Kerbal Space Program 0.22 anticipation thread

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Katalliaan

Re: Kerbal Space Program 0.22 anticipation thread

Post by Katalliaan »

TheAnarchitect wrote:On the subject of mods:

Messing with the tech tree is as easy as modifying a .cfg file? So if I add a mod with parts like, say, Remotetech, it would be pretty easy for me to insert those parts into appropriate parts of the tech tree myself, right?
For now, without TreeLoader/TreeEdit, you can only change which node a part is associated with; you need to use the plugin if you want to customize the nodes' names, text, and location.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAnarchitect wrote:On the subject of mods:

Messing with the tech tree is as easy as modifying a .cfg file? So if I add a mod with parts like, say, Remotetech, it would be pretty easy for me to insert those parts into appropriate parts of the tech tree myself, right?
Yup, it's very straightforward. Just go into the KSP/GameData/ModName/Parts/ directory for the mod, open the .cfg file for the part in question, and add a line like the following:

TechRequired = basicRocketry

If you want to get fancy and not actually modify the part files directly, you can use ModlueManager to do that, which is what I'm doing for BTSM:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/thr ... ding-needs

That way you won't have to worry about overwriting your changes every time you install a new version of RemoteTech.

If you want to find the name of a node, you can look up a stock part in that node here:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Parts

And if you click to go to the individual part description, you'll notice there's a link to the part.cfg file for that part at the bottom of the stats pane on the right hand side of the page. Those files are largely out of date, HOWEVER, they tell you what the filename is of the stock part, so if you then look up the .cfg file for it in KSP/GameData/Squad/Parts/ you can then get the tech node name from there.

I've become way too familiar with that process as I go through every part in the game one by one ;)
devak wrote:I'll see if i can get some moon samples because apparently, the moon has biomes too.
Yeah, it does, which is actually becoming a bit of a pain in the ass for me as there's no way to specify if an experiment is solely pertinent to biomes on Kerbin OR the Mun. It always has to be both, or neither, which means that balancing something like my orbital scan experiment that I mentioned above gets rather difficult given there's a shit-ton of additional science you can accumulate from it just over at the Mun.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Remote Tech 2 has been released for .22, still pending delay to be added back in.

I really hope this gets zeroed in well like RT1. There is a plan to be able to load a sophisticated series of commnds to be executed on a delay as well.

Tying this in with economy and life support concers on .21 felt so right XD