Trying to create a lunar calendar

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
RaustBlackDragon

Trying to create a lunar calendar

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Yeah, for reasons I won't detail, I'm going to try and create a lunar calendar which will keep track of the lunar phase, so I can check it during the daytime. I know I can use the lens and a detector block in conjunction to detect daytime, but what kind of logic gate would I use to make a block dispenser shift dispensed color wool once per sunrise?
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Stormweaver

Re: Trying to create a lunar calendar

Post by Stormweaver »

No need for logic gates; just stick the wool colours in the BD and it'll cycle through them in turn.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
RaustBlackDragon

Stormweaver wrote:No need for logic gates; just stick the wool colours in the BD and it'll cycle through them in turn.
Seriously? No extra circuitry required?

...I don't know whether to say yay or aw man...

On one hand, it's easier, but on the other hand, it won't be very impressive when I'm done :(
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Fine, fine. Since I guess you're wanting the colours to show up both at night and during the day, you'll be wanting it to only turn the power to the BDs off for a very short time at each dawn -or- dusk. Which is just a pulse former/monostable with properly inverted inputs and outputs.

There you go, something to work on :)
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Elektrohawk

Post by Elektrohawk »

Yea, might take some of the presupposed 'difficulty' out of it, but with the BD, lens, and detector block, I think you could make this in a 3x3 area hehe.

Now what you could do, is hook it up to a wolf breeder, and set it up to only release wolves on full moon cycles? >.>
Lol nope
RaustBlackDragon

Elektrohawk wrote:Yea, might take some of the presupposed 'difficulty' out of it, but with the BD, lens, and detector block, I think you could make this in a 3x3 area hehe.

Now what you could do, is hook it up to a wolf breeder, and set it up to only release wolves on full moon cycles? >.>
I thought the professional conclusion was that wolf breeding can't be automated with BTW?
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:
Elektrohawk wrote:Yea, might take some of the presupposed 'difficulty' out of it, but with the BD, lens, and detector block, I think you could make this in a 3x3 area hehe.

I thought the professional conclusion was that wolf breeding can't be automated with BTW?
You just gotta use standing wolves.

Create an enclosed area, put feeders on each side (powered hopper turned off by a pressure plate under it), put a piston wall in the middle and flush one half of your wolves where you want them.

Keep a backup pair :).
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Yeah, but you can't wander away, or the standing wolves teleport to you.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Yeah, but you can't wander away, or the standing wolves teleport to you.

crap.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Poppycocks wrote: ...crap.

Yep, that's all they're good for.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Yeah. I sometimes wonder if that feature should be removed. It's just a cheat for shitty pathfinding.

Raust?
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Yeah. I sometimes wonder if that feature should be removed. It's just a cheat for shitty pathfinding.

Raust?
Well if you are moving faster than your wobles, say minecarts, boat, sprinting, etc, it's easy to leave them behind if they aren't able to teleport. Not that there's a reason in vmc or btw/btb for them to follow you to begin with though.

OT, lunar calender should work with the bd rom and day/night lens detector. Raust have you finished it yet?
RaustBlackDragon

TheAnarchitect wrote:Yeah. I sometimes wonder if that feature should be removed. It's just a cheat for shitty pathfinding.

Raust?
The feature makes no logical sense, and it basically means that pets are imbued with a spatial power normally exclusive to endermen, but it's a convenient solution to the inevitable AI shortcomings no matter what they do. I rather like it.

And I have no further comment on the matter, because this is the BTW forum section :)
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
RaustBlackDragon

SterlingRed wrote: OT, lunar calender should work with the bd rom and day/night lens detector. Raust have you finished it yet?
Nope, haven't even started. I lacked the resources at the time, so this was all a sort of concept question. I'm getting close to being able to make it now though :)
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:Yeah, for reasons I won't detail, I'm going to try and create a lunar calendar which will keep track of the lunar phase, so I can check it during the daytime.
Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that either doggy talents or magicats is getting a moon phase related update? :)
RaustBlackDragon

An alternative Idea I've come up with is a rather larger-scale thing, where a graphic display would actually show the current lunar phase using lens lights. If I used a sloped surface, would this be feasible?
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:An alternative Idea I've come up with is a rather larger-scale thing, where a graphic display would actually show the current lunar phase using lens lights. If I used a sloped surface, would this be feasible?
Yes, but that would just be the display. You still need the 'computer' behind it to tell the display what the lunar phase is. ie. You still need some day/night detection system. Then you need to set up the necessary memory bits and switches to change your display every x nights for each phase you want. It would be awesome! Not cheap though.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Use a lens to detect day/night
Use a single BD to store the phase of the moon
Use an array of lenses to create the moon display

Doesn't sounds hard and it should be rather cheap
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Gilberreke wrote:Use a lens to detect day/night
Use a single BD to store the phase of the moon
Use an array of lenses to create the moon display

Doesn't sounds hard and it should be rather cheap
Lenses would be the expensive part I was referring to, considering Raust is on a not uberly over stocked world from the sounds of it.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

SterlingRed wrote:Lenses would be the expensive part I was referring to, considering Raust is on a not uberly over stocked world from the sounds of it.
It depends on the size of the display. If you want to fully display the moon as it appears in-game (8x8 pixels), then you need 64 lenses and probably 64 BDs to set up the different images. So yeah, I agree, that would be expensive.

I can think of a few ways to do it cheaper though.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx