Unofficial Suggestions List

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Wolfman_123_

Re: Unofficial Suggestions List

Post by Wolfman_123_ »

mikello324 wrote:Title: Pipes
Spoiler
Show
Description: With new steam power coming, you should be able to use that kind tech to make pipes that could have several uses:

1) Transporting steam, from one device (maybe a turbine?) to another, so that you can move mechanical power. This new method of moving power is better than the axles/gearboxes method because axles are interupted by gearboxes, while pipes are not interrupted at all.

2) You can move items (like hemp or whatever) upwards (or in any other direction) without having to make a mess of pistons/water; transporting items through your base will be a lot easier/faster.

3) Moving water/lava, so you can pump lava up from the lakes near bedrock to the surface so that you have easy access to it for your furnaces. There could also be sprinkler heads attached to water-filled pipes so that you could spray water, making artificial rain.

4) This next one is a little quirky, but you could make larger pipes that will blast you upward so that you can quickly (and safely) move up and down between your mine and the surface. (Walking up and down all those stairs takes forever and a day)
[/spoiler]
1)As I already stated in my post but noone cared to look
2)Maybe like this http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/286 ... -building/
3)This might help http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/348 ... mpatibile/
4)Or just use this patch for pistons http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/228 ... h-updated/

I actually like Gilberreke's idea of crushers that might even give the stone from the ore aswell making it even more efficient

But to be honest steve is advanced enough for magnets and levitation yet as he hasnt entered a metal age, this would better to come after that when he gets to a modern era which would focus more on electronics
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

What you are thinking about is a sifter not a shifter that is what you find in a manual car (hopfuly with a glowing skull knob). i don't know how much merit you idea has I would like to go through it and clean it up/ tweak it so it has a chance.
Haniale wrote:Title: Dirt sifter
Use: Collecting minerals out of dirt after it because mostly useless later in the game
Recipe: Magnets=(@), Stone/wood=(&), Filter{Wicker, grate, etc}=(#), P=piston
Code:
[&][P ][&]
[@][#][@]
[&][&][&]

Interface: none
Purpose: Currently, putting gravel over a hopper with a wicker filter will place sand in the hopper and let flint pass over it. In a suitable technological age, Steve would be able to filter out other items user magnets or new filters. A piston would push the dirt through the filter and get destroyed with with a low chance (10%) it has some minerals in it (1 iron dust) which is added to the sifters hopper. The dust can be collected and placed in a furnace to form an iron bar with 9 dust equaling 1 raw ore. Repeat for redstone, gold, etc.

I don't know if the magnets are needed or even if it needs to be limited to just crushing/sifting dirt depends on how advanced Steve is at the time. If this device only creates new item ids(dusts & ingot) without block ids, it could be a good way to expand working material. But then again that is a slippery slop, how many mods added X new minerals and have no use for them. but then we have the option of smelting if we have iron dusts making recipes for different metals like we have for tnt.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

the_fodder wrote:
-SNIP-
Haniale wrote:
-SNIP-

I don't know if the magnets are needed or even if it needs to be limited to just crushing/sifting dirt depends on how advanced Steve is at the time. If this device only creates new item ids(dusts & ingot) without block ids, it could be a good way to expand working material. But then again that is a slippery slop, how many mods added X new minerals and have no use for them. but then we have the option of smelting if we have iron dusts making recipes for different metals like we have for tnt.

I think what he needs the magnet for is, when the dirt is 'sifted' the magnet can draw out all the minerals that are 'hidden' in the dirt. BUT if this was possible it wouldn't be able to get coal, gold, diamonds or redstone. So the only extractable mineral would be iron (its the only magnetic one) and so you would only need to add 2 item ID's (the sifter and iron dust) then after the dust has been collected (50%chance of 1 'iron dust' per block of dirt) you would need to smelt it into ingots (after 3 dust have gone thru an ingot pops into the output of the furnace) and if there is not enough fuel to finish the dust (fractions are not compatible) then the furnace will act as tho there is nothing in the input of the furnace!
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

it should use Magic!

There is hope for it. One block id that creates new material in the form of item IDs , this way we don't need to start new worlds to get the new mineral deposits. and we are not creating new blocks just to destroy them to get the items out of it.

new recipe idea turns this into an advanced hopper of sorts. you place your block in it gets 'crushed' by the pistons and then the filters (changeable like on the hopper) sift though the debris and have a low chance of collecting the mineral, this would use the same math that is applied to your chance of getting diamond or redstone.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

the_fodder wrote:it should use Magic!

