Dungeons of Dredmor <3

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
BinoAl

Dungeons of Dredmor <3

Post by BinoAl »

I've been playing this game nonstop lately. I've had it for months and months now, but I'm just now getting really into it. Anyone else hopelessly addicted? :D
Detritus

Re: Dungeons of Dredmor <3

Post by Detritus »

I was for a while. I bought all the expansions, and played it for a few days straight, and then got bored of it. It's a very good game.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Haha yeah, I got the expansions, too. I love the no time to grind mode. I'm essentially speedrunning the game now :)
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

I play on full levels, but that means it takes several years to complete one floor.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Detritus wrote:I play on full levels, but that means it takes several years to complete one floor.
Heh yeah, I like the quicker gameplay much more. I've always loved faster paced progression in any game
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

From the video on the steam store page, it seems the game is rather slow. Or maybe a bit tedious to play. It's just a feeling I got while watching the video.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I've poured quite some time in this little gem. To the point where I can say I tried most character concepts :P

I played on full levels too myself, I enjoy the slow and deliberate pacing. But boy did I die like there's no tomorrow. I eventually decided to try a non permadeath character, but as I was making progress something else came out, can't remember what, and got my attention and I've yet to continue that character. It sure is hardcore at some points :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Gormador wrote:From the video on the steam store page, it seems the game is rather slow. Or maybe a bit tedious to play. It's just a feeling I got while watching the video.
There's actually a seperate mode called "No Time to Grind" that basically makes each floor smaller, but give the same amount of XP overall
PizzaSHARK!

Post by PizzaSHARK! »

BinoAl wrote:I've been playing this game nonstop lately. I've had it for months and months now, but I'm just now getting really into it. Anyone else hopelessly addicted? :D
I got bored once I beat it. I might play it again sometime. It's a very fun game and you can't beat it for the price.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

PizzaSHARK! wrote: I got bored once I beat it. I might play it again sometime. It's a very fun game and you can't beat it for the price.
By beat it, do you just mean killing Lord Dredmor? I couldn't make myself stop there, the fun was always in trying out different builds for me
PizzaSHARK!

Post by PizzaSHARK! »

BinoAl wrote:
PizzaSHARK! wrote: I got bored once I beat it. I might play it again sometime. It's a very fun game and you can't beat it for the price.
By beat it, do you just mean killing Lord Dredmor? I couldn't make myself stop there, the fun was always in trying out different builds for me
Yeah. I didn't really find most of the other skills to be very fun so once I killed Dredmor I moved on to other games.

I'd still recommend DoD as babby's first roguelike to anyone who's even vaguely interested in the genre, though. It's damned near free, it's hilarious, and the graphical interface makes it a lot more accessible than ASCII-based roguelikes like Nethack.
King Of Midgard
Location: Montgomery St., Chicopee, Massachusetts, United States of America

Post by King Of Midgard »

Ive been playins the diggles outta this game. I have around 687 characters, each unique in their own lil ways. Still have yet to beat the 6th floor. Wish me luck :D
This is not a signature. It's an epitaph.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I just started playing around with mods in this game...
http://community.gaslampgames.com/threa ... tion.2561/
Love it. Adds 3 classes, but the major draw is that it basically "renovates" the entire dungeon. THe mod adds several hundred new room types, items, recipes, etc.
Not to mention, one of the classes was actually posted about by Gaslamp, the Radiant Mage. Worth checking out for sure :)
PizzaSHARK!

Post by PizzaSHARK! »

I actually started playing again now that people brought it to my attention again. Bought the two DLCs and it's a nice bit of fresh content to have fun with. Might have to look for an item rebalance mod, though... it looks like swords are the best weapons as far as stats go, saw a sword in a shop with freaking 50 slashing damage on it.
King Of Midgard
Location: Montgomery St., Chicopee, Massachusetts, United States of America

Post by King Of Midgard »

With bonuses Maces can be just as strong, or stronger. Same with Polearms, Axes, Daggers, and Crossbows. No one weapon is best, as some creatures have high resistance to one type of damage or another. Most have a resistance to one of the three base damage types(Slashing, Crushing, and Piercing). I prefer maces as my Dwarven Atom Smasher deals 40 Crushing, 5 Aethereal, 2 Necromantic(I have a little black book equipped) and 2 Voltaic (Viking magic level one spell always active). I also have a +18 damage bonus. :D
This is not a signature. It's an epitaph.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Plus, with maces, you can craft some very good ones with relatively few materials
http://www.dredmorwiki.com/wiki/Builds:Hammertime
PizzaSHARK!

Post by PizzaSHARK! »

I've been a big fan of spears combined with warlockery. Once you unlock the skill that procs a Puissant Touch every time you block, you just leave spear's defensive stance (which gives huge bonuses to block and counterattack at the cost of melee power) on pretty much all the time and stuff just dies for even trying to hit you. Add a shield and the shields skill for best effects.

About the only downside is that when the defensive stance procs its special attack (shoves the target and any items on that tile back two paces and stuns it), the monster doesn't finish moving back until after you can begin your turn. You can really end up screwing up your positioning because of that - you hit S to attack the monster below you, but it's in the process of being shoved backwards due to a stance proc, and so now you just moved forward and potentially are now fighting three monsters at a time instead of one or two.

I will say that monster zoos tend to take a while with this build since I don't include any skills that provide lots of AOE skills; Warlockery has one but it has a colossal cooldown associated with it, and while I have alchemy and can make flasks, not every monster is vulnerable to toxic, acid, or putrefying damage. On the other hand, if you sit in a corner with defensive stance and the warlockery mana shield up, you're almost impossible to hurt, let alone kill.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I've been trying Radiant Mage builds lately, and I got a great one. Basically, the focus is on Radiant Magic and Fungal Arts, to build up shitloads of mushrooms and turn them all into night caps. Prismatic Spray + Near infinite night caps? *angelic choir*