Unofficial Suggestions List

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
magikeh

Re: Unofficial Suggestions List

Post by magikeh »

the_fodder wrote: umm.. "Unofficial Suggestions That Better Be Good Or we will make fun of you." thread.

LOL... ill think into it ;D

---------EDIT---------
CHECK THE OP IT HAZ BEEN CHANGED!!

INPUT NEEDED

----Doubley Edit------------
Woot Passed 200 Posts!! Keep Up The Great Work All!!
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Verloren

Post by Verloren »

Craftmatic wrote: This is true. Perhaps there should be two suggestion threads, one for serious ideas for which the suggester has a well-reasoned explanation as to why his suggestion fits into the scope of the mod, and another for jokes, personal requests, and any suggestion that one might feel is of questionable validity within the scope of the mod. I think one of the difficulties in making a suggestion for a mod that had 500+ pages on its official thread is that it's tough to parse just what it is the author has said no to. The truth is it might be a little presumptuous to make any suggestions at all... the author probably has a pretty clear, if loose, idea as to how he wants to shape the mod as it develops. Perhaps if the intended scope were to be made a little more clear, people would be more judicious with their suggestions.
That won't work too well. What you or I may think is trivial/a joke suggestion, another person may contemplate as a needed addition to the BTW.

Eg - steam power leads to electricity generation. Completely pointless because of redstone/redstone torches already in game.
presl

Post by presl »

Suggestion:

OpenCraft as a new way how to craft objects...

what means "Open" ??
--> means that you DON'T need a crafting table! but more something like a GLUE! like slime

My idea is, that for example you place a block of stone than put on one side the slime
(this should look like the slime-side on the sticky piston)
and than place another block of stone next to the side with the slime.

What did we do? we connected two blocks of stone together!
means: now they interact like one block!
--> example: place a piston on the longer side of the cuboid... now the piston doesn't push only one block forward but both!!! ->one block<-

(as they one block it should be, that if you tear off one of the blocks, everything what's connected should also be tear off!)

This is just a very simple example of what you can do...
the main advantage will be that if you make things like a steamboiler ;) you don't have one huge crafted objekt but a selfmade one, which you can maybe adapt to your claims.

lg presl
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Suggestion:
The Hoe Block

the hoe block would be made as follows
[air][Iron hoe][air]
[Iron hoe][gear][Iron hoe]
[air][Iron hoe][air]

[this block may have a certain life span like 100 uses or something Up to flower if you make it ]

the hoe block would prepare the ground on the sides of it for planting . this could make wheat farming a bit easier. as using a piston on the wheat Compacts the ground so you're Block dispensers don't work any more ( cant place seed's on unprepaired ground) .

This would end the automation era as now food could be auto perpaired by Fully mechanical means.
Urian

Post by Urian »

BigShinyToys wrote:Suggestion:
The Hoe Block

the hoe block would be made as follows
[air][Iron hoe][air]
[Iron hoe][gear][Iron hoe]
[air][Iron hoe][air]

[this block may have a certain life span like 100 uses or something Up to flower if you make it ]

the hoe block would prepare the ground on the sides of it for planting . this could make wheat farming a bit easier. as using a piston on the wheat Compacts the ground so you're Block dispensers don't work any more ( cant place seed's on unprepaired ground) .

This would end the automation era as now food could be auto perpaired by Fully mechanical means.
You can already make an automated wheat farm, just harvest by using water. The problem is efficient timing since the time it takes for wheat to grow varies and falls in a quite large range.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Urian wrote: You can already make an automated wheat farm, just harvest by using water. The problem is efficient timing since the time it takes for wheat to grow varies and falls in a quite large range.
So having a clock with a huge gap is the probblem. every time i farm wheat i fail to make more wheat that the seed's i use . Thanks for the advice I still think a Hoe block could come in handy.
Urian

Post by Urian »

