Drunken musings (with swords)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Urian

Drunken musings (with swords)

Post by Urian »

There are some people who are able to produce great texts even when drunk as skunks. Other persons can write astounding texts even though there are goblins mining away at their very creative cored. This post isn't written by any of those peoples. This post is a randomly written, drunk raving text that I hope will amuse you and even if you don't laugh at the text, you can still laugh at the drunken me.

First off: I've made an interesting observation today. People tend to look at you in a strange way during the day and avoid you during the night if you carry swords with you. Yes, I realize that most people might not have a sword handy for wielding at a moment's notice (start practicing martial arts. now ) but it really is a great accessory and definitely makes a fashion statement (even if the statement is: "I'm gonna cut your private parts first.). No more endless queuing at the supermarket

Secondly: A sword isn't very handy on the dance floor. It will get you attention when you're standing near the dance floor but you lack that final, crucial push to actually join the crowd instead of being a perpetual onlooker. Instead you should do your best to enjoy yourself to the fullest, no matter the surrounding or the day. Also, a sword when sheathed is pretty useless it's wielder decides to actually bring it to forth.

Thirdly: If you somehow manage to combine pWoint 2 and 3, thereby arriving at a few weeks as a suitable punishment for being stupid enough to

Well, that's it I think. I might have just thought of a card to be incredibly smatt, asince there is alreat gone fot her in the past.

All those things aside, let's get to sleeiping and then tomorrow back tom parying at
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
morvelaira

Re: Drunken musings (with swords)

Post by morvelaira »

I have to say...
I think your drunk rambles are much more coherent than mine. ^_^
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, feel free to drunk ramble anytime Urian. I find both your drunk and sober ramblings highly amusing, if far too infrequent :)
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

Did he start off drunk? Or simply end the post drunk?

'Cause I think I was following him pretty well until the third point.
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Dancing with a sword is all well and good, provided you have the dance floor to yourself. You maybe able to get away with a partner if you stick with a waltz or foxtrot, but Latin or Swing is right out. A sword on your hip will deftly insert itself between Someone's legs, and a sword on your back will not allow you the requisite flexibility. Anything where you must hold your body rigidly in frame may work. The sorts of dances commonly danced in the 17th and 18th century would be danceable with a sword, as those were common fashion accessories among high society at the time.

Dancing with a sword as your partner, much as some people dance with mops, is acceptable so long as the sword is at least 3' in length and you are able to grip it inverted without cutting yourself. German Zweihanders are best for this. If anyone tries to cut in, you may cut them.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
umbra_pie

Post by umbra_pie »

You know, i have had almost this exact same problem.
It was a costume party where only myself and afew others bothered to wear a costume...
i did get a kick out of some of the people who didnt know me there (most of the people there) freaking out a bit when they realised i was carrying a real sword.

btw, first post, long time lurker. Hi everybody.
Did the kitten pur?
Did the mermaid slur?
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I remember my buddy in high school getting hassled by the police for walking around the neighborhood with a katana strapped to his back. He ended up getting out of any real trouble by stating he was on his way to a Kendo class and he wanted to show his teacher the sword he got. That... was... totally a lie. He was walking to the park to swing it at small trees.

@umbra - Welcome!
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Now that reminds me of when I convinced my ra at my university that the 5 paintball guns in my room on campus were for a 'school project.' Good times.

I enjoyed the druken ramblings Urian! Thanks for adding some humor to my otherwise drab monday morning!
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

I prefer a dagger honestly. it is stylish, and yet gets the point across, whatever your point is. and it doesn't restrict movement.
And HOW!
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

The main problem I would have, would be with the local authorities. Most countries have laws against displaying swords in public, let alone wield them. When I imported a sword from the states a few years ago, I had explicit rules sent to me (france). This basically stated that I was allowed to pick it up by foot if I was within 5minutes walking distance from the collection point (post office). If not, I had to pick it up by car, and had to cover the box/sword up with a blanket to keep it out of view. Another point was that the sword had to be secured out of sight from the main entrance to the house and lock it with a cable.

Thankfully I was home when the delivery dude came by, so I had none of those problems. :P

It's now stored away at my parents house in the netherlands, do not fancy important that into Ireland. :(
daveboy2000

Post by daveboy2000 »

swords are illigal to wield in my country, just like daggers or stilleto's, well, as long as you can take them out within 10 seconds.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I imagine that european countries have more laws on the books regarding swords than the states do, even if many of those laws date back to when swords were in practical use.

Here in the states, we've had guns longer than we've had a country. We've never had to deal with swords as anything other than a fashion choice really.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

daveboy2000 wrote:swords are illigal to wield in my country, just like daggers or stilleto's, well, as long as you can take them out within 10 seconds.
Same here, everything longer than your palm is theoretically Illegal.

Practically though. The police ain't gonna bother you if you've got a katana (and have it sheathed OFC). It's too... outlandish to be considered a real weapon I guess.

Or something.

At least they never bothered me.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Yeah, it all depends on the item in the long run. There is a big difference between "weapon" and "prop/show thingy". Most of the things you can buy from shops can't actually be used for well, a fight. Either to blunt or it will simply break on impact :P That was not the case for the replica I ordered from weaponmasters though :P (47" in length, 32lbs // 14.5ish kg).

A friend bought me a Katana from a japanexpo, which is fun but the hilt/blade would just fall apart too quickly and is blunt.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

FaceFoiled wrote:A friend bought me a Katana from a japanexpo, which is fun but the hilt/blade would just fall apart too quickly and is blunt.
Same here, got 3 from the last Japanexpo, they're just good as decoration ;)
And yes, I did get arrested when going back home (on the train).
But then the cops saw that we were around 50 guys, all carying Katanas. They let us go ;)