[4.30] Jade Dragon Realm --Closed

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
jadedcat

Re: [4.21] Jade Dragon Realm (Anarchy) Updated

Post by jadedcat »

I have clarified the whitelist requirements in the OP.

Also ... while its not against the rules... I am not fond of people killing themselves for hunger resets.
FlowerChild wrote:
-Fixed fucking annoying door-banging ...... BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jadedcat wrote: Also ... while its not against the rules... I am not fond of people killing themselves for hunger resets.
Are people still doing that with Hardcore Spawn enabled? I would have thought it would have become far less appealing.

I'm not a fan of intentional suicides either.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Well, due to the fact that it chooses you a new spawn for a period of time, once you die for the first time in that period, you can memorize the way back to base. People will exploit it no matter what, because if there was a new spawn each time you died, they would use death to reset the spawn, but as it is now, they can use it to reset their hunger bar. Either way, it's still an exploit.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
jadedcat

Post by jadedcat »

FlowerChild wrote:
jadedcat wrote: Also ... while its not against the rules... I am not fond of people killing themselves for hunger resets.
Are people still doing that with Hardcore Spawn enabled? I would have thought it would have become far less appealing.

I'm not a fan of intentional suicides either.

Saw someone do it today. Asked why they died so frequently..They said "Hunger reset" I said "Hardcore spawn?" He/she said "Just something to deal with now"

I am very tempted to temp ban people if they die more then a certain number of times in a row in a set time frame.
FlowerChild wrote:
-Fixed fucking annoying door-banging ...... BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

jadedcat wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:
jadedcat wrote: -SNIP-
lol, if you did that, I would be temp banned all the time; Early game, I die many times in a row, because I seem to always spawn at night, and then get killed by many mobs. I try and get back to where I died, and in the process, die again.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

jadedcat wrote:Saw someone do it today. Asked why they died so frequently..They said "Hunger reset" I said "Hardcore spawn?" He/she said "Just something to deal with now"
It was an odd response; I still don't quite understand what they meant ...
jadedcat wrote:I am very tempted to temp ban people if they die more then a certain number of times in a row in a set time frame.
That's an interesting idea. But what about people who are just bad players, as opposed to intentional suicidists? Or is it a case of "Well, if you're a bad player, you don't stand much of a chance here, anyway"? :P

On a more positive note, I am *very* happy with how I got on today. More than made up for my ... *ahem* ... unfortunate first session on the server.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hmmm...I'll think about in-game ways to punish such behavior. I already have a couple of ideas, because yes, it's retarded and immersion squashing when people start leaping off cliffs for gamey reasons like that.
jadedcat

Post by jadedcat »

Eriottosan wrote:
jadedcat wrote:I am very tempted to temp ban people if they die more then a certain number of times in a row in a set time frame.
That's an interesting idea. But what about people who are just bad players, as opposed to intentional suicidists? Or is it a case of "Well, if you're a bad player, you don't stand much of a chance here, anyway"? :P

On a more positive note, I am *very* happy with how I got on today. More than made up for my ... *ahem* ... unfortunate first session on the server.

I know thats the problem.... then again it would basically be vanilla hardcore mode light.Hardcore vmc servers temp ban you every time you die. Some ban you permanently if you reach a certain number of deaths.

But it would be hard without being able to see what their hunger was at when they died. Since mainly I would like to be able to make it even less desirable to suicide hunger reset. I don't much worry about players with bad luck..its the players exploiting death to get around hunger that annoys me. Grow some frickin food or something.

Then again on the other side... the world is barren of edible animals for quite some distance from spawn which is also hard on players just starting off. And short of spawning in a handful of animals every now and then I have no idea how to solve that issue. Its easy enough to say kill an animal get food but with wheat taking a long time to grow and animals not respawning very rapidly I can understand the frustration with hunger. Doesn't mean I approve of suicide.

ETA: Food isn't as much an issue in SSP .. you just move to a new chunk.. with 30 active players food becomes scarce pretty quick at least easy food to start with. You may have to go several days to find animals for food.
FlowerChild wrote:
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

It's really not that hard jade, you just have to make feeding yourself a priority your first couple of in-game days. Players aren't used to that so they run off and start a construction project, sprint everywhere, or jump around like buffoons without realizing that they're killing themselves in the process.

I've basically been living nomadic since I joined your server, and I haven't died once. I've just been killing any animals I come across, and not only am I never hungry, but I've also good food stores stashed here and there around the world from the excess I've gathered.

IMO, it requires a change in player tactics, not in server rules.
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

May I ask how you're working through the tech tree without settling anywhere? I tried to work out how to get around this one previously but eventually gave in and made a base.
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

AngelWithDirtyHands wrote:May I ask how you're working through the tech tree without settling anywhere? I tried to work out how to get around this one previously but eventually gave in and made a base.
I haven't been. I've just been playing in the vanilla tech, and have only now started to setup a more permanent location where I'll start on the mod's tech tree.

I suspect I only have about 10 hours play on the server, given I spend most of my "game time" developing the mod. But as I've mentioned elsewhere, I think people in general may overemphasize the "need" to go through the tech-tree as quickly as possible in anarchy.