BigShinyToys wrote:[So having a clock with a huge gap is the probblem. every time i farm wheat i fail to make more wheat that the seed's i use . Thanks for the advice I still think a Hoe block could come in handy.
Could you explain how would it come in handy? As I said, we already have the ability to harvest wheat without needing to hoe it again. Using water is also cheaper since you only need one piston per water source (usually one per 1-2 rows of wheat) instead of one piston per wheat and it harvests both wheat and seed.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
VonGod

Post by VonGod »

the_fodder wrote:thank god I was up with you going "yes! that's perfect"until you mentioned the boat. I really like how the advanced workbench is evolving.
Like I said, the boat thing doesn't necessarily have to be true. It's just an example of how to implement Adv. Workbench.
Alternate ideas could easily be made, and the Adv. Workbech would operate the same way.

Either way, I personally think it's a good idea, so as to why I picked it out to help with in the first place.
Been through this thread, lots of good and bad. Interesting to see these ideas, though.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Craftmatic wrote: This is true. Perhaps there should be two suggestion threads, one for serious ideas for which the suggester has a well-reasoned explanation as to why his suggestion fits into the scope of the mod, and another for jokes, personal requests, and any suggestion that one might feel is of questionable validity within the scope of the mod.
Not gonna happen.
When people see a cool mod, everybody think that they have THE idea of the century, and want to post it.
95% of the time, their idea :
-would cause performance issue
-is not related to this mod
-doesn't fit the vanilla Minecraft spirit
-is just stupid
If we made two topics like you said, everybody will think that their idea belong to the serious ideas' topic anyway.
One topic is already enough to read for us Turtle to try and find something usefull in it.

And Flower already have tons of ideas to implement, he doesn't really need help for that. This topic is made to make you guys happy, and because, on rare occasion, there's something really new and interesting posted here.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

BigShinyToys wrote: Thanks for the advice I still think a Hoe block could come in handy.
The problem I see is its too specialized, and not a multi-tasker. look at all the blocks in minecraft they can all be used more then one way.

caldron=bulk food prep / tan leather/ ..
hibachi = heat source (caldron / mob killer / future uses)
detector /block dispenser = could fill a book .

That block would be a one trick pony.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

I posted this in the minecraft forums, somewhere around page 304 i think. Bu i find it worth re-posting. It breaks away from the btw feel a bit, but it comes back around with graphite.

It bothers me how fires just destroy wood; it burns then it just disappears. I think it should leave an ash block behind, a burnt piece of wood to maintain your layout, but if you walk on it it may not support the weight and break. Burnt logs would drop charcoal, burnt planks would have a 1/4 chance of dropping charcoal. Charcoal is already in the game, this is another way to get it; also i suggest a new use for charcoal: put it in the mill to get graphite. Graphite is used (IRL) as a type of dry lubricant, it reduces friction and makes things slide a bit easier. (anyone who has ever participated in a pine wood or soap box derby knows what i am talking about.) also, it's more commonly used in pencils, so it doubles as another type of black dye.

the main use for these blocks/items would be to make fire a bit more realistic, to leave behind "ruins," and it may have practical uses in the mechanical area as a mob trap.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Fake edit/ Noticed that FC commented that he noticed the suggestion and made note of it. So talking about the Advanced Workbench has just turned into mental masturbation but I wasted a good portion of my work day typing this up so I am going to post it anyway.

Lets see if we can flesh it out to a basic design/ idea behind Advanced workbench. I have combined all the suggestions (in spoilers at bottom) into what I envision the end product turning into, If you disagree with a part or have alternate suggestion voice your opinion with the pro / con of the original or alt. please try to keep your ideas concise avoiding block text and [ spoil] what you are quoting so we don’t have to scroll back to figure out what you are talking about.

