Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Katalliaan

Re: Morvelaira's MC News Compilation

Post by Katalliaan »

Elevator: 2723252156358377690 at -277,-208, according to the talk page on the subject on the MC wiki.

Also, more Twitter goodness:
mollstam wrote:http://i.imgur.com/1nWp1.png : 3
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Well SSP still exhibits SMP style lag glitches (yea yea, I know it's still a snapshot). Got killed by a zombie due to the fact I couldn't hit it. Also seems I can magically walk through mobs/animals. Honestly they should be focusing on the server/client/mod api stuff instead of adding features like ender chests.

Mind you adding new features takes peoples eyes away from the mod api and such. Well played Mojang..well played.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Elevatator

Does anybody notice this text?

Post by Elevatator »

Well, thats a fair deal:
Spoiler
Show
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just woke up a short while ago. Just read through the change-log on the MC wiki. Just had a whole series of face-palms even greater than what my pessimism told me I'd be experiencing.

So yeah, this update is actually far worse than I was dreading.

For example: "hey, multi-block mechanisms are so passe, let's just jam everything into one and have a Dispenser spit out water!".

It's funny that particular functionality was something I rejected for the BD long long ago because I knew it would have that effect. Less thinking, more clicking. That's what the update is about.

And hey: "Let's add more ores with no real intended use for them!". I really thought that was the domain of poorly thought out mods. Why are they ores? Why is that even necessary?

Will reserve further comment until later, when I am more fully awake. But yeah, a big "pffffft" to this.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

I have never been more disappointed by an update. For anything. Ever.

The only thing that I liked the sound of was "sandstone stairs" and "pyramids", but the pyramids look like some sort of abomination, and the loot yield is far too high.

Not to mention this adds EnderChest and EmeraldOre to the ever-diminishing, still-no-recent-news-on-4096 (as I call it, the mythical number) block IDs.

I can only imagine how many facepalms you had when reading it, FC.

I feel that I will not be updating to 1.3 until BTW is updated to it, not even on a separate .jar. It's just, not worth it.

Makes me all the more appreciative of you and your work, FC. Thank you.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

In all honesty, the only thing that 1.3 brings that even vaguely interests me is the fact that they're finally merging the codebases. Of course, this does have the unfortunate side-effect of simple but not well thought-out "features", as they have to add something to keep the people that don't understand that a major refactoring of code is both important and time-consuming.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Katalliaan wrote:In all honesty, the only thing that 1.3 brings that even vaguely interests me is the fact that they're finally merging the codebases. Of course, this does have the unfortunate side-effect of simple but not well thought-out "features", as they have to add something to keep the people that don't understand that a major refactoring of code is both important and time-consuming.
I agree, but there is a difference between adding something to keep people who don't understand that a rewrite of code takes time happy, and adding game debasing content.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I think the end result of this will be me returning to work on the "Anniversary Update" with a renewed passion.

Frankly, I'm even half-tempted to turn the mod into a TC at this point, but of course won't do that because I don't want to trash people's worlds.

Anyways, the sooner I distance myself from these kind of changes, the happier I will be. There's no point in me repeatedly banging my head against this wall.

To address a couple of points brought up here:

Yeah, not allowing the Hopper to deposit into Ender Chests was my first thought as well. I think that's a given in addition to any other changes I may need to make to compensate.

When was the last time any new functionality introduced in a pre-release was tweaked any further? The only instances I remember of that happening were when there were just plain old bugs that resulted like ice being able to create water-flow in the Nether. I really don't see something like trading receiving any further balance, and from what I read of the system on the MC wiki, it sounds like our fears were founded of EE making its way into vanilla, as you have things like some villagers being willing to give you emeralds for wheat, and others being willing to give you diamonds for emeralds.

Heck, there is even one villager type that will give you emeralds for rotten flesh, so we're talking automation that is fully possible with just vanilla and no mods installed.

Yeah, I despair. We just seem to be going into full-out bad-mod territory here. Like how does the new dispenser functionality even vaguely fit with the internal logic of how that thing works? Last update was bad enough with placing boats and minecarts with one, now we're able to *swallow* water source blocks too? Ok, so I guess it's some kind of input device now too. That's one versatile bow we got going there. I don't even have a vague explanation for what the block is actually supposed to be doing anymore.

