this - I'd post the .pngs, but they have the sphax items as placeholders.
To be perfectly honest (as much as you all might hate me for this), I think I'm going to work on mobs, so that I can do the armour textures (once I have used mobs to find out how the modeling of those kinds of things work) before I do the rest of the items - otherwise my item textures for armours won't match what I make them.
But regardless, I have just installed shelfs and am setting up a screenshot of the items I've done, even though they will probably come after mobs. Check for it at the bottom of the post :).

Starshifterxen - don't apologise for the slow reply, I'm in no rush :).
Thank you as always :).
I see what you mean about it being a tad dark, but I think fiddling with levels will make it a bit harsh. I'm glad that it's fine when you actually play with it. I'll add it to my list of non-urgent things to look at :).
The more I play, the more and more grass and dirt bug me. It's getting harder and harder to leave them till later ...
I will unify the wood-based blocks at some point, though I might make them all one colour (ala current gearbox) to distinguish mechanical blocks at a glance, rather than make them chest coloured.
Haha, I'm glad the wood has grown on you ... as it were ...
As far as your screenies go, are you against me using them in the OP/over at MCF? Now that the pack is actually usable for screenshots (aka, full terrain textures), I'd quite like to get some screenies up as a showcase. However, my old worlds were lost, and I'm putting all my MC time into a new pure world (using only BTW and Raust's tools, with Kaos' add-on once it is finalised on block IDs) and the TP, which runs from a separate Jar with all sorts of stuff on it ... So I have no beautiful builds like yours to use. So yeah, I won't use them till you say I can, but I would very much like to if that's alright :) (of course you will be given credit!).

Mr_ONI_man, here are your screenshots. Stupid shelfs don't work for BTW items, so they are in a different screenshot. That's all I have atm, and I'm not even happy with most of them. As I said, I'm probably going to do mobs and armour (and possibly GUIs) before I do items properly. To my mind, they are more important anyway. So, the screenshots of the probably-not-gonna-use-many-of-these-anyway items:
Spoiler
Show
Thanks all, as always :).
Mr_ONI_man

Post by Mr_ONI_man »

Really nice items. The diamonds look really cool, I love em.
Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

Items look beautiful. =D

Feel free to use any of the screenshots I post in this thread - That is what they are for. Also don't worry about credit, I'm honestly not too bothered. :)

I'll post some more ss of my new world when I've got something more than dirt and stone to show. :P