There is hope for it. One block id that creates new material in the form of item IDs , this way we don't need to start new worlds to get the new mineral deposits. and we are not creating new blocks just to destroy them to get the items out of it.

new recipe idea turns this into an advanced hopper of sorts. you place your block in it gets 'crushed' by the pistons and then the filters (changeable like on the hopper) sift though the debris and have a low chance of collecting the mineral, this would use the same math that is applied to your chance of getting diamond or redstone.
Ohhh and to save on block ID's, you could use the same sort of subscript that the different colors of wool uses!!

EX:
(These Id's are not correct)

Diamond ID : 125
Diamond Dust ID: 125_1

Iron ID : 126
Iron Dust ID: 126_1

Redstone Dust ID: 127
... Yeahhhh..

Gold ID: 128
Gold Dust ID: 128_1

...ETC,

This should work really well because the ingots are all items and the mineral dust would also be all items.

Hoping that this is all correct (cept for the ID's of course!!)

*Hoping To Spark Controversy/ New Ideas
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

New Suggestion: The Dump Minecart

We know that BDs will collect a storage minecart and that will spill its contents, but this is a lot of work to do for easy collection, therefore I propose the idea of a minecart that dumps its contents to the opposite side it recieves mechanical power from.

Let me explain this a little further. The Dump Minecart would be able to receive mechanical power from either of it's two sides that face away from the track. Upon stopping next to an axle and receiving mechanical power from it, it would empty its contents to the opposite side of the track.

Further, this minecart would either recieve items by them being dumped into it or from a hopper. I picture it as being under a water stream and collecting items into it just as a hopper does. Also, just like a hopper, it sends out a redstone signal when full.

Here is a mock up of a recipe that it could use.
Spoiler
Show
This is a proposed recipe for the dump minecart. The two gearboxes are so that it can recieve and translate mechanical power into power for the piston.

The piston is the part that would actually do the dumping (makes sense to me, could also be a sticky piston?)

The hopper could either be a hopper (if it was to have the ability to suck in items like a hopper) or a normal chest like a storage minecart, but I feel a hopper is best because that explains some of the reasoning for it to be able to dump items out (similar to a hopper).

The extra iron is to add extra weight to the cart (it needs a lower center of gravity to not tip over upon dumping).

I'm also not opposed to there being some paneling/moulding in the recipe (to have it higher in the tech tree). That way storage minecarts wouldn't be obsolete until you acquire a saw.
I think this would make vertical and or long distance item transport truly efficient.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

How about adding bone glue? It could be used in variety of different things, from blades for the waterwheel to more complex decorative blocks made by gluing together combination of panels, moldings and corners, and I imagine you could find some other uses too.
You would make it by grinding down bones with the mill stone then boiling them in a cauldron. Grinding part could be ignored (I remember Flower saying he doesn't want to stretch millstone functions too much) and you could just produce it by boiling bonemeal, but I think grinding is nice way to incorporate the mechanical infrastructure in it. And I think you should need grindstone to produce bonemeal anyway, but I understand not wanting to mess with the base classes.
Last edited by Ferrus.Manus on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
AgentPaper

Post by AgentPaper »

KriiEiter wrote:New Suggestion: The Dump Minecart

We know that BDs will collect a storage minecart and that will spill its contents, but this is a lot of work to do for easy collection, therefore I propose the idea of a minecart that dumps its contents to the opposite side it recieves mechanical power from.

Let me explain this a little further. The Dump Minecart would be able to receive mechanical power from either of it's two sides that face away from the track. Upon stopping next to an axle and receiving mechanical power from it, it would empty its contents to the opposite side of the track.

Further, this minecart would either recieve items by them being dumped into it or from a hopper. I picture it as being under a water stream and collecting items into it just as a hopper does. Also, just like a hopper, it sends out a redstone signal when full.

Here is a mock up of a recipe that it could use.
Spoiler
Show
This is a proposed recipe for the dump minecart. The two gearboxes are so that it can recieve and translate mechanical power into power for the piston.

The piston is the part that would actually do the dumping (makes sense to me, could also be a sticky piston?)

The hopper could either be a hopper (if it was to have the ability to suck in items like a hopper) or a normal chest like a storage minecart, but I feel a hopper is best because that explains some of the reasoning for it to be able to dump items out (similar to a hopper).

The extra iron is to add extra weight to the cart (it needs a lower center of gravity to not tip over upon dumping).

I'm also not opposed to there being some paneling/moulding in the recipe (to have it higher in the tech tree). That way storage minecarts wouldn't be obsolete until you acquire a saw.
I think this would make vertical and or long distance item transport truly efficient.

