Are slimes supposed to move this fast?

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
Blacklands

Are slimes supposed to move this fast?

Post by Blacklands »

I encountered a slime twice in the early game, both times this led to my death.

It turned out I can't outrun them because they seem to move incredibly fast, much faster than me. No matter their size, too. So my only choice whenever one aggroed me seemed to fight them (couldn't really use the terrain against them successfully either). But with even the small slimes constantly hitting you, I always ended up just getting overwhelmed and quickly killed. That was with just wool armor and stone axes.

Could it be that the slimes are basically ignoring any terrain slowdowns, due to them moving exclusively by jumping? So they're basically always moving as fast as if they were on gravel/stone, while you are being slowed down by moving on dirt/sand/whatever, plus potential tall grass.
I haven't tested it in Creative yet, I just wanted to ask anyone else has also observed this.

In any case: Is this intentional, or an unintended consequence of mechanics interplay?

With spiders also being quite fast, usually faster than you unless you keep sprinting, it feels okay, since you can fight them decently (the regular spiders, that is). But slimes feel so strong, it feels like ever aggroing one in the early game basically means that you're dead, unless you get lucky with the terrain saving you.
I played with the Better Biomes add-on, so I encountered slimes more often than I usually would in Vanilla. Maybe you're just supposed to keep far away from them.

On that matter, did I just imagine that or is there no invincibility period for you between hits from slimes? If e.g. a zombie hits you, you get knocked back a bit and there's a brief period where you can't get damaged, right? Same as when you hit mobs. For slimes it felt to me like they can just hit you many times at once, which is one reason why they're so strong. Four small slimes can knock you down from full health to "too weak to fight back" within a handful of seconds.
dawnraider

Re: Are slimes supposed to move this fast?

Post by dawnraider »

Yep, slimes are meant to be very fast. In vanilla they are an absolute joke, so FC sped them up and made the baby ones deal damage to make them an actual threat. Even a single large slime is a serious threat.

You get 1/2 a second of invincibility when being attacked. If it's taking a handful of seconds to get you low, then that sounds to me like working as intended (if it wasn't applying you'd be dead almost instantly in that situation).
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Blacklands

Post by Blacklands »

Okay, thanks for clearing this up!
I definitely learned my lesson about slimes, lol.

About the invincibility, it might just have been server lag, then. I don't know why it felt like I got hit several times right after one another. Probably also because the small slimes don't knock you back, I believe, so you can end up staying in range for another hit as soon as the 0.5 seconds are over.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Slimes are deathballs. In my experience, they seem to deal damage much faster than any other mob, possibly because they get right up in your body as basically a tiny living hitbox?
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yeah it's likely because of how little knockback they deal so you don't get bumped away and they can hit you right away again.
Get the Deco Addon here!
Pot_Tx

Post by Pot_Tx »

Actually, it's a vanilla feature that slimes' attacks are not limited on frequency, they attempt to attack every tick if the target is in their attack radius. Players probably wouldn't be able to handle several slimes at a time even in vanilla Minecraft, this is why Mojang makes them rarely spawn and only in certain chunks.
Blacklands

Post by Blacklands »

Can we have some sort of Holy Hand Grenade for slimes added to BTW?
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Pot_Tx wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:13 am Actually, it's a vanilla feature that slimes' attacks are not limited on frequency, they attempt to attack every tick if the target is in their attack radius. Players probably wouldn't be able to handle several slimes at a time even in vanilla Minecraft, this is why Mojang makes them rarely spawn and only in certain chunks.
If their attacks are not limited in frequency then that's definitely something I can look into.
Get the Deco Addon here!
Soupy Delicious

Post by Soupy Delicious »

Imho, don't touch 'em. They're scary and unique, and those are good things for this game.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Unique and threatening are good. Bullshit that's also inconsistent with how the rest of the game works is not.
Get the Deco Addon here!