There's a definite trade-off in building up tech in BTW anarchy, and that's intentional. It requires at least a semi-permanent facility, and in anarchy, that's a liability. The higher the tech, the greater that liability is. It's somewhat of a self-balancing mechanism in that the players with the most tech also possess the biggest targets, and have the most to lose.
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

Ah I see :) I'm relatively new to anarchy, and was thrown in the deep end somewhat by being made bounty within my first few days - I spent the first couple of weeks trying to work out how to progress through the tree while on the move. This makes more sense, and makes me feel like I did something right when I weighed up my priorities and ran :)
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

I'm with FC on this one. I think I've died 3 times - once due to stupidity and twice due to panicking. But I'm now at a point where short of other players, I am unlikely to die. Gathering food is my first priority in game nowadays, especially now that you know if you don't have animals nearby, you're in great danger of going so hungry that you will kill yourself making bread. On regular biome size, you can find apples with relative ease, which will keep you alive till you have a good wheat store. It's only then that I start mining/jumping/running more than vitally necessary. You just need to remember it, which is true of any game mechanic. The lack of animals is only a problem when it comes to wanting to progress in the btw tech tree. And the solution is to either keep your fingers crossed, or use the fact they are noisy buggers to try and find peoples' bases and steal them. It's nothing you need to fix, jadedcat, it's players' mentalities that need changing.

EDIT: spelling and such. On the iPod so not easy to type.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yeah, I agree with eriotto on this. The lack of animals can become a problem, but there are ways around it. (Though I have been surviving off of rotten flesh (no water) and have died three or four times from actually starving (or commiting sucide at one heart to get a more honorable death message (note that I only do that if I am practically dead already, not an escape. I am dead no matter how I die, including starving))) triple nested parentheses for the win!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Zombies really are the solution to all your early-game hunger needs. Make cannibalism your first resort! (Paid for by the council for the ethical consumption of human flesh)

It's possible to get a bit of a ways up the tech tree and still be mobile: You can carry around a cauldron and some netherrack, for example, and set it up when you camp. The problem I've found with doing this is that when you carry your possessions on your back, there's nothing to go back to find after death. I tried living the life of a nomadic monument-builder and found that I really, really needed a base.

Of course, I spend all the time I should have spend going up the tech tree trying to make my base look pretty. I'm such a bad player.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

The only problem with cannibalism is that it is only available in large amounts at night. As to making the base look pretty before going up the tree, I do the exact same (not on anarchy, though).
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Of course, I spend all the time I should have spend going up the tech tree trying to make my base look pretty. I'm such a bad player.
Not the only one with this kind of problem decided for this server that I'd make my base entirely out of mossy stone brick (its still not finished) fortunately since the stuff takes so long to "grow" (is that the right word?) I ended up going up the tech tree whilst I waited, then I realised just how much of a blessing a mattock, crucible and various other BTW items are when trying to make your base look pretty.

oh just to add is there anyone who lives in a jungle biome who uses a piston activated entrance?
finite8

Post by finite8 »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Zombies really are the solution to all your early-game hunger needs.

yum yum
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Pucc wrote:oh just to add is there anyone who lives in a jungle biome who uses a piston activated entrance?
Yup, that was base 3 :) I didn't know it was gone yet ^^
Easily the most obvious one, I guess you heard the cows ?

Congrats the the raider who found my base 1 btw, I don't know how he did it because there was just a big hole going from the surface 50 blocks above to the base itself, and he didn't sign his victory.
I guess it's time to finish base 4 before someone founds the last one ^^

As for how I play, when I started I rushed to steel, to be able to make a stack of glue, so now I have 4 hidden chests scattered around the map, with a water wheel, a bellow a crucible and a saw, just to be able to restart if I die/loose my bases :)

I also have two not-so-well hidden windmill, I checked yesterday and nobody destroyed them, which was a surprise ^^
Looks like some people used it though ;)
finite8

Post by finite8 »

It's always so gratifying when you enter an area that has lots of animals. You can go "Yay! No-one has pillaged this area yet" and your base feels all the more secure.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

FlowerChild wrote: IMO, it requires a change in player tactics, not in server rules.
as the person who said the thing about just having to "deal with" hardcore spawn and looking at what was said in this last page of the thread i can say that this is the answer to the problem. I tried not sprinting/jumping, and well it worked so yeah i think i can safely that this is the answer to the problem of hunger resetting.
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

Battosay wrote:
Pucc wrote:oh just to add is there anyone who lives in a jungle biome who uses a piston activated entrance?
Yup, that was base 3 :) I didn't know it was gone yet ^^
Easily the most obvious one, I guess you heard the cows ?

Congrats the the raider who found my base 1 btw, I don't know how he did it because there was just a big hole going from the surface 50 blocks above to the base itself, and he didn't sign his victory.
I guess it's time to finish base 4 before someone founds the last one ^^

As for how I play, when I started I rushed to steel, to be able to make a stack of glue, so now I have 4 hidden chests scattered around the map, with a water wheel, a bellow a crucible and a saw, just to be able to restart if I die/loose my bases :)

I also have two not-so-well hidden windmill, I checked yesterday and nobody destroyed them, which was a surprise ^^
Looks like some people used it though ;)
Found your water stream going into the base the cows were long dead before they even made a sound :) (there are a few signs pointing out your laziness to hide things properly :P). I believe Eriotosan found a base but he usually leaves his signature, as for the not so obvious windmills Pheonixian mentioned seeing one today.

On a similar note I found a opening in a jungle cave today with a chest filled with Iron goodies not sure if it was a failed trap or just someone being kind but my crucible thanks you whoever the Iron loving person is.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

It wasn't a base I found, rather than a Jungle based wheat/hemp farm with a wicked portal. And yes, I leave personalized messages (: may start using books though so people can't fake being me.

EDIT: just remembered, that may have been me ... Extreme hills? I was planning on going back to sign once I found wood but never found it again. I found it 'cos there was a water stream on the side of a cliff I was going to make a base around, and then I realised drip particles above me, mined the stone and tada! Was just hemp and wheat?
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Nope, that's not it ;)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Eriottosan wrote:It wasn't a base I found, rather than a Jungle based wheat/hemp farm with a wicked portal. And yes, I leave personalized messages (: may start using books though so people can't fake being me.
Heh yup, that was mine ;p
No worries, I planned on people finding that :)