On a 1 to 30, where do you want the tech-tree to end?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
SgtChuckle

On a 1 to 30, where do you want the tech-tree to end?

Post by SgtChuckle »

If on a scale of one to thirty where 1 was caveman level tech "OG GET FIRE" and a 30 was, say, Industrialcraft, where do you want the BTW tech-tree to end up if it keeps getting more complex? Should it stop at about the mid-1800s level of tech, or should it keep evolving and moving forward in the history of technology? While Steve has been capable of advancing himself from a savage who hits trees with rocks to an engineer capable of automating many aspects of his life, do you think he can continue to do so and enter an age of tiny microchips? More importantly, do you think the mod needs to even progress, or will we be able to get everything we need while still in the age of Steel? And most importantly, would you even want him to keep progressing, or would a new age be against the spirit of BTW, no matter what steps would be involved in reaching it? Also, please note that this is postulation, not a suggestion. I'm not asking FC for a modern age any time soon.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Re: On a 1 to 30, where do you want the tech-tree to end?

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

There was an FC interview that said that the tech tree would not end, so long as whatever was added next fit in with what came before. and for the life of me I can't find a link to it. but from what I heard there is no current limit on how far this will go.
And HOW!
rmdashrrootsplat

Post by rmdashrrootsplat »

I don't think I'd want the tech-tree to end so long as it fits with the current jist of things.
morvelaira wrote:Do it! Burst into flames. Thank you! ...You! Flames!
Burst into Flames. Morvy demands it.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Yeah, I think it’ll be cool if BTW tech just keeps evolving up to modern stuff, never stopping.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

BTW version 17.3 - Steve builds spaceship and begins colonizing other planets

BTW version 25.9 - Steve begins an Intergalactic Democracy with beings from other planets

BTW version 36.2 - Steve enters a wormhole.... and is teleported to an inhabitated planet with beings of a "primitive" nature with only a lazer pistol (See "Star Ocean: The Second Story"

edited from:
Spoiler
Show
Kain Magin wrote:BTW version 17.3 - Steve builds spaceship and begins colonizing other planets

BTW version 25.9 - Steve begins an Intergalactic Democracy with beings from other planets

BTW version 36.2 - Steve enters a wormhole.... and is teleported to an inhospitable planet with little in the way of resources....
Last edited by Kain Magin on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
Gargantuan_Penguin

Kain Magin wrote:BTW version 17.3 - Steve builds spaceship and begins colonizing other planets

BTW version 36.2 - Steve enters a wormhole.... and is teleported to an inhospitable planet with little in the way of resources....
democracy? doesn't sound like steve...

36.2 full circle eh?
And HOW!
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

slightly changed my previous post, but oh well ^^

but yea, on a scale of 1 - 30... i chose 395!
Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:democracy? doesn't sound like steve...

36.2 full circle eh?
Meh... theres always a democracy... or at least a Federation... in space novels....

36.2 ^^ the other thing that normally happens when the tech level gets to high... shit happens... yu have to start over... be it weird alter dimension, teleportation, war, time-space continuum... pick one... lol

and it beats vMC's Ending ^^
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

"Steampunk"
Gargantuan_Penguin

Poppycocks wrote:"Steampunk"
<3

@Kain Magin just about anything beats the current minecraft ending.
And HOW!
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I'm curious as to how much time getting to space ships would take...
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

I'd guess, A LONG TIME. While a rocket could be as simple as Hellfire Dust, some other crap, and a steel casing, things like life support, navigation, storage, fuel, etc are some of the most high tech stuff in the world today. Right now, I give Steve's current level of technological capability based on the steel plate in the early 1600s. vMC, I'd put around the early 1400s, just after the Black Plague but right when the Renniscance is bringing things back. So, 200 years of advancement in the tech-tree right now, but a lot of revolutions from the Rennisance are not discovered by Steve yet. There's just so much technology from the history of mankind standing between steel plate armor and rockets, that I'd say the mod will never get that far.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Pfft, rockets.

Now a steam-powered camcoder, that's the thing!
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Camcorder, you say? Did you know that there's a picture in the files of Minecraft Pocket Edition called "camera.png" that looks like an old-timey camera with a drape and accordian. Not really related, but cool nothenless there might be a camera in vMC soon.
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

Anything but steampunk.

I'm sorry, but I am not a fan of the genre.

Anyways, I think we should Shoot for the Moon.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Caboose wrote:
Anything but steampunk.

I think we should shoot for moon in steam rockets :P

'S funny you don't like the genre, may I know why? Don't worry, I won't try to "convert" you :).
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Pedal powered rockets seems more appropriate for BTW ;)
Andellmere

Post by Andellmere »

Husbag3 wrote:Pedal powered rockets seems more appropriate for BTW ;)
Soul powered rockets. It not only flies in space, it screams too!

As for when the tech tree should end... I'm going with never. Let's see just how much of human history we can pack into one life! Steve: The Real Renaissance Man!
Need a combination door? I've got one you can use.
ialdbaoloth

Post by ialdbaoloth »

A nicely paced tech tree and designing things yourself rather than crafting magic blocks is more important than how high technology gets.
That said, it seems BTW is headed in a bit more magical/alchemical direction - weaponized poltergeists or greek fire more than pew-pew lasers.
Joeyjoebob

Post by Joeyjoebob »

Whenever FC gets tired of us.
TheAnarchitect wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence...
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I'd actually be disappointed to see steve go the way of real world tech. I'd much rather see more advancements like the block dispenser, which are highly advanced, yet dont fit into any "real" technology
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

Poppycocks wrote:
Caboose wrote:
Anything but steampunk.

'S funny you don't like the genre, may I know why? Don't worry, I won't try to "convert" you :).
I really like it when I get to watch a fictional world evolve over time, and Steampunk doesn't really visually represent that enough for me. Keeping steam as the singular power source kind of goes against that, I think, since newer and better power sources to accomplish bigger and more difficult tasks is a big part of technological development. I have the same problem with a lot of fantasy series in that sense.

I wouldn't have a problem with it being an age of BTW or something like that, but as the end-game I don't like the idea.
Xekrom337

Post by Xekrom337 »

two words.
steampunk galactic spaceships!
oh, and &e0. :D
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Caboose wrote:
Poppycocks wrote:
Caboose wrote:
Anything but steampunk.

I really like it when I get to watch a fictional world evolve over time, and Steampunk doesn't really visually represent that enough for me. Keeping steam as the singular power source kind of goes against that, I think, since newer and better power sources to accomplish bigger and more difficult tasks is a big part of technological development. I have the same problem with a lot of fantasy series in that sense.

I wouldn't have a problem with it being an age of BTW or something like that, but as the end-game I don't like the idea.
Heh. Well, I made a promise, so I'll just leave this at that :). Thanks for the clarification.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I would really like steve to explore the space around him. more then just the moon, but by that time, what reasources wouldn't you have masses of?
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I don't want to see BTW turn into one of those mods that adds other planets. It just wouldn't fit the theme.