Title: Advanced workbench / tool bench
Use: block set next to the workbench giving it an expanded work space and new capabilities. Works like double chests it would have unique interface with large work area 4x4 and active tool area that would display what type of advance work-area is active and a shelf to store other tools/items. The icon of item in the tool slot would show on-top or the side shelf and would not despawn or be collected when Steve walks by.

Recipe:

Code: Select all

[ i ][ i ][ p]
[ i ][ i ][ p]
[ i ][ i ][ p]
[ i ] represents iron block as you need a strong work surface for advanced builds and the [p] are wood panels(or stonepanel) that represents the shelving that would store the tools. panels requires saw level tech and the iron block means dedicating almost an entire stack of iron making this something you wouldn't build on a whim.

Interface:

Code: Select all

[  ][  ][  ][  ]   {   }
[  ][  ][  ][  ]   (    )
the 4x4[ ] represents the work area the 1 { } is the active tool and the 3 ( ) show storage area for other tools / materials

Purpose: The advanced work bench gives us a large work area to build more complex recipes and custom tools(like saw/grinder/caldron) without taking up blockids for each item.

Advanced tools / features:
black smiths hammer : Metal work
Furnace : allow smelting additional metals
hand crank:
hibachi:
piston: crush / flatten
Saw: Creates panel & moulding without leaving build area

EDIT1:ADVANCED TOOLS WOULD REQUIRE MECHANICAL POWER IF BLOCK REQUIRES POWER.

Original posts about the Advanced workbench Thalmane , Darahalian, Agent paper, the fodder, VonGod
Spoiler
Show
Thalmane wrote:
What if a system for certain recipes was implemented that in order for a recipe to be made a specific item would have to be carried in the players inventory? I guess a good example would a black smiths hammer. Instead of creating an anvil to make shaped metal why not just use the workbench plus the smiths hammer to create the shaped metal? If this is possible I believe this would be a wonderful alternative to having to make yet another block to create random things, thus saving on the ever so valuable block id

darahalian wrote:
be a more advanced workbench. My logic for this is the fact that the workbench already has tools like a saw and hammer hanging on its sides, which are presumably what Steve is using to craft the things he does.This way, certain recipes would only be able to be crafted on the more advanced workbench, since it would have more/advanced tools. And it doesn't necessarily have to be an actual workbench either, just something with a similar principle, but more advanced.

AgentPaper wrote:
Maybe, instead of new recipes just requiring the new workbench for no really explained reason, instead this "advanced workbench" would simply be larger? As in, it would have more slots to craft in, 4x3 or even 4x4. Then, all the advanced recipes just require that much space to craft in. This would basically serve to continue the progression from your basic 2x2 crafting to 3x3 crafting with a workbench to 4x3 or 4x4 crafting with an adv. workbench.

Looking at the progression of work areas so far we have the workbench, then the furnace (requires workbench), then the millstone and cauldron (both require furnace), and then finally the saw (requires millstone & cauldron). Following that logic, then the adv workbench should require something crafted with the saw. Honestly I'd say that you should be able to cut stone with the saw (just make it slow and require water for cooling or something), so it would make sense to me that the adv workbench be crafted out of stone moulding.

Fodder:
Combine the two ideas have the advanced toolbench get an area to add tools, depending on which tools are in the workbench it acts differently (use the idea behind shelf mod to show which items are on the advanced work bench). This way users can create multiple workstations or just reuse the same workbench and BTW is going through block IDs like they are going out of style.

VonGod:
Using the chest factor. Put a workbench next to another workbench to create a larger work area.
I'm unsure if the double chest has a separate block ID, or not, so that might work.

Even if it does have a separate ID, the two workbenches don't necessarily have to be fused together, the interface might just change once a workbench is next to the first. Thus implementing a new interface.

KriiEiter
I like The_Fodder's post about the advanced workbench, but I think if you have a piston or a saw as a tool inside the bench, that it then needs to be hooked up to mechanical power for those tools to work, other than that, great.
Last edited by the_fodder on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
xenoneo

Mechanical Power idea - Wheel of pain/Arrastra

Post by xenoneo »

There's currently two mechanical power sources in BTW, water and wind.
This idea is to add another mechanical power source from animals.

