Hardcore Info stories

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
pgelinas

Re: Hardcore Info stories

Post by pgelinas »

I think Hardcore beds is the most radical vMC change yet, and that's probably why there's so much sulking over it. Just yesterday I was thinking about what would have happened in my first BTW world if these were in: I spawned in a freaking ocean biome. One tree, no animals, and I though: challenge accepted. One windmill later and finally needing animal I started exploring on boat if there was land near. I had F3 back then, and couldn't find anything in a 2000 block diameter of my spawn, so I just ventured in one direction. 1 hour and 25k blocks later, I find land; of course first thing I did is make a bed. Now, without beds, what would I have done? I would have prepared more carefully, probably exploring through the nether instead, making portals at "regular" intervals to see if I can find land. Probably would have been more fun then holding w for 1 hour.

Hardcore beds and hardcore info definitely forces you to prepare your adventure, as it should be. It seems tedious when talking about it, but it certainly is fun when you play the game :D
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I started playing more and more Anarchy lately, and when I played yesterday in Jaded's server I got lost at least 4 different times with Iron tools, watches, some valuable materials and sometimes full Iron armor. Whenever I understood it'd be hard to find my base again or I was about to starve to death, I decided to build a small mini-base (usually a wood hut and one time a cavern on the mountain side). In it I put a few signs shortly detailing I was about to starve and I'd never find my way back home, and a chest containing everything I had on myself. Today I played a bit again and when I went searching for cows I suddenly found one of my "death huts" :)
TheAnarchitect wrote: Not to mention that this makes the flint block a way better method of hiding your base. "Oh I hit bedrock. This must be the bottom." Would never have worked with depth gauges.
That's brilliant.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

TheAnarchitect wrote: Not to mention that this makes the flint block a way better method of hiding your base. "Oh I hit bedrock. This must be the bottom." Would never have worked with depth gauges.
Oh! that is amazing! one issue with strip mining in anarchy is that it is widespread an easily found. with this though, that is finally a feasible thing to do. You, my friend, are a genius.

EDIT: On Jade's server, I built a nether portal, just to find that it lead to someone else's, and I thought, "Crap, how do I find my way back?" So I mined in that area, found iron and redstone, and made a compass to get to spawn, where I found my way to my base. Without HCI, I would have known my base's coords and just walked straight to it.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Not sure how effective that would be guys. It's pretty easy to detect if you dig into it, and an entire level comprised of it would quickly be noticed as a result.

It's more intended to disguise areas mixed in with normal bedrock.

As for disguising branch-mines, there's no real reason to disguise the mine itself as someone finding your mine isn't particularly dangerous. What you don't want them doing is working their way into your actual base through discovering a mine, and there are several ways to prevent that happening, including just making sure to do your mining in a location separate from your main base. For my part, I tend to build a lot of temporary mines here and there while I'm passing the night in various places, to avoid having my mines associated with my base in any way.

Also, building anything major near bedrock is a rather dangerous thing to do in anarchy due to the chance of a random player's mine intersecting it.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

In Jadedcat's server, I died. I respawned in a distant place I did not know, searched around and around for the spawn/my base until I died of hunger, and repeated. After about 3 hours of this I finally decided to just settle wherever I spawn, and it was a lot better. Also, after I died there I could easily return since I already explored most of the area around it unlike with my old base.

I had a lot of fun playing with this mod, but I have to say I noticed a very large number of people really hated this change after a while. For instance, CycloneSP just decided to ragequit after a few hours of searching, and a lot of other players disconnected because of this change as well.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Itamarcu wrote: I had a lot of fun playing with this mod, but I have to say I noticed a very large number of people really hated this change after a while. For instance, CycloneSP just decided to ragequit after a few hours of searching, and a lot of other players disconnected because of this change as well.
Like the other changes, they'll get used to it. It's just a difference in perception between the way things used to be and the way they are now. If they're constantly trying to get back to where they were without taking the time to build a compass, then yes, they'll likely get frustrated. That's a result of them not adapting their play style to the changes though, not a problem with the feature itself.

It's worth noting that one of the main motivations behind this change is to prevent people immediately going back to whatever they were doing when they died, without using a "gamey" system like a respawn timer or what have you. If you're trying to bypass that by just trying to run straight back to your base, then yes, obviously you're going to get fucked. If you don't then figure out that you should probably change your playstyle to accommodate that and just keep sticking your finger in the electrical outlet while saying "ow", then yes, you will likely get frustrated and rage-quit.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

To add my own story to this -

During my livestream last night adventure was had! I was told to go kill the Enderdragon, to which I promptly said, "Hell no, I'm not ready yet." A lot of Soul Forged Steel was made, and in the process I made my first accidental ghast by right clicking with soul urns. There was screaming, and yelling, and cries of "OH MY GOD I can't believe I did that!" All the while explaining to the majority of my unindoctronated audience about how the hell a GHAST was in the overworld. Eventually, though, the whiny kitten baby of firey doom wandered off on his own, leaving my village generally in tact. That's not where I died.

Later, it was pointed out that in order to find a stronghold and activate the portal to the End I would need a fair number of Eyes of Ender. Not really wanting to spend the time camping around for Endermen in my world - since their spawn has been relatively rare in my world - I was reminded that priest villagers will sometimes offer Enderperls for sale. I gathered up all my raw hemp and went out to my village. Luckily I already had a priest! I traded all of my hemp to him and he... only asked for one less hemp per trade >.> Disappointing, but I did encounter several Endermen both on the way there, and the way back.

Man, I have to hand it to you. That first encounter with an Enderman was freaking exhilarating! I was tense, I was in the midst of a hell of an adrenaline rush. Finding his xp several block away after his death was confusing. Seeing my first Enderman holding a piece of End stone made me squee. I was apparently lucky, as I only encountered single Endermen without any buddies, but it still blew my mind when I realized the easiest and best way to engage an Enderman was to look at him. Total reversal in thinking for me! But still I was victorious against the bastards. That's not where I died.

At the very end of my stream, being extremely drunk at that point, (drinking an entire 750mL bottle of irish cream will do that!) I was standing on top of my water tower I've been building for my next episode. I knew I was getting to the end of things, and decided I wanted to just go down quickly. There's a water source next to the water tower - hard core buckets after all. So I jumped. And I only managed to remember when I hit the ground that one block of water was not enough to break a 20+ block fall.

Crap. I was dead. Hardcore Spawn was enabled. Not only did I not spawn in my warm, comfy bed, but in a different part of forest than I had originally spawned. Crap. Crap. CRAP!

My one saving grace? I turned around and noticed I had spawned (barely) within sight of the light of my village. *wipes forehead in relief* Thank god FlowerChild. I know you're addicted to XCom, but you missed a HELL of a stream last night.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.