As for Ender Chests, I really don't get why Ender Stone isn't in the recipe. One could argue that its questionable availability in SMP might be the concern, but at the same time, they've basically been designed to be useless in SMP, so that can't be it. Guess it was decided to just be "too hard".
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Yeah, I despair. We just seem to be going into full-out bad-mod territory here. Like how does the new dispenser functionality even vaguely fit with the internal logic of how that thing works? Last update was bad enough with placing boats and minecarts with one, now we're able to *swallow* water source blocks too? Ok, so I guess it's some kind of input device now too. That's one versatile bow we got going there. I don't even have a vague explanation for what the block is actually supposed to be doing anymore.
You know it's a kind of dispensywensy grabbywabby kind of bow thing... Like it shoots the bucket out of the bow and the bucket hits the water sucks it up and then is (???? bounces back) and then it sucks the bucket back in of course! I guess...
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: As for Ender Chests, I really don't get why Ender Stone isn't in the recipe. One could argue that its questionable availability in SMP might be the concern, but at the same time, they've basically been designed to be useless in SMP, so that can't be it. Guess it was decided to just be "too hard".
Yeah that would at least make it an interesting reward for 'beating' the game.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Better than wolves: For people who can think
Better than wolves, better than the one who thought of the new shit.

4096... I first read 40%
And thats the progress it will be for a long time.
Last edited by Elevatator on Thu May 24, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

FlowerChild wrote: Yeah, not allowing the Hopper to deposit into Ender Chests was my first thought as well. I think that's a given in addition to any other changes I may need to make to compensate.
One question. Is this to prevent item transportation over long distances, over dimensions, or both? I can understand not wanting players to have farms in the middle of nowhere and magically transporting items, but chests across dimensions is something I've actually always wanted, it brings quite a lot of automation potential...
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

embirrim wrote: One question. Is this to prevent item transportation over long distances, over dimensions, or both? I can understand not wanting players to have farms in the middle of nowhere and magically transporting items, but chests across dimensions is something I've actually always wanted, it brings quite a lot of automation potential...
Over long distances, I would say. The time stands in the other dimensions still.
It´s to prevent overpowered small farms.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, I think the end result of this will be me returning to work on the "Anniversary Update" with a renewed passion.

Frankly, I'm even half-tempted to turn the mod into a TC at this point, but of course won't do that because I don't want to trash people's worlds.

Anyways, the sooner I distance myself from these kind of changes, the happier I will be. There's no point in me repeatedly banging my head against this wall.
Well, that is certainly encouraging from my vantage point, but what is a TC?

Eitherway, I have to admit this "EE in Minecraft" mentality actually excites a perverse part of me. Since Feed the Beast is an impossible type of map to make without EE, perhaps this could be the thing that brings the genre to BTW/BTB. Odd goal of mine, but I want it. >.>
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

TC= Total Conversation
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Honestly, I have no firm problems in mind with the Ender Chests...yet.

However, the thing screams "potential exploits" at me when combined with automation. It's not something I would have personally built into the game, so my first instinct to to distance mod functionality from it to prevent an endless cycle of tweaks I'll likely have to make as people discover new ways to abuse it.

Having the Hopper just not deposit into it now will cut that short. If eventually I decide it is safe, I can easily reverse that decision later without breaking anyone's builds. If I just let it go however, and feel I need to disable it later, that will likely not be true.

So yeah, my instinct is to play it safe with this one.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Elevatator wrote:TC= Total Conversation
Yeah. It would basically mean that I'd rewrite any portions of the game that I don't like. You'd either be playing vanilla OR you'd be playing BTW. It wouldn't be an add-on anymore if I went that route, but kind of a separate game.

Again though, it's not something I'd actually do. Just a tempting thought that's been occurring to me more and more in moments of frustration.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

My secret hope is that the changes to vanilla will finally become so unbearable that FC will have to simply create his own game. And then I will be able to play that game for endless hours without ever tiring of it.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I think Conversion was meant instead of Conversation.

But yeah. Just means you need to get cracking on your own games, I suppose. *once again offers QA and project management experience*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Uhhm, have you ever played EE dear Morv? There is absolutely no way you can play that mod and have fun, unless you enjoy playing in creative mode. Playing, not testing, messing around, or doing challenge maps.

Seriously, almost everyone (I believe I'm talking for the majority of us here) is enjoying building automated farms a lot, and coming up with their own designs, improving existing, and figuring how stuff works.

Well guess what, with this system all you need is a village and a massive pumpkin farm. And you have everything you could ever need. No need for any other farm, except of course dung/hemp, but every single vanilla item is practically in infinite supply for you.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

To be honest Flowerchild, if the villager trading remains like this when 1.3 comes out, I think it would not be unreasonable to modify it when BTW is active. It doesn't appear that changing it would directly impact any other vanilla gameplay. But that's just my personal opinion, I'm sure you'll do what's best for the mod.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Actually a little config file option to turn it off would maybe be the simple solution..

EDIT: because straight up disabling it probably goes against the same thinking that made HCB an option.
War..
War never changes.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote:I think Conversion was meant instead of Conversation.
Indeed :)

I tend to kinda "speed read" when I'm frustrated and often don't notice stuff like that.
morvelaira wrote:But yeah. Just means you need to get cracking on your own games, I suppose. *once again offers QA and project management experience*
Yeah, it's certainly pushing me that way to be sure. Still thinking on it.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

*Gets behind and pushes harder*
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

That.. comes off wrong :P
War..
War never changes.