Hardcore Endermen Spoilers

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Syruse

Hardcore Endermen Spoilers

Post by Syruse »

I have created this thread for people to post their findings on the new changes made to Endermen in the 4.21 release of BTW.

I my self have already made a few discoveries:
Upon taking a visit to my Enderman farm in the End dimension, I noticed that Endermen now seem to have a rare chance of dropping endstone when they die. Further walking around my End, it seems that Endermen have a chance to spawn with the Endstone in their hands. I have also observed a rather odd behavior with them. When walking around my End occasionally thunder would sound, on closer inspection it appears that the Endermen are causing the noise also causing a puff of smoke and ending with the Enderman disappearing (could this be the way they travel between dimensions?)

Please post your findings, as I am interested in knowing where the Endermen are getting the Endstone they have, it can't be comming from the end itself.
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
darahalian

Re: Hardcore Endermen Spoilers

Post by darahalian »

I've seen endermen holding endstone in the overworld, and they thunder and disappear there too. They also only seem to take blocks from corners, where they won't leave obvious holes :)

Another thing. If you look at one enderman, not only will it aggro on you, but all the endermen in the area will aggro on you.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Andellmere

Post by Andellmere »

I set up an experiment to see how endermen react without a player they can see.

First thing I discovered: They know you're there. Even through blocks that light doesn't pass through.(Mod that has see-through blocks pretty much exclusively for this purpose)

Second thing: AHH!!!! THEY'RE CONVERTING DIRT TO ENDSTONE!!!!

So, yeah. Endermen are gathering blocks to expand the End.

Good job on making me terrified of endermen all over again, FC.
Need a combination door? I've got one you can use.
Incomitatum

Post by Incomitatum »

I dunno where I read/got the idea, that they would convert dirt to EndStone, and then if you tried to move that EndStone at night they would come forth and shank you.

So are they slowly turning the Overworld into the END?

I have seen them carrying the EndStone, and I guess they DO convert dirt into it. But are they putting it back down as EndStone? I haven't seen evidence of this.

My players are confused as to what is different.

Then again, it keeps them on their toes. I tell you what we've seen a LOT more of them.
Psion

Post by Psion »

Perhaps they're converting dirt to end stone, then warping back to the end (despawning) to rebuild it? o-O after all, they only got a tiny little island in the end, you'd think theyd want to expand their territory.

I guess this means it would be possible to build an end stone farm too, if that is indeed what they are doing. Block dispensers with dirt blocks and a buddy block in a mob trap, so endermen can pick them up then get killed for the end stone... maybe. I'm not entirely sure how that would work. XD
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

I think it's worth asking, has anyone checked to see if the list of what they can pick up has changed? Anyone caught an enderman walking off with an axel or anything like that?
Kmand

Post by Kmand »

I bet that Flower has some neat new uses for Endstone in mind, now that it is renewable.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I was attacked without making eye contact on Jadedcat's server earlier. I was just observing, trying to figure out their ways. One of them flipped his shit and came at me (bro) and I got hit from the flanks by another I hadn't seen. If it didn't start raining, I would've been toast. Be careful around endermen people, they are no longer a joke.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ribky wrote:I was attacked without making eye contact on Jadedcat's server earlier.
That's highly unlikely. You may have accidentally looked at another or something.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

just wanna say they still seem to run away during the day. so that hasnt changed.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Also, for anyone interested in changing the wiki, though I don't know if it was ever the case, the gimp mask will not save you.
The spice must flow...

reaper45693

Post by reaper45693 »

Has anyone tried looking at them with ender specs on??
I havn't, but possibly new things could happen.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

I remember a while back FC said something about wanting to include endstone in the tech tree, but due to its limited availabilty he didn't. Maybe this is a step in that direction, who knows.

The aggroing of the surrounding endermen is quite the game changer in the end, mind you. I quite like it.
Andellmere

Post by Andellmere »

Incomitatum wrote:I dunno where I read/got the idea, that they would convert dirt to EndStone, and then if you tried to move that EndStone at night they would come forth and shank you.

So are they slowly turning the Overworld into the END?

I have seen them carrying the EndStone, and I guess they DO convert dirt into it. But are they putting it back down as EndStone? I haven't seen evidence of this.

My players are confused as to what is different.

