BTW Deco Add-on (pre-release v0.4.5 - updated 6/11)

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
kaos78414

Re: Working on a BTW addon

Post by kaos78414 »

Actually if that's the case this could be a big problem for some people. It's not really worth it just to get to mead barrels, candles and flowers to have to travel that far. The only way I can think to fix this would be to use Dr Zharks custom spawner, or write my own custom spawner - which may be the route I go if I really need a solution to this, as I'd prefer not to have any external dependencies.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

I could suggest two ways to handle it:
First: Tell the people to use Nether portals for long distance travel.
Second one: Bees have a very low chance of spawning when leaves of apple trees decay.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Neither of those solutions feel right to me. The second one would require base class edits, and the first I'm not sure about. I'm wondering if requiring Dr. Zharks custom spawner would be so bad. It would definitely be less work for me, and I don't see him abandoning it anytime soon. Plus it won't affect anything but my own mobs.

I'll think about this for awhile before I make any decisions, though.
johnt

Post by johnt »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Earlier in the thread, you summed your mod up in the best way I could think of: Little hobbies steve can take up that result in Aesthetic blocks. As long as any addition you add supports that theme, then you are doing it right. That said, perhaps each hobby could be a separate mod? That way you could install, say, BTW botany for the sakura trees and flowers, while BTW insectery adds lightning bugs and bees.
I don't know how you resisted calling it 'buggery'.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

I know little about coding, so forgive me.

But could you not have Steve create a block that it is only possible to place one of in a specified area, that then causes bees to spawn in that area?

I.e. have a particular flower (perhaps that is formed by combining all the other flowers you have), say it was a honeysuckle bush. And then have it that if Steve plants it and tries to plant another, the coding checks if there is one within x-amount of blocks (whatever you feel), and if there is make it return the message "You already have a honeysuckle bush near here". Then you could have the honeysuckle bush spawn bees in a wide area (as they attract bees).

I don't know how doable it is, but it could be a solution?

EDIT: It also would mean that in order to move on to insectery (or buggery, to please johnt), steve would first have to try his hand at botany, which seems to me to be a Better Than Wolves type mindset.
In a way, my idea is to have a craftable spawner, that allbeit doesn't look like a spawner, and spawns in a much wider area, with a limitation on proximity of numerous spawners. I don't know if this is possible, but as I said, it's how I would try to find a way around it :) (because I wouldn't have the patience to walk for hours to get to the end of my already generated world ;) )
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Eriottosan wrote:I know little about coding, so forgive me.

But could you not have Steve create a block that it is only possible to place one of in a specified area, that then causes bees to spawn in that area?

I.e. have a particular flower (perhaps that is formed by combining all the other flowers you have), say it was a honeysuckle bush. And then have it that if Steve plants it and tries to plant another, the coding checks if there is one within x-amount of blocks (whatever you feel), and if there is make it return the message "You already have a honeysuckle bush near here". Then you could have the honeysuckle bush spawn bees in a wide area (as they attract bees).

I don't know how doable it is, but it could be a solution?
That's actually one thing I thought about doing. The only thing is, there would need to be something like this for each non-monster mob I decide to make. However that might not be such a bad thing in the case that the thing that attracts (read: spawns) the mob has aesthetic uses, IE Acorn Trees for squirrels, Honeysuckle for Bees, Coral blocks for fishies, etc. Luckily this isn't necessary for mobs that spawn at night.

The other plus to this method is that bees don't need to be breed-able, which would cut down on some of the work I need to do.

The only negative I can think of is that it cuts down on the work you'd have to do. I suppose its not so bad, I can keep the need to capture them by requiring that the honeysuckle be able to see the sky in order to spawn bees. And I wouldn't have to limit the number of honeysuckle blocks you can have in an area, just the number of bees that can be spawned.

I like it, but I'm going to take some time and weigh the pros and cons of every solution we've thought of so far, and hopefully come to a reasonable solution.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

kaos78414 wrote: That's actually one thing I thought about doing. The only thing is, there would need to be something like this for each non-monster mob I decide to make. However that might not be such a bad thing in the case that the thing that attracts (read: spawns) the mob has aesthetic uses, IE Acorn Trees for squirrels, Honeysuckle for Bees, Coral blocks for fishies, etc. Luckily this isn't necessary for mobs that spawn at night.

The other plus to this method is that bees don't need to be breed-able, which would cut down on some of the work I need to do.

The only negative I can think of is that it cuts down on the work you'd have to do. I suppose its not so bad, I can keep the need to capture them by requiring that the honeysuckle be able to see the sky in order to spawn bees. And I wouldn't have to limit the number of honeysuckle blocks you can have in an area, just the number of bees that can be spawned.

