Giving the kiln block a separate texture

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
The great randomo

Giving the kiln block a separate texture

Post by The great randomo »

I dont know exactly what happens, but I know that when bricks are placed in a certain formation, they turn into kiln blocks, which have the exact same texture. Please can they have a separate texture for TP artists? If the block appears to change when a kiln is made, then less experienced players could find it easier to find a suitable formation.
Is this possible?
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Ribky

Re: Giving the kiln block a separate texture

Post by Ribky »

... why?

The kiln will be the huge mass of bricks over a hibachi... if the player who builds it can't find it, they should stick to playing minesweeper... poorly.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Aesthetics.
That is his main reason.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

Given the fact that you can make the kiln in multiple different ways, (You only need 4 bricks and a stoked hibachi) I'd say this definitely isn't going to happen.
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Yamboyz1 wrote:Given the fact that you can make the kiln in multiple different ways, (You only need 4 bricks and a stoked hibachi) I'd say this isn't going to happen.
IIRC, only the block that the unfired pottery is placed one becomes a 'kiln block' so you can only make a kiln block one way.

Having a separate texture for it might be nice tbh, It'd look weird if the kiln is turned on/off though. If this were to happen, I'd just suggest maybe adding a highlight to the top texture of the block so it looks all hot and stuff (as opposed to something entirely different)
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

This will not happen, if I remember the way things are coded properly.

It's not so much that there's a kiln 'block' made when you put brick in a proper configuration, it's that unfired pottery when placed checks it's surroundings to see if the conditions present equal a kiln.

Am I wrong, FC?
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Ethazeriel

Post by Ethazeriel »

If I recall, that used to be correct, but in order to allow pushing unfired pottery with a piston this functionality was moved into the brick block beneath the unfired pottery.
mr_spoonylegs

Post by mr_spoonylegs »

I don't know it seems like a decent idea, it wouldn't have to be a dramatic change just more weathered, like burnt, charred bricks
seems legit right
"My friends call me Spoonlegs"
And yes, I drew it myself.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Nah, I'm not down with this. It is only the block directly below the pottery that would be affected, which would just look weird.

Really, it would just be kind of a "cheat" display that wouldn't particularly make sense in an in-game context, and I'm not willing to put in extra work for that.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

FlowerChild wrote:Nah, I'm not down with this. It is only the block directly below the pottery that would be affected, which would just look weird.

Really, it would just be kind of a "cheat" display that wouldn't particularly make sense in an in-game context, and I'm not willing to put in extra work for that.
OK, i didnt realise that only the bottom block was a kiln block, i thought they all turned into kilns.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Cuchonchuir

Post by Cuchonchuir »

As a ceramist, I'm actually totally fine with it as it is now. Kilns are just made from fire brick, often coated in metal plates, so if you want an authentic look, cover the visible outside in iron blocks. :P They never really "look" hot unless you look inside. Even if you could change the way the bricks look just in kilns, it'd only make them look the color of sandstone or maybe end stone.