Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
SgtChuckle

Re: Morvelaira's MC News Compilation

Post by SgtChuckle »

Elevatator wrote:Interesting is this:
@Dinnerbone If you have water AND lava in it might not suck it back up btw. I just made obsidian. =P
So, Dispensers can pick up Water/Lava if there are buckets in, or can they just spit it out?
Or will the Dispenser become a Block Dispenser?

I hope Notch runs into jebs office at mojangs, shouting: "What have you done with my baby!"
To be fair, Notch started this downward trend in the first place IMHO.
Also, the Ender Chest is admittedly pretty interesting, but I'm disappointed that they didn't add the different color codes as well, as there can only be one serverwide Ender Chest inventory.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Alright, I have to admit, that ender chest is fun. By removing the color coding aspect of the mod, they made sure it's nicely balanced. Sure, it's a teleporting chest, but you only get one inventory. I don't see this affecting anything adversely, except maybe facilitating auto farms.

Proposed BTW change: just change it so hoppers can't drop into ender chests. That should kill any automation abuse.
SgtChuckle wrote:there can only be one serverwide Ender Chest inventory.
Really? I was hoping for one per player. That'd be just fine.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Gilberreke wrote:Alright, I have to admit, that ender chest is fun. By removing the color coding aspect of the mod, they made sure it's nicely balanced. Sure, it's a teleporting chest, but you only get one inventory. I don't see this affecting anything adversely, except maybe facilitating auto farms.
When you're mining, you find you don't have enough wood for more torches. Place your ender chest. Later, you find you have filled up you inventory with the good stuff. Place your ender chest. It's pretty much a back pack mod. :(
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Husbag3 wrote:When you're mining, you find you don't have enough wood for more torches. Place your ender chest. Later, you find you have filled up you inventory with the good stuff. Place your ender chest. It's pretty much a back pack mod. :(
Is back pack mod bad?

I don't know, it's not a design decision I'd make, but I don't see anything "OMG MINECRAFT IS OVER" about the ender chest. Trading is a different story, will have to test.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Just watched docm77's video on the snapshot. The new dispenser functionality is that they can use buckets to pick up and place water and lava.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Ender chests will be great for when I decide to move bases.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

■ Dispensers will eject Water and Lava source blocks (from buckets)
■ Will also take water and lava source blocks if there is an empty bucket inside
Oh ho ho... The beginnings of familiarity...
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Katalliaan wrote:The new dispenser functionality is that they can use buckets to pick up and place water and lava.
Heh, that'll be interesting. Another base class edit to make HCB work :/
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I've yet to see anything really alarming. Enderchests are fine as they are, if its a single inventory it's perfectly fine by me. I could even dare saying they are not that useful, apart from inv managment issues, and given how much I hate running out of inv space, yeah, I like that.

Trading I'm not so sure, if it is as simple as it seems it is really annoying, as it devalues a lot of farms. Why go to the trouble of making bookshelves more expensive, if you can just farm one thing in massive quantities and just buy bookshelves. Madness. But before I start despairing I'd rather have a more solid understanding of how it works.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Actually, the bucket thing has some interesting interaction with HCB mode.

I mean, it obviously won't place source blocks. But you could load up a dispenser with a bunch of buckets to create temporary water or lava flows as needed. It would be kinda like a short term BTB spout. So you could have mechanical power from a waterwheel wherever, but you'd need to physically carry water in buckets up to the tank to keep it running.

Now I'm thinking that if It can pick up water as well, And I can figure a way to empty the dispenser's inventory.... I could use vertical item transport to move water automatically from my well to where I need it.....Oh my this could be a fun design challenge.

I honestly can't think of a vanilla use for this feature, though. Slightly smaller footprint than a piston-based floodgate?
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

TheAnarchitect wrote:I mean, it obviously won't place source blocks.
Yes it will, unless FC mods the block.

Programming wise, the dispenser doesn't "use" the bucket, it places a source block and swaps water bucket for a new empty bucket.

So yeah, extra base class edit is needed.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Since it's a snapshot, i'm hopeful we can consider the trading system unfinished. Right now in an odd way it encourages farming since the villages will buy infinite quantities of the same resource. So vast quantities of say zombie flesh could get you lots of coin.