I like it, but I'm going to take some time and weigh the pros and cons of every solution we've thought of so far, and hopefully come to a reasonable solution.
As long as each non-monster mob's spawner is aesthetic like you said, then I don't see an issue - in nature, fauna often move towards the flora :).
I don't see how it cuts down on the work you need to do as a player - if you make the spawn area large enough, they still have to go searching for and catch the bees, plus they have to make something in order to spawn ... er, attract ... them in the first place :).

In the end of the day, it's your call, and I completely agree with waiting and weighing pros and cons :) Best thing to do, as it means you won't make any rash choices that limit what you want to do with the mod in the future :)
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

This could be an awesome way of giving your aesthetic flora a purpose

Another option is to have the player craft a beehive, then have it spawn bees.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Erynn

Post by Erynn »

You know...... if the theme is japanese styled, a Katana would make sense. Displaying a sword in a dojo would be awesome aethetically, and with BTW having added an anvil, as well as steel, making a katana instead of a regular old sword just adds that much more flavor.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

So I napped on it, and I don't mind the idea of aesthetic spawner blocks at all. That's not a bad idea. Hopefully I can make the range at which it spawns pretty far, that way there might still be some hunting involved, and if you feel like decorating an area with that block there's not the problem of having too many in that area. Plus if it doesn't turn out the way I like it, this decision is easier to reverse than if I released the mod with Dr. Zharks creature spawner as a dependency.
Erynn wrote:You know...... if the theme is japanese styled, a Katana would make sense. Displaying a sword in a dojo would be awesome aethetically, and with BTW having added an anvil, as well as steel, making a katana instead of a regular old sword just adds that much more flavor.
The theme is not necessarily 100% japanese. That's just what I happened to start with. In fact, there is no central theme other than that I want aesthetic blocks. That said, I was planning on adding a katana, but I won't tell you what its gonna do just yet. :P
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Hint: It's going to spawn ninjas who attack you.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

No no. Ritualistic suicide when you are foolish enough to get lost.
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

I have a block suggestion that I think you might find interesting, whether it is feasible or not I am unable to say.

=Shop signs=

How this would work would be exactly like Risugamis shelf mod except it would only have a slot for one item. That way you could have any number of different style signs but only take up one block ID.

I haven't said anything yet but this is one mod i have been keeping a close eye on. I really like your philosophy behind it and how you've implemented items based on that. You are doing a great job so far and I eagerly await the mods release.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Have you looked at the spawn code for Ocelots? As far as I can tell from their ingame behavior, they seem to be popping out of nowhere. Or maybe I'm just paranoid..
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Got some stuff done this morning. I'm well on my way to a release candidate (still going to wait on those block IDs though :P)

Changes:
- Made the fireflies look much brighter. They don't actually glow or put off light, but it will almost appear that way.
- Added the honeysuckle block. It is based on vines, so placing it will cause it to grow similarly. Collecting it is the same as vines, you need to use shears. Haven't added the actual bee spawning from them yet, that's the next thing I'll be getting done.
- Added pollen drops from bees, each one works like bonemeal, spawning a bit of grass and a few flowers.

And I wanted to give you guys another teaser, since it feels like its been awhile. In that album you'll see a few shots of the hyacinth and lavender flowers, the beehive block, the bees, the honeysuckle vines, and a couple shots of the fireflies from far away to showcase how friggin' bright they are.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Its looking really good! Can't wait until the extra block ID's comes.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Very nice. The fireflies look extremely good. Good job sir.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

kaos78414 wrote:Changes:
- Added the honeysuckle block. It is based on vines, so placing it will cause it to grow similarly. Collecting it is the same as vines, you need to use shears. Haven't added the actual bee spawning from them yet, that's the next thing I'll be getting done.
*feels happy that his suggestion has influenced kaos' decision in any way, shape or form* You, sir, have made me even happier than I was when I first saw the details for your add-on :D.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Thanks for the continued support guys :)

On the to-do list hopefully for tomorrow:
- Tweak lantern placement code. (still haven't figured out how to take player facing into account)
- See if I can't find a solution for the falling leaves fx using a custom texture instead of a vanilla one.
- Tweak firefly spawn rates and possibly limit the biomes they spawn in
- Add bee spawning to honeysuckle, and come up with a recipe for the honeysuckle