Then again, it keeps them on their toes. I tell you what we've seen a LOT more of them.
Psion wrote:Perhaps they're converting dirt to end stone, then warping back to the end (despawning) to rebuild it? o-O after all, they only got a tiny little island in the end, you'd think theyd want to expand their territory.

I guess this means it would be possible to build an end stone farm too, if that is indeed what they are doing. Block dispensers with dirt blocks and a buddy block in a mob trap, so endermen can pick them up then get killed for the end stone... maybe. I'm not entirely sure how that would work. XD
From what I saw, the Endermen pick up a block(I only saw dirt, but further testing may prove otherwise) and then wander around with it for a bit. After several moments, you hear an odd noise and the block changes into Endstone and the Enderman continues to wander. Several minutes after that, you hear thunder and the Enderman vanishes, presumably off to deliver the Endstone to the End.
Need a combination door? I've got one you can use.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

darahalian wrote:Another thing. If you look at one enderman, not only will it aggro on you, but all the endermen in the area will aggro on you.
The first thing that comes to mind is Etho's ender ender. I might give that style of farm a go...
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I'm rather excited to see what place Flower has planned for end stone in the tech tree... :)
Twololcats

Post by Twololcats »

I remember fc saying he might add the end to the tech tree but people with older world and no end prevented that, maybe now with their endstone griefing he can add something
But all of the new features seem very cool
Also, I wonder what happens if you are next to an enderman when they do their inter dimensional thunder noise travel thing, if anything at all
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Twololcats wrote:I remember fc saying he might add the end to the tech tree but people with older world and no end prevented that, maybe now with their endstone griefing he can add something
Yup, exactly :)
Panda

Post by Panda »

Hmmm flower, this wouldn't by chance have the opportunity to lead into farms designed to be a 'drop off' point for endstone? That would be awesome (-O3O)-
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Panda wrote:Hmmm flower, this wouldn't by chance have the opportunity to lead into farms designed to be a 'drop off' point for endstone? That would be awesome (-O3O)-
I don't think I understand you Panda. What do you mean?
Panda

Post by Panda »

FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Hmmm flower, this wouldn't by chance have the opportunity to lead into farms designed to be a 'drop off' point for endstone? That would be awesome (-O3O)-
I don't think I understand you Panda. What do you mean?
As in making an area that has the right conditions to make enderman want to drop endstone there, then making something that collects it.
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Panda wrote: As in making an area that has the right conditions to make enderman want to drop endstone there, then making something that collects it.
Yeah, I've thought about it, and honestly it would be *really* tough to do. You can detect them picking up blocks easy enough, but the trick would be to detect when they've completed the conversion process, and kill them before they take off, which would be much more difficult.

Would be much simpler to just build a farm in the end for that, which given that the end acts as a bottle-neck in SMP and a potential source for conflict over its control, was more my goal with this.

Overworld farms may provide a backup source of end-stone in a real pinch, but for solid production you'll want to control the end.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

So, has anyone noticed endermen teleporting away when they're killed? I attacked and won against one last night and found corpse teleporting several meters away before vanishing into XP while the pearl it dropped landed at my feet. (Although circumstances were such that the pearl might have come from another Enderman.)
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I noticed that earlier Phoenixian, I fought one in a ravine and his sweet sweet XP teleported to the other side in a desperate attempt to get away.

As for the attacking without looking at them, I haven't duplicated that, so my guess is I probably did just glance at one every so slightly to piss it off. Their new group aggro is freaking scary though, I had one almost dead when he went and got a friend to rough me up a little more before he bit the dust. I have no idea where that second one was, but I'm just going to imagine he went to the End to bring his cousin to mess me up.
The spice must flow...

Psion

Post by Psion »

Endermen seem to convert any block they are able to pick up (as far as i can tell, same as vanilla rules for that) and convert it into endstone at a random time. I saw some endermen pick up a sand block and turn it into endstone in the space of a couple seconds of spawning, and others chill out with a tnt block for several minutes before changing it. I've also seen them change cacti and pumpkins into endstone, so i suppose having pumpkin farms inside your end farm? or perhaps cacti or the like, would be an ideal solution to getting them to convert it into endstone. as an added bonus, if they die before converting the block, organic stuff floats, so you could separate it from endstone that they manage to convert before dying.