Now that's an interesting idea. Might be a bit difficult to implement, though, so I would suggest instead a "open bottom" minecart, which when the block below the tracks it's on is a hopper, then it just automatically drops any items into that hopper, unless the hopper is full or the item can't go through the filter. This would of course require that tracks be placable on a hopper, but I would assume that wouldn't be too hard to change. This could either be a new type of storage minecart, or it could just be added in as a functionality for the normal storage minecart when over a hopper. (Or maybe just over a powered hopper?)
cheechako

Post by cheechako »

AgentPaper wrote: Now that's an interesting idea. Might be a bit difficult to implement, though, so I would suggest instead a "open bottom" minecart, which when the block below the tracks it's on is a hopper, then it just automatically drops any items into that hopper, unless the hopper is full or the item can't go through the filter. This would of course require that tracks be placable on a hopper, but I would assume that wouldn't be too hard to change. This could either be a new type of storage minecart, or it could just be added in as a functionality for the normal storage minecart when over a hopper. (Or maybe just over a powered hopper?)
Coal Train Bottom Dump Hopper (Note that "hopper" is the train car itself, and not a BTW hopper.)

I think the current minecart should work without changes, and whatever block (hopper or new block) is under the cart has the emptying code. Of course, it should use mechanical power. The real world train cars are loaded from the top, just like we do in BTW - so this is a tried and true method, and not as complex (at least in real life) as tipping machines.

Because gravity (an odd concept in MC, I'll admit) does the work, I don't think a filter should work in this case - everything is dumped. Perhaps the minecart rail takes up the filter's slot.
"That's the nice thing about mods. There's something for everyone. Some of us like to build functional elevators, while others want to run around with a bunny on their head."
AgentPaper

Post by AgentPaper »

cheechako wrote:
AgentPaper wrote: Now that's an interesting idea. Might be a bit difficult to implement, though, so I would suggest instead a "open bottom" minecart, which when the block below the tracks it's on is a hopper, then it just automatically drops any items into that hopper, unless the hopper is full or the item can't go through the filter. This would of course require that tracks be placable on a hopper, but I would assume that wouldn't be too hard to change. This could either be a new type of storage minecart, or it could just be added in as a functionality for the normal storage minecart when over a hopper. (Or maybe just over a powered hopper?)
Coal Train Bottom Dump Hopper (Note that "hopper" is the train car itself, and not a BTW hopper.)

I think the current minecart should work without changes, and whatever block (hopper or new block) is under the cart has the emptying code. Of course, it should use mechanical power. The real world train cars are loaded from the top, just like we do in BTW - so this is a tried and true method, and not as complex (at least in real life) as tipping machines.

Because gravity (an odd concept in MC, I'll admit) does the work, I don't think a filter should work in this case - everything is dumped. Perhaps the minecart rail takes up the filter's slot.
Yeah, probably best to keep things simple and just add functionality to the hopper, or an advanced version of the hopper. Hopper receives power, and any minecart above it is emptied of anything that would fit through that hopper's filter. Probably shouldn't take the minecart rails into account as a filter, though, since that would just limit the functionality most likely. If rails were implemented as a filter though, then they would need to at least be able to let blocks like cobblestone and ores and the like through.
cheechako

Post by cheechako »

AgentPaper wrote:Probably shouldn't take the minecart rails into account as a filter, though, since that would just limit the functionality most likely. If rails were implemented as a filter though, then they would need to at least be able to let blocks like cobblestone and ores and the like through.
You misunderstood. I think a filter would be inappropriate in this situation. My way of explaining it in game is that, because you have a rail on top, you cannot also have a filter. The rail does not filter anything; everything from large blocks to tiny grains of sand will fall through.
"That's the nice thing about mods. There's something for everyone. Some of us like to build functional elevators, while others want to run around with a bunny on their head."
AgentPaper

Post by AgentPaper »

I've been thinking about the whole finite mechanical power problem some more, and I had an idea:

What if, instead of having each and every single axle and gearbox remember how much power it currently has, we instead have the power source (waterwheel/windmill/whatever) do all the calculations itself? Basically, whenever a windmill turns on, it follows the path of axles and gearboxes connected to it to all of the various objects it's powering, and adds up the "torque consumption" of those objects. If the consumption is larger than the designated output of that power source, then it simply stops providing power (or doesn't in the first place). Then, if any new gearboxes or axles or other torque-consuming blocks are placed, then they'll check to see if they're connected to a power source, and if they are, then they'll ask that power source to update itself to make sure it's got enough torque. Same thing when one is removed, it'll see if it was connected to a power source, and if it was, then it'll have it check to see if there's enough power.

I'll admit I'm no minecraft modding guru, but from my understanding of programming and how the game works, this shouldn't require any usage of the meta data storage, since it's just doing some math and checking a few static values (torque consumption and generation of specific block types). Some optimization might be to make it so that if it's running and something is removed, or if it's not running and something is placed, then it doesn't check the whole system since there's no way that change could have changed the state of the system as a whole.

The main problem I can see with this is with very large systems of mechanisms all linked to one power source, which could cause lag with each axle placed/removed from it, and a system that has more than one power source linked to it, which would complicate the math involved. Fortunately, both of these can be solved by simply not allowing a single power source to be attached to another directly.
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

I'd like to suggest to add 'Mud' (I already suggested it on Minecraft Forum, but I'm not sure if you've seen it, but of course, I alson can be wrong >.o)
It should work like cement, but when it gets solid, to be dirt, instead of Smooth Stone.

The use of it could be (building, traps, etc. of course) to make nice flat grassy areas. I always build on savannah cause of the nice (mainly) flat area, but I still have tu do a lot of digging and replacing to make it more horizontal. This could help a lot in it.

Abount the crafting? Well, just useing a crafting table is a bit old by now, almost all the stuff we use comes from (or through) the crafting table, so I thought it could be done somehow with the weather (rain) wich currently doesn't have too much use. Maybe makeing a special barrel, and fill it with dirt (like the hopper), and wait for the rain?
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

'If you want to teach something, you shall be the liveing example of it.'
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

CheGiuAn wrote:I'd like to suggest to add 'Mud' (I already suggested it on Minecraft Forum, but I'm not sure if you've seen it, but of course, I alson can be wrong >.o)
It should work like cement, but when it gets solid, to be dirt, instead of Smooth Stone.

The use of it could be (building, traps, etc. of course) to make nice flat grassy areas. I always build on savannah cause of the nice (mainly) flat area, but I still have tu do a lot of digging and replacing to make it more horizontal. This could help a lot in it.

Abount the crafting? Well, just useing a crafting table is a bit old by now, almost all the stuff we use comes from (or through) the crafting table, so I thought it could be done somehow with the weather (rain) wich currently doesn't have too much use. Maybe makeing a special barrel, and fill it with dirt (like the hopper), and wait for the rain?
Mud has been suggested, and I don't think FC wants to add it. But the crafting part of your suggestion is interesting.
emmasteadman

Post by emmasteadman »

Suggestion:

Not really tech related per say, but I'd like to see a lot more plants introduced. Ones that like Hemp could be grinded to make something else.
i.e. herbs to heal health, breathe underwater, alterantives to slimes for glue, vines etc, or even just different coloured flowers.

Be nice to have several greenhouse farms all cultivating certain plants :)

Emma
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

request for handcrank to to be an omniblock or at least attach to the axle.
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

I sincerly hope this wasn't already suggest somewhere else or that you even stated something in this regard FlowerChild (it gets kinda hard to check what you already denied), but whenever I start building something I tend to run into certain problems. On of them is the often mentioned redstone delay that messes up timing on large contraptions, especially elevators because of the bad means to transmit redstone signals upwards/downwards and the basic delay of redstone repeaters. The other one is the lack of some kind of hydraulic piston that has more than two states or better has a variable length it extends.

The first one will probably be fixed should you introduce lenses (if that is still planned ofc). The other one is something that could be "fixed" (should it even be a problem for other ppl than me) by introducing some kind of gearbox that pushes out a cograil from one side to the other if mechanical power is applied. It would be based around something like this
Spoiler
Show
just with the diffrence that the cog would be static and the cograil would extend. If it hits an anchor on either side while extending/minimizing it could hook up to the anchor and work like a sticky piston. The length it extends would be controled by adding cograils to one of the extending sides (or feed it like the pulley) limited to a certain length of course.

This has certain advantages over your everyday piston.
First of all it's more balanced for short distances (mechanical power is way harder to harness than redstone "power") and even for large distances (5-8 blocks imho) as the cograil would take up space in the other direction if it is not extended. Furthermore it would allow for diffrent distances enabling us to build broader gates (even your block dispencer allows only 2 block wide and x block high gateways) and a upwards moving gate does not exactly match every room thanks to the platform limitation. It might even allow for rising platforms w/o the need to build some crazy pulley constructions which are easy to spot from a mile away, though this is where it might conflict with the niche of pulleys, even though a cograil certainly shouldn't expand more han 5-8 blocks anyway. Then there is also the option to build some kind of switch depending on which side it currently extrends (maybe a smaler XOR-Gate?).

So I'm done, feel free to criticise :).
RHCPepperfan

Feature suggestion

Post by RHCPepperfan »

Since I'm not yet allowed to post in the Gold Feature Topic...

About the smaller wooden slaps:
There are a few things that bug me with the wooden blocks which can be chopped in half, the thing is you can't stack them on eachother which makes you unable to make cornors or other things with them. Is there a way to fix this?

Other then that, maybe it is a good feature to allow you to also chop wool blocks, stone, bricks, and cobblestone blocks into small pieces. The wool blocks can be done by the saw and the stone/brick/cobblestone ones by the a diamond blade saw?

Discuss.

Moved to the suggestions topic, the Golden Feature Suggestions is merely the cream of the pick from this topic.
/Urian
Thalmane

Re: Feature suggestion

Post by Thalmane »

RHCPepperfan wrote: About the smaller wooden slaps:
There are a few things that bug me with the wooden blocks which can be chopped in half, the thing is you can't stack them on eachother which makes you unable to make cornors or other things with them. Is there a way to fix this?
Isn't possible. Almost all of the block data is takin up by the different ways it can be placed. The rest of the data is used to determine if it is wood or stone. Plus if it were possible it wouldn't happen. Normal wood/stone slabs require two block ids. One for the half slab and one for the double slab. So if the moulding could do as you'd like it'd take a total of 4 ids. And the corners would just be ridiculous with how many theyd need. Block ids are too limited to allow them to be used in that quantity for some that is just simply aesthetic.
Sky_Som

Post by Sky_Som »

the_fodder wrote:request for handcrank to to be an omniblock or at least attach to the axle.
Maybe make it so that you can attach an axles from the bottom, kinda like the mill stone can?
Minecraft Name:Sky_Som
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

hmmm, not too important, but it seems more logical now, to use glue too, when you make moulding from 2x corners, half blocks from 2x mouldings, and blocks from 2x half block? o.< they have to stick together somehow.

also: nothing like I don't believe that you know that FC don't want to add mud (as you said, it's already been suggested), but I'd like to hear the 'NO' from him too.
(sorry for not beeing patient to see if it will / won't be in the game, or wanting you to spend even more time answering simple questions, but I'd like to know the answer)
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

He already said "no" on the mud idea, it's in the FAQ I believe.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

If the haft and bellow is really leading to smithing & smelthning in the future, then 'clay' could be used to make 'moulds' for example smelting iron pickaxe head / sword blade, etc. (and stuff made of metals, to make it a more harder/ more thechnological-level-based to get better stuffs)
Also 'clay' could be used to make bowl, cuz for me, the wooden bowl seems a bit odd. (The 'Turnabale' could be used in some way as a 'potter's wheel', to make 'clay bowls', and 'clay jugs', (wich can contain water), and fire these in a furnace to can be used), also seems more logical to have a clay pot(I mean the 'jug' here) first, than a bucket to serve a water-containing purpose, (but the the turnable-as-potter's wheel idea is not too good)

I also like to know that what direction would FC like for the mod to take (as I read, he's not wisiting this post regularly, so how/where can I ask him about it? ).
Let me explain my question.
The mod can take a few directions in the future, like: more technological-level-based, more makeing-things-look-nicer-based (sorry for the many '-' -s o.<), more real-life-technology & logic-based, etc.
So if we could know wich direction FC would like to chose, it could make our 'work of suggesting' a lot easyer, we might find more ideas that could catch wether FC's or the Turtles attention more easily.

P.S.: sorry that as a new guy, I have so big mouth (at least it seems like so to me), I'd like to help somehow (I think you'll understand that helping-by-staying-quite doesn't really satisfies my hunger of speaking >.>), and also sorry for begging for pardon that much >.<

Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I think the direction of BTW is crystal clear, unless FC decides on a new path. The key to everything is progression. Each item builds on top of the next.

If you want to suggest something, just look at the previous technological "age". Right now we're looking mechanical power in a wood age, so most people are expecting an iron age next, with steam being a possible transportation of power. I imagine that ideas like smelting, foundries, anvils, blacksmith gear, uses for bellows and tallow are your best bet for giving suggestions in line with BTW's direction.

We might all be wrong about the iron age thing, so ask yourself the question "what would I do after a wood age in terms of progression?", because you can be sure that's an actual question FC is already answering.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

you can also read this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13