Flower's Dev Diary (Week of November 12th)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Ancilangeli

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (Week of November 12th)

Post by Ancilangeli »

FlowerChild wrote:-snip-
I was originally hoping to get this out tonight, but I'm pretty burnt out now so I'll leave those items until tomorrow.
you mean the floating ones? that one really bothered me when i saw it too, and i am so happy you are removing it. but i am once again at a point where i didnt realize a new vmc was fully released yet because you havnt ported yet...
im also rather impressed with how quickly you do these things (once again) because all of this coding stuff is too much for me to finger out. one question on the new vmc release though... does it feel nice for mojang to finally realize they should make some of the functionality change in some of the ways you did a long time ago?
how to take a no like a sir
Spoiler
Show
a forum user after being told they couldnt do something wrote:Alright, that's all I wanted to know, thank you very much.

I think that this closes the issue. Thread can be locked.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

FlowerChild wrote:
I was originally hoping to get this out tonight, but I'm pretty burnt out now so I'll leave those items until tomorrow.

im sure im not alone when i say, take all the time you need :)
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

Water now stops all fall damage
This will break all mob traps that drop the mobs onto fences to be killed and transported elsewhere. This will completely break Battosay's Ubertrap, for example.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
tedium

Post by tedium »

i actually really dig the way plants grow slower when they have neighboring plants. because quite simply, there's only so much nutrient in the soil. the only reason we plant so intensively in the real world is because we have fertilizers to assist, and machines find it easier to manage a straight line when it comes to planting/watering/harvesting. a little while ago i was interested in making a permaculture mod for the food system of minecraft, including real world factors, like how onions and beans don't grow well next to each other, while squash and carrots do. hemp would also act as a form of pest control, and dirt would have values for certain basic types of nutrients. it would be both fun and educational... the problem is, the project quickly explodes in scope, and i'm about as far as you can be from a programmer while still having done some programming in my time. the last thing i programmed outside of schoolwork was in visual basic... before that was qbasic rofl. these days i'm lame and i only really play around with things like Unity or other pre-fabricated game engines
FlowerChild makes heroes of us all, and gives us battle axes where we had swords weak as zombie paws.
SufficientAnonymity

Post by SufficientAnonymity »

@tedium

Arguably it makes sense to not have the slowdown effect when growing in planters though (as is already the case afaik) as they're discrete units.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Im just glad your ports take time and are really stable :D
It seems like with alot of other mods the first version works good with whatever version of minecraft it was made on and it slowly degrades from there.
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

tedium wrote:i actually really dig the way plants grow slower when they have neighboring plants.
It's not that simple man. The above would be easy enough for a player to figure out, but the rules themselves are way more convoluted than it just being neighboring plants. As I said above, without digging into the code, there's really no way to tell how it actually works.
barcode

Post by barcode »

The one thing that I find disappointing with the (really cool looking) beacon is the visibility. I'd have expected to be able to see it way further and have it act as a guide back home (or to a special location in an adventure map) instead of giving me a ridiculous jump bonus so that I can jump fences now... I just double checked though, it unloads at the same time as everything else around it... but this is probably a technical constraint.

Looking forward to the next update!
XantyZon wrote:- Remember just like you can't have manslaughter without laughter, you can not have forgery without forge.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Lovely. It appears that the changes made to item collisions in 1.4.4 also fucked the ability of pistons to push them.

Something else for me to fix :\

Yeah...gotta love those bug fixes that break tons of other stuff...
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

That's lame... This 'fix' was supposed to be for items getting stuck in blocks right? I know that items getting stuck in blocks was killing my auto kiln design that worked fine in SSP. Is the items getting stuck in blocks an SMP thing only?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:That's lame... This 'fix' was supposed to be for items getting stuck in blocks right? I know that items getting stuck in blocks was killing my auto kiln design that worked fine in SSP. Is the items getting stuck in blocks an SMP thing only?
Oh, they don't get "stuck" in pistons. What they seem to do now is pick a random direction with an empty space to move towards, instead of getting pushed in the direction the piston is pushing. I noticed this when I saw a whole bunch of arrows laying next to my bone/arrow separation device which pushes the arrows into a water stream with a piston once they're separated.

*clap* *clap* *clap*
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

On a brighter note:

While refactoring some of the custom fire code as part of the update (I'm taking this opportunity to reorganize a few things internally to reduce base class modifications), I had a little idea that only took me a few minutes to implement, and which I think people will appreciate for its aesthetic uses:
Spoiler
Show
Bet you didn't even realize you wanted that ;)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

But I mean the original bug that they were trying to fix was the one I was talking about that was breaking my auto kiln? It was a tube kiln that used sand to push the items through and instead of getting pushed through the items would end up stuck up in the top brick blocks of the kiln and would never get pushed out unless I manually broke the kiln. I'm asking because I'm wondering if that's the bug and if my kiln will start working again. I already am working on building a new waterflow based auto kiln but it would be nice to know if my first kiln will start working properly. :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:On a brighter note:
Holy crap that's awesome! And I have been wanting something like that! Especially since we lost the ability to place lava source blocks with HCB!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:But I mean the original bug that they were trying to fix was the one I was talking about that was breaking my auto kiln? It was a tube kiln that used sand to push the items through and instead of getting pushed through the items would end up stuck up in the top brick blocks of the kiln and would never get pushed out unless I manually broke the kiln. I'm asking because I'm wondering if that's the bug and if my kiln will start working again. I already am working on building a new waterflow based auto kiln but it would be nice to know if my first kiln will start working properly. :)
Maybe man. This change seems to cause enough problems that I may just revert it for now, then look at it more in depth later. It basically breaks the mod, which is a much higher priority for me to address then worrying about the small problems it may have solved :)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:On a brighter note:

While refactoring some of the custom fire code as part of the update (I'm taking this opportunity to reorganize a few things internally to reduce base class modifications), I had a little idea that only took me a few minutes to implement, and which I think people will appreciate for its aesthetic uses:
Spoiler
Show
We can...burn things?

Though on the offchance that that's netherrack, then it's awesome. and if it is, can the underside also burn?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:Though on the offchance that that's netherrack, then it's awesome. and if it is, can the underside also burn?
Concentrated Hellfire blocks actually, and yes ;)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Maybe man. This change seems to cause enough problems that I may just revert it for now, then look at it more in depth later. It basically breaks the mod, which is a much higher priority for me to address then worrying about the small problems it may have solved :)
Ok. I'm cool with that. Being forced to come up with a new design versus one I've been using since my first auto-kiln isn't necessarily a bad thing either. Plus my new design won't require me to manually reload it with sand. :)
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

I'm guessing they're blocks of concentrated hellfire? If they do what I think they'll do (burn forever?) then that's so cool! The thought had crossed my mind in passing once before but I ddin't suggest it because infinitly burning rope coils doesn't make sense.

EDIT: Ninjas, all of you!
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:Concentrated Hellfire blocks actually, and yes ;)
oooh. I've always wanted a burning ceiling.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Concentrated Hellfire blocks actually, and yes ;)
Oh wait. Initially i thought it meant that this was a tower of freestanding fire blocks. On closer inspection I'm guessing that the change is concentrated hellfire can have any side set on fire and will burn that way continually like netherrack. That is indeed very awesome!
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

FlowerChild wrote:Bet you didn't even realize you wanted that ;)
No, I didn't know, but now that I see it, I have a hard time believing that I never knew I wanted it. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote: No, I didn't know, but now that I see it, I have a hard time believing that I never knew I wanted it. :)
Hehe...that was pretty much my own reaction. I was going through the code and had a "wait a minute...I could easily do 'foo'" moment and was then amazed the whole concept of 'foo' hadn't even occurred to me before ;)
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

FlowerChild wrote:Bet you didn't even realize you wanted that ;)
That looks amazing!
On a related note, I have to tear down certain parts of my base now in preparation
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I need to ramp up concentrated hellfire production! I can finally make the giant braziers I dreamed about! :D