Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
TheGreatIntelligence

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by TheGreatIntelligence »

*crawls in to corner, grabs head, and softly rocks back and forth.*
No, no, no, no, noooooo.....
Saaaaaandviiich.. Saaaaandviiich....
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheGreatIntelligence wrote:*crawls in to corner, grabs head, and softly rocks back and forth.*
No, no, no, no, noooooo.....
It may be a good sign. Could be a disaster, and it's probably too little too late, but it could also be a step forward.

I remember quite a long while back (maybe as much as a couple of years) Jeb responded to a question at a conference (can't remember which) about how much he plays Minecraft with something along the lines of "as little as possible".

While I was already having my doubts, I think that was when I really started to fear for the future of vanilla. You'd think it would be obvious, but you'd be surprised how many designers don't seem to realize that playing your own game is a necessity for effective game design. I've worked professionally with several people like that, which drove me ape shit insane, and even ones beyond that who also refused to play the competition at the same time. It's seriously bad mojo, and I tend to make the analogy that it's like a chef who is unwilling to taste his own food (or anyone else's in the case of those who won't play the competition).

I realize Jeb isn't a designer by trade, but after Notch left (and that comment was made after that), he was basically put in that role regardless, and when he said that it was clearly telling me that there wasn't anyone at the helm of the ship anymore (or even worse there was a blind man at the helm randomly steering to and fro based on the panicked shoutings of those around him). So yeah, while I don't know if this will be good or bad in practice (that largely comes down to how much design talent Jeb possesses), if it were somehow to turn good again, this would be a necessary first step.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Im kinda excited to see what will happen
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

erikdk321 wrote:Im kinda excited to see what will happen
I've been trained to respond to pretty much any significant vanilla announcement with a vague sense of dread :)

*Could* be good. Jeb still has no design qualifications, so while actually playing the game might be a good first step, it isn't an ideal situation by a long shot, and it's a stab in the dark as to whether anything good will come from it. Look at the number of rather poor mods (probably the majority of them qualify), that arguably make the game worse, that come out of people that obviously know and love the game.

Also, as far as I know, Dinnerbone and Grum actively play the game, and I haven't seen any good design come out of them either (or very little).

So, like I said, could be good, could be a disaster, as it may inspire someone who potentially isn't a designer to start making more design decisions under the false impression that they now know what they're doing. As the old saying goes, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

RandomObj3ct wrote:-snip-
Wow. The responses to that survey scared me a little (Although I suppose it's what would be expected from the community at present. I'm just so used to the awesome community here).
erikdk321 wrote:Im kinda excited to see what will happen
As FC said, while this may be a turn in the right direction, it may just dig the infinitely deep hole vMC has gotten into even deeper.
FlowerChild wrote:(that largely comes down to how much design talent Jeb possesses)
Which is unfortunately not much, if the game for the last 2 years is anything to go by.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Rainbow sheep yay!
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

So this was his gameplay ideas? xD
Dale

Post by Dale »

How is BTW going to compete with Rainbow Sheep?! This is quality End-Game content! Albeit all of vanilla is end game content.
DaveYanakov "Animals spawn in tall grass because pokemans"...
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

You can find rainbows which you need a refined hoe to mine, then you mix it with creeperball essence and you get colourballs that can be rightclicked on sheep to make them colourful.
devak

Post by devak »

FlowerChild wrote: (or even worse there was a blind man at the helm randomly steering to and fro based on the panicked shoutings of those around him).
I'm sorry but i laughed so hard at this! too true
Calo290

Post by Calo290 »

Nah, I bet that rainbow sheep was added the same time the upside down dinnerbone trick was and nobody had discovered it yet.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Nah, if that had been in there before, people would have known about it. I mean, if there is an easter egg when naming your sheep Dinnerbone, the first thing people would do is try giving the names of other mojang staff.
Nabetsu122

Post by Nabetsu122 »

Calo290 wrote:Nah, I bet that rainbow sheep was added the same time the upside down dinnerbone trick was and nobody had discovered it yet.
I wish it was, but it isn't. I just tested it in 1.6.4
Spoiler
Show
no avail.
To be fair, it is a cute and nonsensical addition that doesn't affect gameplay (unless you mark your wooded trails with them like breadcrumbs).
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I dont have a problem with this joke even if its stupid as fuck, but the chicken one...
Dale

Post by Dale »

Played a few hours of Vanilla 1.7.4, found no new game play. Damn near killed the dragon in this amount of time but was lazy. I did like the look, but where is this game play? I don't get it. OH I can broadcast my search for this game play, that must be the game play mentioned. Anyone here want to watch me LOLZ it up with name tags? -_-p

-Seriously though wtf?
DaveYanakov "Animals spawn in tall grass because pokemans"...
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I have played 1.7 on a server as well, and damn was it boring, it's still the same gameplay we had back in 1.8 beta, just worse.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

You will apperently be able to craft 3 doors at a time in 1.8 and they're stackable, thought?
Source: http://t.co/Zd3dqxNvqB
Rob

Post by Rob »

erikdk321 wrote:You will apperently be able to craft 3 doors at a time in 1.8 and they're stackable, thought?
Source: http://t.co/Zd3dqxNvqB
Honestly, I'm surprised they weren't stackable in vanilla yet. Getting three from crafting is weird though, because wood is so hard to acquire. On a BTW note. FC no longer has a 50% efficient wood recipe for doors when this goes live. :P
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Rob wrote:On a BTW note. FC no longer has a 50% efficient wood recipe for doors when this goes live. :P
Wrong. BTW is based upon vMC 1.5.2. Everything beyond is not relevant.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I really feel like the cheaper recipe and that they are stackable was made because people were complaining, like every fucking feature nowadays.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Gormador wrote:Wrong. BTW is based upon vMC 1.5.2. Everything beyond is not relevant.
Touché.
erikdk321 wrote:I really feel like the cheaper recipe and that they are stackable was made because people were complaining, like every fucking feature nowadays.
I can understand the stacking part. People have been complaining about that since doors were a thing. I don't know if the 3 per craft was a complaint. That might be Mojang adding extra nonsense to make the idea their own.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I dont know about the door stacking thing, minecarts stacking would be fine, but doors seem off to me :/
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

Making doors stackable doesn't bother me. I can't think of a good gameplay reason to limit the stack size to just 1. That's not to say there isn't one, just that I don't know what it is.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I guess you are all right, i just need to get used to it i guess :/
Toastman500

Post by Toastman500 »

VegasGoat wrote:Making doors stackable doesn't bother me. I can't think of a good gameplay reason to limit the stack size to just 1. That's not to say there isn't one, just that I don't know what it is.
If I recall, it was so people couldn't spam them by placing them everywhere, similar to snowballs and eggs. Or it was simply an oversight... wouldn't be the first.