cobblestone > gravel ''grinder''

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Aradanwen II

cobblestone > gravel ''grinder''

Post by Aradanwen II »

my suggestion is simple: a way to '''transform(crush)'' cobblestone into gravel, this would allow for renewable gravel and thus sand , sandstone and glass.
to balance it would likely need steel and multiple cobble for one gravel.
the reason is simple sandstone is a very popular building material but not renewable, and having to look at a dug away desert isnt fun.
but its really up to FC on how or if to put this in all im suggesting is a way to make gravel renewable.
Steve learns the same way he learns everything else: via maddeningly painful bursts of possibly psychic, definitely psychotic inspiration.
Gilberreke

Re: cobblestone > gravel ''grinder''

Post by Gilberreke »

This has been suggested multiple times in the past. That's not to say it's a bad idea, but yeah, use the search function next time.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Aradanwen II

Post by Aradanwen II »

i did but gravel, grinder and my other search terms didnt brought up what i was looking for.
Steve learns the same way he learns everything else: via maddeningly painful bursts of possibly psychic, definitely psychotic inspiration.
Panda

Post by Panda »

this would eliminate a need to go to the desert.... i dont like it..
Never say no to Panda.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

darkpollopesca wrote:this would eliminate a need to go to the desert.... i dont like it..
Yeah, as deserts are really fun places to sit and place torches under. Digging sand is monotonous, and It's one of a few resources I would love to see made renewable. That said, crushing cobble...I don't think is the right way to go.

Keep in mind that for some reason, gravel naturally occurs in the nether. Having the method relate to this somehow would, imo, be a lot more interesting as we'd get a bit more background on the nether while we're at it.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Aradanwen II wrote:i did but gravel, grinder and my other search terms didnt brought up what i was looking for.
Click the link in my previous post. First sentence is a link to the search terms "cobble gravel".

Post by 001010 »

Stormweaver wrote:Keep in mind that for some reason, gravel naturally occurs in the nether. Having the method relate to this somehow would, imo, be a lot more interesting as we'd get a bit more background on the nether while we're at it.
Hmm, thats true... Maybe it's becuase of 'fissures' in the fabric of reality (Described by FlowerChild here) that cause stone to come into the nether and then be broken up by a combination of the souls and heat of the nether? If that's how it works, then we could probably emulate those circumstances somehow by putting souls into heated cobblestone or something maybe.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I dunno, gravel is free, cobble is free, sand is free. A mechanic that lets us switch between them should be cheap and easy. Crushing 1 cobble into 1 gravel seems perfectly fine to me.

I'm also pretty sure that FC'll implement this once we have a proper block to do so, just like gravel to sand is also free in the hopper.

Are we really looking for interesting nether soul game mechanics dealing with gravel? FC could invest that same time into a new feature that doesn't require complex thinking to create... gravel.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Gilberreke wrote: Are we really looking for interesting nether soul game mechanics dealing with gravel? FC could invest that same time into a new feature that doesn't require complex thinking to create... gravel.
I was thinking less complex, more mossy cobble; A feature that suggests backstory by simple placement, instead of screaming, explosions, and a few day's worth of development time.

And while I wasn't actually thinking of a method even remotely similar to how mossy cobble actually works (I was using it to represent the scale of the feature involved) I have to admit, if it worked a similar way it could be a laugh. And a rather unique method of generating...anything. Hmm.

...Blegh, I somehow derailed myself. fml.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Stormweaver wrote:I was thinking less complex, more mossy cobble; A feature that suggests backstory by simple placement, instead of screaming, explosions, and a few day's worth of development time.

And while I wasn't actually thinking of a method even remotely similar to how mossy cobble actually works (I was using it to represent the scale of the feature involved) I have to admit, if it worked a similar way it could be a laugh. And a rather unique method of generating...anything. Hmm.

...Blegh, I somehow derailed myself. fml.
I don't know, apply sweet and sour. The sweet isn't sweet without the sour. For novel game mechanics like mossy spread to work, you also need the regular Joe blocks that are just there and worth nothing. Trying to apply a novel mechanic to each and every feature of BTW results in much longer development times, with the reward being useless blocks.

Sometimes you just want to generate some gravel.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Gilberreke wrote:
Stormweaver wrote: I don't know, apply sweet and sour. The sweet isn't sweet without the sour. For novel game mechanics like mossy spread to work, you also need the regular Joe blocks that are just there and worth nothing. Trying to apply a novel mechanic to each and every feature of BTW results in much longer development times, with the reward being useless blocks.

Sometimes you just want to generate some gravel.
Meh. Mid-post, my mind wondered and thought that it'd fit in well if Steve decides to make a block that does things in it's own right, but it's nature corrupts and twists the world (read: blocks) around it, making sturdy construction kinda necessary. Then as an added benefit, you can use it as an alternate gravel generator.

Sometimes you don't want a mechanic added just for the purpose of generating gravel, but it can make for a nice side effect.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Stormweaver wrote:but it can make for a nice side effect.
Yeah, sure, agreed. Making it a byproduct of another interesting system might be fun too.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Gilberreke wrote:I dunno, gravel is free, cobble is free, sand is free. A mechanic that lets us switch between them should be cheap and easy. Crushing 1 cobble into 1 gravel seems perfectly fine to me.

I'm also pretty sure that FC'll implement this once we have a proper block to do so, just like gravel to sand is also free in the hopper.

Are we really looking for interesting nether soul game mechanics dealing with gravel? FC could invest that same time into a new feature that doesn't require complex thinking to create... gravel.
My thought exactly :)
And I agreed, I'd love a way to get more sand/sandstone :)
Urian

Post by Urian »

I'm also in support of this. In fact, I remember suggesting it way back when the grindstone was first introduced :) The reason for a "no" back then was that the grindstone is for organic materials only but perhaps now we'll have better luck fetting it. I especially want a source for sandstone since I like building large, aestethic constructions with it :p
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Cornish Stamp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamp_mill

nuff said, it looks perfect for BTW

Could be something constructed similar to the kiln rather than a specialized block.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I like this. Sand is one of those things I always run out of and then let out a sigh of contempt and build some shovels.

And that thing... that Cornish Stamp Mill thing... I want one... like, in real life... friggin' awesome.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

darkpollopesca wrote:this would eliminate a need to go to the desert.... i dont like it..
Technically you don't need to go to the desert anyway. Beaches or natural gravel formations (nether and overworld) serve as sandstone/glass sources if you're economical with them. The only thing exclusive to the desert is cacti. I see no problem with this being implemented so long as it fits well and doesn't take up too much time.
ada221

Post by ada221 »

Heilkaiba wrote: Technically you don't need to go to the desert anyway. Beaches or natural gravel formations (nether and overworld) serve as sandstone/glass sources
wait...how do you get sandstone or glass from gravel? is this with the mod or vanilla? i thought it was only with sand...

edit: im stupid, its the hopper with the filter to seperate gravel into flint and sand....
-I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago; BTW is its own game to me

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I was,am, and always will be, in favour of a way to make sandstone a renewable resource. Period.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

That's one of the things I missed from IC, the ability to crush cobble into sand. Also, about that Stamp Mill thing, perhaps it could be a normal Millstone surrounded by certain blocks, like a Kiln-type setup? Or maybe, the ability could just be added to the normal Millstone without the need to upgrade or add new things.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Runesmith

Post by Runesmith »

I tried to extend on this idea by relating it to cobblestone accumulation (admittedly it was in the wrong subforum due to its strong BTB relevance),and FC shut it down expediently.

I'm sure he was focusing on my idea of making a new block out of lots of cobble, but he seemed against the cobble to sandstone conversion too.

At least that's how I interpreted it:
"Any resource you can make out of cobble can then be produced with a cobble-generator. There is basically an infinite supply of cobble available that the player can get at any time, so basing other resources on it will mean those resources can be similarly acquired.

So no, I won't be spending time adding resources that can just be produced out of thin air, or nerfing other resources by allowing them to be made out of cobble."
"First immortality... then the bitches."
elustran

Post by elustran »

Most people in this thread agree that a way to make gravel, and thus sand, sandstone, and glass is a good idea.

However, we wouldn't want to implement a grinding block just for the sake of grinding one item, so I think it bears mentioning some examples of other things the block could do, even if some examples seem a bit obvious: the grinding netherrack could be passed to the stamp mill, it could be useful for turning stone brick or smooth stone back into cobblestone, including stuff like stairs and slabs, glass could be rendered back into sand, and it could also be useful for crushing ores as a way render diamond, lapis, and redstone ores that have been acquired with silk touch.

So, if another grinding block was implemented based on the original idea of making gravel, that grinding block could serve other purposes as well, it could make the millstone seem a bit less overused, and it would add to the industrial aesthetics of the mod.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

For simplicity's sake, I think the millstone should do this, though I don't know how much sense this would make. This would make it very quick and easy, and remove the need ffor a new block. Though I don' t know if the millstone is the appropriate block.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

dawnraider wrote:For simplicity's sake, I think the millstone should do this, though I don't know how much sense this would make. This would make it very quick and easy, and remove the need ffor a new block. Though I don' t know if the millstone is the appropriate block.
I believe that this has been suggested and shot down multiple times in the past, in fact I remember reading a long thread on why the millstone wouldn't be used in that way, or maybe it was a similar way. my point is this, it isn't happening right now, or perhaps, ever. And while it is a popular idea, popularity is most definitely not one of FC's concerns. so my advice to you is to drop the issue for the moment and let the mod run it's course.
And HOW!
Xekrom337

Post by Xekrom337 »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:
dawnraider wrote:For simplicity's sake, I think the millstone should do this, though I don't know how much sense this would make. This would make it very quick and easy, and remove the need ffor a new block. Though I don' t know if the millstone is the appropriate block.
I believe that this has been suggested and shot down multiple times in the past, in fact I remember reading a long thread on why the millstone wouldn't be used in that way, or maybe it was a similar way. my point is this, it isn't happening right now, or perhaps, ever. And while it is a popular idea, popularity is most definitely not one of FC's concerns. so my advice to you is to drop the issue for the moment and let the mod run it's course.
actually, FC has said that the millstone is for organic stuff, with some item or other a strecth, i cant remember which item he said was a exception.
aynways, the stamp mill could give stone omnislabs a better home if this occured. i like the idea of a multi block stampmill more than a single block.