It would require 2 to 4 wolves to turn the wheel of pain.
(I thought that'd be a nice way to torture wolves more but cows would work just as well)
The new block type would be a horizontal version of the water wheel.
To attach the animal to the wheel you would add either pork (for wolves) or wheat (for cows) in the wheel.
A millstone could be placed directly under the wheel of a simple configuration or axils could divert the power underground or above ground.

I tried to think along the same line in game design philosophy for this mod as FC, and here's what I came up with.
(The idea was inspired by the recent talk about *turntables* and how they are powered)

Something similar to this using animals was made in the 1500s called an Arrastra.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrastra
I remember seeing something closer to the wheel of pain using animals but I can't find the name of it yet.
This might actually be it, but I haven't found a picture of it with animals attached.
cheechako

Post by cheechako »

the_fodder wrote:Original posts about the Advanced workbench Thalmane , Darahalian, Agent paper, the fodder, Vondod
You left me out - someone who is NOT a fan of an advanced workbench. I proposed a machine (like a mechanical press or something) that is used to create things that are too complex for the basic workbench.
xenoneo wrote: Wheel of pain
I replied in your original thread at the same time you were copying the post here.
"That's the nice thing about mods. There's something for everyone. Some of us like to build functional elevators, while others want to run around with a bunny on their head."
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Cheechako: I went through the comments and couldn't find your post. Do you want to PM me it so I can add it to the whiner list of people who do not see the vision that is the adv. workbench? ;)
cheechako

Post by cheechako »

the_fodder wrote:Cheechako: I went through the comments and couldn't find your post. Do you want to PM me it so I can add it to the whiner list of people who do not see the vision that is the adv. workbench? ;)
Sorry... I forgot I posted it in the Golden Suggestions thread and not here.
cheechako wrote: I still vote for an advanced crafting MACHINE. As things get more complex, Steve's hand tools (those that are assumed to come with the workbench) are not enough.

So something that you put items into, in recipe form, but needs mechanical power to function - a cross between the Saw and the Workbench.

Just think of a real-life machine shop for examples.

EDIT: It might have a crafting grid, where the "template" is laid out, and then an inventory to pull the materials from. If materials are just in the grid (or it runs out of inventory), it will use those. So you can make one output item when you turn it on. Also, this machine requires mechanical power and time (like smelting) - not a lot, but more than Steve just whacking in a nail or two on the workbench.
I'm not opposed to advanced crafting - I just prefer a machine rather than a bigger bench. I know this uses a valuable ID, but it could add functionality. Perhaps it could even automate the production of some things that can be made on a bench like rope or whatever.
"That's the nice thing about mods. There's something for everyone. Some of us like to build functional elevators, while others want to run around with a bunny on their head."
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

cheechako wrote: I still vote for an advanced crafting MACHINE.
Spoiler
Show
As things get more complex, Steve's hand tools (those that are assumed to come with the workbench) are not enough.

So something that you put items into, in recipe form, but needs mechanical power to function - a cross between the Saw and the Workbench.

Just think of a real-life machine shop for examples.

EDIT: It might have a crafting grid, where the "template" is laid out, and then an inventory to pull the materials from. If materials are just in the grid (or it runs out of inventory), it will use those. So you can make one output item when you turn it on. Also, this machine requires mechanical power and time (like smelting) - not a lot, but more than Steve just whacking in a nail or two on the workbench.
I'm not opposed to advanced crafting - I just prefer a machine rather than a bigger bench. I know this uses a valuable ID, but it could add functionality. Perhaps it could even automate the production of some things that can be made on a bench like rope or whatever.
So you are talking about a machine that builds for you? You have a hopper on-top with different items for a recipe and then you flip a switch those parts get fed into "the machine" and out pops your advanced object?

