Way to prevent climbing waterfalls

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
Soupy Delicious

Way to prevent climbing waterfalls

Post by Soupy Delicious »

I feel like it's one of the remnants from old MC which doesn't fit with BTW's mantra of weight and consequence. I understand it drains hunger pretty quick, but otherwise that's quite a nothingburger.

Perhaps to maintain the ability to 'swim', while preventing the ability to climb single/two/three blocks of water, the player could be powerfully pushed out of the water blocks unless it's a source block (or something like that).

It'll nerf early game ravines too, which is a bonus^^
dawnraider

Re: Way to prevent climbing waterfalls

Post by dawnraider »

Personally I find the large hunger cost to be enough. It encourages the player to be conscious about when they do it, without being too overbearing. Anything more drastic would cause issues with swimming out of things like clay holes anyways, since those also fill with downward flowing water.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Soupy Delicious

Post by Soupy Delicious »

dawnraider wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:55 pm Personally I find the large hunger cost to be enough. It encourages the player to be conscious about when they do it, without being too overbearing. Anything more drastic would cause issues with swimming out of things like clay holes anyways, since those also fill with downward flowing water.
Hm... Even early game food is reasonably plentiful. Falling into a ravine in the early game being something with big consequences, similar to real life (a la: figuring out how to get out, having to build a base camp to survive the couple days it might take in the early game to get out, being literally thrown into an interesting survival situation) VS 2 chickens worth of food to get out almost entirely risk free.

I just see it as an opportunity to add an interesting bit of granularity to survival. The fun in games like this comes from being thrown into a sketchy situation and COMING OUT on top. That's where some of the biggest dopamine hits come from; they don't come from scoring easy Ws and min/maxing gains.
Whaddaya think? I know it can happen that when you've played a game at a high level for so long, early-game considerations seem less relevant (I'm not saying that's what's going on here necessarily). But most people spend most of the time in the early game, and climbing water really does feel like a 'tacky' remnant of vMC, imho

1x1 clay holes wouldn't be an issue if what I'm suggesting is possible: water flow would only push you out of the stream; you could still 'climb' it if there was barriers surrounding you. But if not, being afraid of drowning is just another somewhat interesting way of making the world a bit more dangerous, and, in a stretch, it just happens to be *vaguely* realistic.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I think being able to descend into a ravine and have a way to go back up again is exciting, since it lets you drop right into a FUN cave without a massive investment of a ramp. Sometimes there isn't any water anyway, so you still get to build a GOT style log rampart of death.

I would only make a change like this if we added ropes and anchor earlier somehow. I would definitely take the full iron ingot cost out to make anchors something a player will find worth building at all. I have personally brainstormed letting you tie rope up around a stump, Jurassic Park 2 Style. The rope would trail along the ground until it hit an edge. Rendering the hanging rope from the edge of a block rather than right in the middle might require a rework..

In the end, though, rope is the big bottleneck. Having to grow a field of hemp to have access it is prohibitive to a cave man. In Robinson Crusoe, the stranded Crusoe finds rope from a shipwreck. We could have shipwrecks on beaches :)

We could also just have coils of rope generate in villages. Either way, that makes hemp fibers wildly abundant. Worth changing the balance of the earlygame so drastically to keep ravines exciting? Maybe, maybe not. I actually liked when spider spawners could be string farms, I think there is a lot of fun to be had from having a butt load of string around as a cave man.

In short, I think we gain a lot by being able to dip into ravines via waterfall. Putting too much emphasis on limiting BTW's pacing could create a slow ass game.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show