And some stuff I'm thinking about doing, but not sure on how I'll implement them:
- Config file. Now I'm not sure I even need one, since there is no world gen, all of the content is completely optional as it stands, save for the fireflies, which aren't that intrusive. It would seem to me that a config file might just be extra work for no good reason.
- Tweak cherry blossom sapling recipe (currently is dung, pink dye and any sapling, but it just doesn't feel right)
- Once Steve acquires bees, you start to get a surplus of honey. I was thinking of using it as an ingredient in a wood stain. Not sure on the recipe yet, might be honey + potash in the stewing pot
- Limit mead barrel uses. I had this one written down, but the more I think about it, the less it makes sense. You can't really tell when its empty, unlike the cauldron, and since it really provides no functional benefits to have unlimited mead, I think I might just scratch this off the list.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

kaos78414 wrote:- Config file.
I would like to see a config file - at least for the block Id´s.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Just a thought for the cherry blossom - Japanese mythology (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not Japanese, I just know a lot about the language, but I'm not great on culture/mythology so this probably isn't 100% accurate) is based on spirits called kami. One of these kami is Konohana, whose symbol is the cherry blossom. She herself is the daughter of Ohoyama, the kami of mountains, sea and war.
As such, I offer a recipe idea (as you said you don't like the current one):
Keep the pink dye and any sapling, as well as a bucket of water (sea), a rock (mountain) and a soul urn (as you are embodying a kami).
Obviously that's a bit of an expensive recipe as it involves a soul urn, but as it's a tree, once you have one you can get more from its leaf blocks :).
Just a thought :).
Panda

Post by Panda »

Eriottosan wrote:Just a thought for the cherry blossom - Japanese mythology (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not Japanese, I just know a lot about the language, but I'm not great on culture/mythology so this probably isn't 100% accurate) is based on spirits called kami. One of these kami is Konohana, whose symbol is the cherry blossom. She herself is the daughter of Ohoyama, the kami of mountains, sea and war.
As such, I offer a recipe idea (as you said you don't like the current one):
Keep the pink dye and any sapling, as well as a bucket of water (sea), a rock (mountain) and a soul urn (as you are embodying a kami).
Obviously that's a bit of an expensive recipe as it involves a soul urn, but as it's a tree, once you have one you can get more from its leaf blocks :).
Just a thought :).
Or you could just throw a bucket of blood at the base of a tree. :D
after a tasty blood snack the tree turns into a cherry blossom!

Im obviously kidding =]

kinda..
Never say no to Panda.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Elevatator wrote:I would like to see a config file - at least for the block Id´s.
I might just push the config file back. It's something I honestly don't feel compelled to work on. There's no telling what's going to happen in the future, but as it stands right now my add-on is dependent on BTW, which isn't compatible with a lot of major mods, and so I don't think I'll have to worry about conflicting with any block ID's save for those in BTW (and maybe BTB). But if it becomes a problem I'll definitely add a config file, it's just become less of a priority.
Eriottosan wrote:-snip-
I did think of requiring soul urns, but considering the amount of soulforged steel required for the next update, I'm not sure I want to force people to reserve some of their stockpiles for my mod. That said, I do like the idea. It's true you would only have to make one, and the same is true of the honeysuckle. However, I'm just not sure I want it to be at the top of the current BTW tech tree. I think I'll leave it as it is for now, and for the honeysuckle I'll do dung + yellow flower + vines for now.
Panda wrote:Or you could just throw a bucket of blood at the base of a tree. :D

Im obviously kidding =]

kinda..
Muahaha. Where would you get a bucket of blood? Perhaps a tree tap for the bloodwood tree... Hmmm... :)
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

kaos78414 wrote:
Elevatator wrote:I would like to see a config file - at least for the block Id´s.
I might just push the config file back. It's something I honestly don't feel compelled to work on. There's no telling what's going to happen in the future, but as it stands right now my add-on is dependent on BTW, which isn't compatible with a lot of major mods, and so I don't think I'll have to worry about conflicting with any block ID's save for those in BTW (and maybe BTB). But if it becomes a problem I'll definitely add a config file, it's just become less of a priority.
Eriottosan wrote:-snip-
I did think of requiring soul urns, but considering the amount of soulforged steel required for the next update, I'm not sure I want to force people to reserve some of their stockpiles for my mod. That said, I do like the idea. It's true you would only have to make one, and the same is true of the honeysuckle. However, I'm just not sure I want it to be at the top of the current BTW tech tree. I think I'll leave it as it is for now, and for the honeysuckle I'll do dung + yellow flower + vines for now.
Panda wrote:Or you could just throw a bucket of blood at the base of a tree. :D

Im obviously kidding =]

kinda..
Muahaha. Where would you get a bucket of blood? Perhaps a tree tap for the bloodwood tree... Hmmm... :)
Great, now I nedd to start learning Java so I'll be able to make a BTW addon that allows you to tap blood from bloodwood trees ;)
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
Damonjay

Post by Damonjay »

kaos78414 wrote:

How about building a satanic device which you sacrifice wolves to, each wolf would equal a bucket of blood. Further down development Black magic could be introduced which would require Blood buckets.