Did I get close or am I missing something?

Sound a lot like build craft or industrial craft you might want to try and pitch your idea there.

:D Sorry couldn't help myself. Yeah I could but didn't want to, won't happen again. probably will.
cheechako

Post by cheechako »

the_fodder wrote: So you are talking about a machine that builds for you? You have a hopper on-top with different items for a recipe and then you flip a switch those parts get fed into "the machine" and out pops your advanced object?
I thought an internal inventory, but a hopper would be another idea.
Sound a lot like build craft or industrial craft you might want to try and pitch your idea there.
I think one (or both) of those have an automated bench which is what I'm talking about. But just because they have one doesn't mean it is a bad idea. I think some of the "issues" with those mods is about how quickly things advance, how out of place some of it seems, and how cheap things can be. AFAIK, the BC mining machines are built once and then need nothing more than a redstone torch to power them and create mining pipe.

I'm talking about something that still fits within the BTW theme (IMHO) and extends/requires the mechanical infrastructure that has been created.

Saying that something is too complex for a workbench and thus needs nothing more than a bigger table seems like a cheap solution.
Vongard

Post by Vongard »

A simple suggestion

Placing Gravel into a Mill stone creates flint? It makes sence and would make flint not sucha pain to get,a nd its not too cheap because then you haev to worrya bout getting feathers...
cheechako

Post by cheechako »

Vongard wrote:A simple suggestion

Placing Gravel into a Mill stone creates flint? It makes sence and would make flint not sucha pain to get,a nd its not too cheap because then you haev to worrya bout getting feathers...
Why? You could just toss gravel onto a hopper with a wicker filter and have it separated into sand and flint.
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

cheechako wrote:
Vongard wrote:A simple suggestion

Why? You could just toss gravel onto a hopper with a wicker filter and have it separated into sand and flint.
was wondering how that was done, thanks
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Rugaard wrote:
was wondering how that was done, thanks

Its Always Good to see suggestions that bring out hidden parts of the mod that new users did not know about!!

PS: THIS IS THE 222 POST WOOT!! =D

PPS: 222 is mah favorite number
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Brothulhu

Post by Brothulhu »

I thought of a use for fabric while rebuilding my house on easy mode today.

Parachute.

I hate holding shift for so long when building off of cliff faces, and sometimes I wish I could just jump off mountains instead of having to skill my way down.
Basically the recipe would go something like this:

[rope][Fabric][rope]
[fabric][fabric][fabric]
[rope][fabric][rope]

Simple (as always.) Basically it would go where your chest armor goes, and would degrade every time you land from a distance that would take damage.
I'd have to say it would need to degrade about as fast as oh... fishing poles or something, just to keep it balanced. What do you guys think?
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

the_fodder wrote: The problem I see is its too specialized, and not a multi-tasker. look at all the blocks in minecraft they can all be used more then one way.

caldron=bulk food prep / tan leather/ ..
hibachi = heat source (caldron / mob killer / future uses)
detector /block dispenser = could fill a book .

That block would be a one trick pony.
I do see youre point . It is hard to come up with good idears that arn't in other mods ,fit the "Wood AGE" or the Posible "stone age" ( i kinda think that these ages co-existed personaly but that is me ) or have mutiple uses.

I have yet to come up with one thing that has even been concidered . :(
I gess i will keep thinking about new stuff . thanks for the feed back on the old thread you were just ignored here people just nicly say No.
VonGod

Post by VonGod »

the_fodder wrote: Original posts about the Advanced workbench Thalmane , Darahalian, Agent paper, the fodder, Vondod
I like how I'm noted as Von Dod. Lawl

I'm thumbs up with the idea you have.

About the crafting machine, I think that would be for use later on.
I think it makes sense to have a larger work bench for things.

Small work benches for small things, larger work benches for further adv.
And then when Steve get's techno-clever, a crafting machine.