The Ideal Technological Advancement Location

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
scout37

The Ideal Technological Advancement Location

Post by scout37 »

Im a bit new to btw, and i want to know what geographic/natural features should be at or near the ideal starting location for a new BTW map
Living has been the #1 cause of death since time began.
RaustBlackDragon

Re: The Ideal Technological Advancement Location

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

scout37 wrote:Im a bit new to btw, and i want to know what geographic/natural features should be at or near the ideal starting location for a new BTW map

Having a desert nearby is nice, because then you can build a windmill that's immune to inclement weather.

Having trees nearby is important though, and having access to wolves especially.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I've done many playthroughs, and I just start wherever I like.

With BTB, you need to be a bit more selective due to the need for Oil, but with just BTW, I don't think it's something that you need to worry about too much.

Some people like to find areas that have a mountain-spring if they're playing with HCB enabled, but that's largely just an aesthetic consideration.
scout37

Post by scout37 »

I found what seems to be an ok place, so im taking a screenshot and uploading
er, how to i get a URL from my screenshots folder?
RaustBlackDragon

scout37 wrote:I found what seems to be an ok place, so im taking a screenshot and uploading
er, how to i get a URL from my screenshots folder?
Photobucket :)
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

imgur works well too.

As a new starter myself heres a few key factors I didn't consider on my first BTW world and ended up spending hours searching for wolves and oil....never did find oil sadly.

Key features to watch for, wolves, water, growing space, and as FC said, if your using BTB consider main oil sources as well.
scout37

Post by scout37 »

Got photobucket:

DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Well you have more than enough wood there and you wont even have to replant for ages, along with plenty of growing room for your wheat and hemp you look good to go, I think you get wolves around there as well.....not 100% sure on the whole biome to spawn thing with them yet.
scout37

Post by scout37 »

kk. Also, there is an ocean about 100 blocks to the left of the picture. im just a bit worried about flat land for building.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Like's been said, anywhere is fine really. The only area-specific resources in the mod so far are:
- wolves (for tanning leather)
- tree types (one of each sapling is required to make blood wood)
- spawners (for mossy cobble)

The last being the only thing you can't just just bring back to your base after exploring.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
scout37

Post by scout37 »

Thanks! i found a few wolves and built a small fence around them. Also found a nice, flat piece of land nearby
RaustBlackDragon

scout37 wrote:Thanks! i found a few wolves and built a small fence around them. Also found a nice, flat piece of land nearby
That sounds great! What version are you playing on, by the way? 1.1, or are you playing 1.2.3 in preparation?
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
scout37

Post by scout37 »

Im on 1.2.3

I held onto 1.1 for about 3 days playing my epic ssp mod-combo of nuclear powered, zepplin flying, fossil mining, Balkon's weaponizing, and millenaire-indian-mansion building. Then i decided enough was enough, and i had to fly my zepplin house 3k just to find the next village to continue the quest line with the normans.
RaustBlackDragon

scout37 wrote:Im on 1.2.3

I held onto 1.1 for about 3 days playing my epic ssp mod-combo of nuclear powered, zepplin flying, fossil mining, Balkon's weaponizing, and millenaire-indian-mansion building. Then i decided enough was enough, and i had to fly my zepplin house 3k just to find the next village to continue the quest line with the normans.
That's probably a good thing, because you'd need a new map to find ocelots and cats anyway, and it would be a shame to start up a BTW world if FC decides to do anything at all with the cats you wouldn't have access to.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote: That's probably a good thing, because you'd need a new map to find ocelots and cats anyway, and it would be a shame to start up a BTW world if FC decides to do anything at all with the cats you wouldn't have access to.
I don't think that's actually the case.

I know Jeb said awhile ago jungle biomes wouldn't appear in old maps, but I've seen no mention of it since, nor does it say so on the MC wiki.
scout37

Post by scout37 »

I have a few older maps that need conversions, i can check. But it is possible that the new biomes could spawn in new, ungenerated chunks.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Efforts to 'make' old maps have jungles in hasn't been mentioned once in all the various LPs I'm watching, and I'd assume something would have been said if extra effort was needed. Afaik, old maps generate jungles as well as new ones will.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
scout37

Post by scout37 »

Old maps DO generate jungle biomes! I had to fly about 7km to find one, and lose my Industrial craft map(my reactor was about to melt down anyway, so yeah) but i found one.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I tend to look for terrain features that would support a windmill, particularly vertical surfaces like ravines or sheer cliff faces. Other then that my selections tend to be practical. When i was playing with finite liquid i lived at the bottom of the valley so that i could collect water for farming and obisidan production, this produced a drainage nightmare though. When exams are over in May i think i'll try a Jungle and build my windmill in a jungle tree, well in a cluster of them i grow together provided Jeb doesn't change minecraft in some way that might give more appealing options.
scout37

Post by scout37 »

If you want to make a home in a jungle, i found neat litle quirk:
With jungle tree sapling, 4 in a square spawns a full sized jungle tree. BUT if there is not a full square, it lets you grow each individual tree right next to one another, no mater how little room there is. This can let you carve a house out of a solid tree.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Stormweaver wrote:Efforts to 'make' old maps have jungles in hasn't been mentioned once in all the various LPs I'm watching, and I'd assume something would have been said if extra effort was needed. Afaik, old maps generate jungles as well as new ones will.
Jungles will spawn naturally in old worlds. Etho had to go 100's of blocks (i think around 2000 blocks) to find one in his LP world, but he did find one, and the chuck border wasn't horrible.
Hockeycanucks

Post by Hockeycanucks »

I just loaded up my 1.1 btw world in 1.2.3 and found a jungle biome quite fast. They just seem to generate in the unexplored areas. Also should note that I didn't notice any errors between the new and old chunks. Seems the new generation does a good job of blending with the old.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

A short Offtopic question just that new patch was mentioned, Its better to upload now to btw 3.53 (i want to play with BTB) or to wait or it never be made compatible with MC 1.2.3 ?

Because my idea was to start a new map but with blueprints take my progress of the other world to an location more ideal for me but with new map high etc.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
scout37

Post by scout37 »

Im not sure if im following you here. FC is tracking down bugs in BTW. If he hadn't bothered finding and fixing bugs, then there would have been a massive, unknown glitch which causes Minecraft to crash when converting oldmaps to anvil. As fot6he reply itself, do not post replies that are incontext as their own topic. Make a new topic under the off-topic thread
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Donzaffi wrote:A short Offtopic question just that new patch was mentioned, Its better to upload now to btw 3.53 (i want to play with BTB) or to wait or it never be made compatible with MC 1.2.3 ?

Because my idea was to start a new map but with blueprints take my progress of the other world to an location more ideal for me but with new map high etc.
Update...now? Or wait?

It's kinda your call. BTB will likely only be a few days (following the standard update cycle) so if you want oil around your spawn, you may have to wait a couple of days...but that's it.