A Fresh Start

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Vray

A Fresh Start

Post by Vray »

I have had the same very established, comfortable, and familiar BTW world for a long time. With all of Flowerchild's new additions to the mod I think it is time to start over and enjoy playing through again. My question to the community is this .. What features/biomes/etc do you all look for in a new world spawn? What's essential in your opinions? What is very nice to have close by? I thought it worth doing a little research before I pick a new home. I play with the BTW settings on default, hard difficulty, and I use no other mods.

Thanks for making it all fun again FC :)
~ Reality Bites... Bite back! ~

Vray.
jakerman999

Re: A Fresh Start

Post by jakerman999 »

Seed: 321539913

That's everything I've ever wanted in a minecraft world.

Courtesy of DocHussey.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

I find having a plains biome, next to a forest, and a taiga close by, to be the best environment to live in. Also, a desert is a handy thing to know the location of; good source of sand for whatever, and it doesn't rain in them.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

If you're comfortable using map preview tools like AMIDST, it can be nice to make sure you get a nice spread of biomes between your 4 main base areas (spawn and strongholds). Otherwise...an extreme hills biome with a really high lava lake can make for a great starting area. Lavaducts are awesome.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I say do the opposite. Choose a seed with the most barren, hostile land you can possibly find, and play with large biomes.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

very funny you should post this, i was about to make a similar thread xD. i also started a new world after the latest release as just like you i had been with my world for a while and things have changed so much i wanted a fresh start, that and i have really gotten sick and tired of my seed, i started to quickly on it befor really getting to know it better and ended up not liking it after i had a rather largeish base xD so i stuck with it anyways. but three days ago i finally decided to start anew!

i scoured the internet looking for a good seed and would fly around in creative to get a feel for it (i dont really consider it cheating cuz after all your going to spend alot of time in a world better make sure its one your going to like. not really looking for anything specific but just the general layout of the biomes around spawn, as thats obviously the most important area.) when ever i would find a seed that looked promising. then is saw a video for a large biomes extreme hills seed. ("To travle the stars" yes spelled like that.) it was the craziest mountians i had ever seen nothign but overhangs and crazy mountains for thousands of blocks. i said wow, thats looks awesome but its a lil too big :/

then i remembered large biomoes are just exaggerated versions of the regular seeds. so i tried the same seed as a regular default world. i now have the best seed iv ever seen! you spawn in a taiga biome with a village no more then 100 blocks away in a huge mountain plains biome. then all around this mountain plains are extreme hills! plus a dessert right next to the other side of the plains. im not kidding, if you are one that like mountainous seeds and terrains make a default world with "To travle the stars" as your seed, you will not be disapointed. i cant tell you how many times i had looked for a good mountain seed only to find semi decent ones. (the one i stuck with in my old world had good mountains near spawn but i later learned everything out side those mountains were oceans and a coupel of swamps.....poop :( ) iv checked this one and theres not an ocean for at least a few thousand blocks in every direction.....yay no more endless oceans!

TL;DR if you like mountains as well as varied terrain and biomes of all sorts near by, use "To travle the stars" in a default world. the best mountain/varied terrain seed iv ever seen, perfect for starting a new world in BTW :)
Minecraftgeek70

Post by Minecraftgeek70 »

When I do a fresh start I type in a random seed depending on what I'm doing at that moment.. ie if I'm watching Farscape it might be "frakandfrell" or if I'm watching firefly it might be "browncoat" or "shiny" etc

but it doesn't matter about specific seeds. I "LIKE" to start near trees AND a desert. if I'm lucky and get a Taiga biome next to a desert biome I'm happy. That way I get wood, wolves AND a rain proof location for my windmill.

But honestly? You get more fun playing the card you're dealt. One of the best BTW experiences I had was a seed I used on large biomes.. and it was a tiny island with NOT ONE ONE solitary tree on it in the midst of a giant ocean !! XD

I played that world on hardcore.. didn't last long but BOY was it fun.

so basically.. use a seed.. or keep it random. And play the challenge the game sets you.

EDIT

although I can't remember the exact seed.. and the fact I'm at work and cannot check. I have an entry on my tablet here that rings a bell as the "seed" from the level.dat. (the text file in my tablet is seed.txt I assume this is the only seed I've considered worth keeping as I got it from a friend XD)

234773616535089838 (enable large biomes.. and I suggest the bonus chest otherwise you're not long for this world XD)

try it .. if it works it works and if it doesn't... well it's the wrong seed then XD
razar51

Post by razar51 »

I usually start all my worlds with an island spawn nowadays. I like the feel of having a limited land mass to work with. Also, it is handy to be surrounded by ocean with HCB, as I can build many contraptions early on in the water instead of having to build them deep underground or wait until I get to screw pumps in the tech tree.
Vray

Post by Vray »

Wow, what a great response, Thank you all! I will explore some of those ideas and threads tonight. I love hills biomes, swamps and plains have been favorite spots also.

@'geek' All I can say is ... Farscape AND Firefly... you sir are win! Must run off and try the seed pauzotahzaan on a whim. Thanks for the inspiration and the giggle.

Further suggestions most welcome :)

Vray.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

I just started a new world as well, figuring that with all the hardcore stuff of late it'd be nice to get some new scenery to destroy. It's a particularly nice seed, you start out in a pretty large forest and there's a desert, plains, swamp, snow biome of some kind, extreme hills with lots of high water sources, a village (in the desert), and some great caves all within pretty reasonable range of the spawn.