My personal hope is that there will be an upper limit to the amount they'll buy or an overall village financial capacity so players can't totally abuse the process. Also, if they want to encourage players to grow the villages, population thresholds before certain items will be produced would be sensible. If not, I'll be looking for a mod to fix that once this version is out. Guess we'll see when 1.3 is actually done.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Battlecat wrote:Since it's a snapshot, i'm hopeful we can consider the trading system unfinished.
That is also, sadly, the ONLY time we can reasonably hope to consider any feature unfinished. Once it gets put in the official release, they're considered done for at least 6 months, and they move on to new features. That's how it was with wolves and maps as well.

But worse than that, Jeb's vision of how it should work is the real problem, as it will in practice spell the end of non-renewable resources. Giving him more time to work on it might, if anything, make it even worse.

Seriously, maybe we should try and do something about this? Do something to get their attention? I absolutely hate sitting on my ass while horrible decisions that affect me are being made.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Battlecat wrote: My personal hope is that there will be an upper limit to the amount they'll buy or an overall village financial capacity so players can't totally abuse the process.
Please no. I don't want this to become Skyrim all over again.

@RaustBlackDragon:
I agree, this update could remove the need to explore the world (except for villages, obviously). The player will just buy clay, bones, soul sand, etc.
Last edited by Itamarcu on Thu May 24, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Catox

Post by Catox »

Really, this thing looks tedious enough to balance its eventual balance breaking issue.
It seems to take more and more trades to have a villager "level up" and propose 1 more trade possibility.
I've bought more than 200 Flint&Steel, being forced to throw them all in lava one by one each time my inventory was filled by those unstackable items, and this villager wont let me access his 6th trade option.

You'd have to be >extremely< lucky to easily be able to use this system like some EE functionality.
Apparently...
Elevatator

PLACENTAS!!!

Post by Elevatator »

So it could be that the trading system could be a bit complex, and not so much cheating?
Also, we should remember that were talking about snapshots, and that it is normal that trading und such things are unbalanced at this moment.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Dextralus

Post by Dextralus »

Ender chests eliminate a lot of the risk in SSP situations where you know of incoming danger - just pop your stuff in the chest and you won't have to worry about losing any of it.

In SMP though, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the inventory is shared for everyone. That'll be interesting.

Apparently you can get chainmail and XP bottles from the villagers.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

After watching docm's video on the snapshot and seeing the unbalanced trading. Yea it's a snapshot and it will be improved..the only things that are noteworthy are the boat fixes (no more lilypad icebergs) and stackable empty buckets.

Enderchests are too easy to craft, maybe have the 4 corners endstone instead of obsidian.

just my opinion, we just have to wait and see what happens.

"It's the end of survival as we know it and I don't feel fine."
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Does anyone know what happens when you destroy an Enderchest? does it spill its contents? do the items continue to exist after all chests are gone?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

itamarcu wrote:Does anyone know what happens when you destroy an Enderchest? does it spill its contents? do the items continue to exist after all chests are gone?
According to the wiki, it does not spill items and they are not lost if you destroy all chests.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Something that will be coming "soon":
http://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/statuses/ ... 9986319360
Dinnerbone wrote:Don't mind me, just dropping a screenshot of a "new" feature that I've been working on. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36087083/ZScree ... 121570.png

http://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/statuses/ ... 9773991936
Dinnerbone wrote:I'll let you guess what all of those buttons do. A new icon needs to be drawn up for the top right one, however.
Last edited by Katalliaan on Thu May 24, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Elevatator

Placenta affects us all! Join the fight!

Post by Elevatator »

Yes, you can put your items in it, break it, and take the items somewhere else out of the box.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Katallian, that looks pretty cool. I mean, current creative menu is just really bad, so I suppose it's impossible to make it worse...
Also, apparently the desert strongholds are rigged with TNT next to the chests. Quite a surprise.

EDIT: If the pressure plate was a wooden one... oh what a challenge that would provide.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

embirrim wrote:Katallian, that looks pretty cool. I mean, current creative menu is just really bad, so I suppose it's impossible to make it worse...
Also, apparently the desert strongholds are rigged with TNT next to the chests. Quite a surprise.

EDIT: If the pressure plate was a wooden one... oh what a challenge that would provide.
Exactly my first though, but then.. none at all. You can just dig down a sidetunnell, and break in the chamber from the sides picking the block immediately so it will never hit the plate. I think the simplicity of the trap is what is the best part, it will be triggered by overconfidence or forgetting it is there, rather than falling for it.

I still wish it was a wood plate though:P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: I still wish it was a wood plate though:P
Or a brandnew sandstone plate.

Can someone tell me a seed to find one of those temples?
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