Flower's Dev Diary (Week of April 29th)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
savagelung

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (Week of April 29th)

Post by savagelung »

Detritus wrote:I assume you're specifically referring to that which effects Netherrack, or is this something else entirely, which I don't know of?
I believe he is, but Netherrack was not the only one subject to insta-mining. IF you had a high enough efficiency rating, you could insta-mine several stone variants, dirt, and so forth. It was the worst with dirt: with an efficiency 5 shovel, you could collect a stack of dirt in seconds.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

It affects a great deal actually. Previous to this bug being introduced there was a minimum time to harvest *all* blocks. This includes stuff like vegetation as well, so you can no longer cut through reeds like they're butter.

It has a noticeable impact on the game at all stages.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

So no more smashing tall grass flat by waving our hands as we walk across a field? This is going to change everything.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:So no more smashing tall grass flat by waving our hands as we walk across a field? This is going to change everything.
Well, you still can, you just can't do it at faster than light speeds. It's still very fast, just not ridiculously so (it equates to about 4 blocks a second instead of *20*).

It really just plays the way MC did pre-1.3 which is when I believe the bug was introduced, and Steve began clearing some blocks faster than his arm moved.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Was the insta-mining bug introduced when Mojang attempted to fix the "click-mining" bug? I actually kind of liked click-mining. It was like Rocket Jumping, unintended gameplay from unexpected conversion of design. Required skill, albeit somewhat low level, unlike insta-mining.

I ask mostly because I wondered if your fix would lead to click-mining returning.

I'm looking forward to the next patch FC. Also, although I apparently wasn't clear in some other posts (Never try to explain another's POV in first person perspective on a forum), I do like the direction you're going with BTW.
0player

Post by 0player »

Hooray, no longer accidentally cutting roots of hemp plant behind while trying to collect the top of current one! Thank you!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mr_Hosed wrote:Was the insta-mining bug introduced when Mojang attempted to fix the "click-mining" bug? I actually kind of liked click-mining. It was like Rocket Jumping, unintended gameplay from unexpected conversion of design. Required skill, albeit somewhat low level, unlike insta-mining.
I don't think that's anything like rocket jumping man, which had a self-balancing mechanism in that if you fucked it up, you died. It also fit in well within the context of the rules of the world the game took place in rather than just being an UI bug.

What you're describing just sounds like a plain old exploit whatever airs you put on it.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Quote from balance thread:
FlowerChild wrote:I'll likely put out a test release later today with this stuff in it, at which point you guys can see for yourself. I want to get some serious testing on this one before doing an "official" release to make sure it doesn't mess with people's worlds (like I wanted to establish with the village changes)
Could you re-enable co-ordinates for this build by any chance? When looking through terrain gen in the village world, I spent a lot of time bouncing between minecraft and MCedit to check that I really was in the same position.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

IIRC, /loc will give you your co-ordinates.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup. I put in the /loc command for server operators and such when I removed the F3 co-ordinates. Use that.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

The idea of stratified stone sounds very interesting. I can't wait to see the test/final version arrive. I guess I should save questions for then, but I wonder if there will be multiple stratifications of stone , or just a division between iron-minable and stone/wood-minable.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

I had read /loc in the release thread of whatever version hardcore info was introduced, but for some reason it didn't click that it could be used in single player. Thanks for the heads up.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

jakerman999 wrote:I had read /loc in the release thread of whatever version hardcore info was introduced, but for some reason it didn't click that it could be used in single player. Thanks for the heads up.
Just make sure that you have "cheats" on, even if you have to manually enable it by starting an LAN world.

Back on topic, and addressing the reason for the stone stratification, I have noticed my own play style changing rapidly as a result of the recent nerfing of stone and wood tools. When I played vanilla, I was one of those who avoided using iron at all costs and branch mined using stone picks. Now, once I have iron, I don't even think about making a stone pickaxe every again (unless I die). Evidently some have still held on to their old habits, though...
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Will the changes on effect natural stone and/or should we check how/if player made stone structures are effected?
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I'm not running a Q&A on how this is going to work guys. Wait and see.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hoo boy...I just made a tiny winy little changey wangey (seriously...one line of code) that makes the early game MUCH more interesting. I knew it would be good, but wow...mobs just scared the shit out of me as a result of this when I had made the change primarily for an entirely different reason.

<dances>

Thanks go to Icy once again for his early game let's plays that he's been doing practically with each release. Once again, you can thank him for inspiring an idea that will cause you pain and suffering in an oh so pleasing manner. Watching someone play like that has really been invaluable for me in spotting these little things that might not have occurred to me otherwise.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

Sorry everyone......<3
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

icynewyear wrote:Sorry everyone......<3
Trust me man...you'll love it. It's going to hurt so good :)

And please remember I said that when the name of the feature is revealed...
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Are you trying to make icy's life miserable?

Also: sounds impressive, but I have no clue what that change could possibly be. Exciting!

Edit: Hardcore Pain? This doesn't have anything to do with water does it?
Last edited by TheGatesofLogic on Wed May 15, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheGatesofLogic wrote: Also: sounds impressive, but I have no clue what that change could possibly be. Exciting!
Hehe...I'm already providing hints, but I could even show you guys the line of code and I doubt anyone would figure it out.

Actually, that might make for an interesting conversation, so why not? For the first time ever (I think), here's an upcoming feature hint in code form...
Spoiler
Show

Code: Select all

if ( par2 > 1 || var4.isSprinting() )
Such a tiny little bit of code, but oh so good ;)

Obviously, that's added into an already existing vanilla function, otherwise I wouldn't be using crappy variable names like 'par2' or 'var4'.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

I was expecting if (player.name == "Icynewyear") { set.player('dead') }

Hmm...I guess it's not Hardcore Icy Screwing....
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

FlowerChild wrote:Such a tiny little bit of code, but oh so good ;)
well since you said it might inspire interesting conversation, I thought I'd start...

So my first thought was var4 was the player, but I don't think mcp would leave the player as a generic variable like that. But then I was unsure, does anything else sprint? I know animals do, like those cows running away from my axe.

par2 could be related to health or food, especially since FC has been tying up that with movement a lot more lately, having a check to see if you have SOME food or if you're running could be interesting.

Another alternative is that par2 could refer to light level, and what this does is make it so that mobs spawn under certain lighting conditions OR if you're running, making running through the woods even more dangerous. Probably not though, not with > 1.
TheGatesofLogic

Yup, I'm pretty much positive that I know what it is for, but I'm kind enough not to spoil it to anyone. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong anyway

I'm relatively confident that I've stumbled over where this line of code will be before. I can only think of one place at the moment in which this line would be a suitable method of icypain (I'm copyrighting that, so no one else use the term icypain!)
Last edited by TheGatesofLogic on Wed May 15, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Six

Post by Six »

My guess would be that it is the check to see if a mob has sight on the player. So this could mean they agro on the player when they see them, or when the player is sprinting. Running from mobs in a cave would suddenly be a lot more dangerous.
TheGatesofLogic

Also, the variable for the player in a large portion of MCP is p. I don't think that It is the player that it's referring to here