Seed: 7576757615585904196

See my post in this thread for my story about this new seed.
heyz

Post by heyz »

I just started over too. It was a newer world, having played less than a few dozen hours, but it felt a little cheaty having slime farms and main buildings all laid out with the aid of F3. And without beds, it is a much richer and hectic experience starting over.

I always do completely random seeds, and play it no matter what. I often let the terrain dictate what kind of base I build, and what that facility is equipped to do. Jungle is easily my favorite, I go nuts on the hilly terrain with bridges and walkways, it ends up like LOTR elvish architecture. Plains usually ends up as some monumental castle. So far, Tiaga is the only biome I haven't built much in, water freezing and hcb could be deliciously challenging.

Only regret is there's not enough hours in the day to start over everyday.
DocLazy

Post by DocLazy »

I like to go old school and generate an InfDev map. It's a bit of a pain, as you need to downgrade to infdev then walk around to generate the map, then convert it to anvil, add the new ores and fix the biomes. I set the biome for the entire island to forest as it works well with the type of terrain generated. I recommend the infdev terrain generator if you are an explorer type. The terrain it generates is more unique and natural looking, which works great with BTW's new spawning as there are plenty of landmarks to find your way around. Compared to the current generator where every biome type looks practically the same and there's no point in exploring. As an added bonus there is a bug in this version of the terrain generator, where it will occasionally go berserk and create mountains and overhangs that reach the height limit.
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

as a player who still remembers the day lighting&crafting where added, you must tell me how to do this.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

muggsbud wrote:as a player who still remembers the day lighting&crafting where added, you must tell me how to do this.
Google MCNostalgia. It's a tool you can use to downgrade your minecraft client.
DocLazy

Post by DocLazy »

To play an older version you need to downgrade using MCNostalgia, the June 18 version of InfDev is the one you want.

If you want to create a good looking map to play with BTW open up Infdev. Generate a new world by finding a spawn you like then explore as much terrain as you need. I usually follow the coast and do a complete circle. Then using a map maker like cartograph I generate a map, to see which bits of the terrain haven't been generated. It's then just a matter of going back into the game and exploring those areas.

Because the latest version of Minecraft can't convert InfDev maps, You need to downgrade to a beta version 1.3+. Load the map and convert it. Once that's finished converting load up the most recent version of minecraft and convert the map again, but don't play it yet.

These next steps are optional but very useful.

Get NBToolkit, this is used to add redstone and lapis ore.
Run these commands once to add each ore:
nbtoolkit oregen -b 21 -w "Put your world path here"
nbtoolkit oregen -b 73 -w "Put your world path here"

Once that's done get biomepainter, I just change the whole map to forest biome.

Finally your map is ready to play in BTW. The only problem is you'll need to travel to an unexplored area to get clay and some plants, I did this using nether portals because my map is huge.
Vray

Post by Vray »

I have had a really great time wandering through some of your ideas. Haven't found a permanent spot yet, but the 'stars' seed, and the 75767576... seed have given me some great ideas and might yet wind up becoming my new home. Please feel free to keep discussing the topic or posting new seeds you find since many seem to be starting over again.

Thanks again to a wonderful community, and a really awesome Modder.

Vray.
wizardglick

Post by wizardglick »

I've been thinking about this too. Had a couple of ideas,'

- Obviously, it's BTW, so you need wood and water nearby. If there's water above you, so much the better. You also need water to fish in, to help with the early food hunt.

- A nearby desert, besides being a good place for your first windmill, is a great mob hunting ground. Also, at least some desert temple-thingies feature chests filled with bones. That could seriously help out an early farm, as well as tame any wolves you find.

- swamps (jungles too?) lily pads and vines are pretty useful, especially before you have a saw to take advantage of efficient recipes. Also mushrooms. Need to grab anything remotely edible or you are going to starve to death.

- Xtreme Hills. Yeah, emeralds. But also, not boring.

- Villages. I never know what to do with villages. When I started playing, Steve was the only sentient being on the planet, and I liked it that way. Anyway, if there's a village nearby, you can steal their food, until they can do something interesting.

- Plains. Because "Simply Horses" mod may yet be updated and remain compatible with BTW, and everyone knows that the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a Steve.

And if the Nether gate at your main base opens near a nether fortress, so much the better.

I guess the main thing is that the BTW mod makes good use of so much of the resources in the Minecraft world that ideally, you would want to be close to everything. But where's the challenge in that?
wizardglick

Post by wizardglick »

So, I just thought I would share. Using MultiMC, I created a new instance to run a vanilla 1.4.2 world. I spawned in a Taiga, and had to smile when I saw half a dozen wolves in site of the spawn. Wolves always seem easy to find, except when I have bones in my inventory and BTW installed :-).

So I was looking around, and quickly found a nice big body of water, and a bit of a river that had a desert on the opposite shore! Then I was walking around the desert and found a desert village with a nice little farm to plunder. On the way back I found a convenient ravine - with a waterfall! And two pumpkins on the opposite hillside. And more wolves!

Also, looked a cave mouth and a bat flew out. Not relevant to BTW, but I thought it was nicely done (perhaps not blocky enough though).

Anyway, I was going to play vanilla on this, but it seems like a nice place to start a BTW world. I don't quite remember what I typed in for a seed, but seedscope.net tells that it is: