FlowerChild's Dev Diary (Week of October 1st)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Graphite

Re: FlowerChild's Dev Diary (Week of October 1st)

Post by Graphite »

The thing that pisses me off about endermen is that they tend to run off with said resources. Though I know it won't get that bad (in part cause they are limited in what they pick up nowadays), I always end up reminded of the ender experiment (warning: loud music). Ever so slowly your world is deprived of its resources :P
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

FlowerChild wrote: The mod will even get an extra resource out of it as an added bonus ;)
Shit yes.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

FlowerChild wrote:
rockninja wrote: is them picking up dirt blocks /that/ bad? or am i missing something important here?
I think it's largely dependent on your level of OCD and your particular base layout. In my main base, it doesn't bother me much as I live in a walled compound that extends out to mob spawn distance.

In my SMP base on the other hand (the one I often put pictures of in this thread), my base is smaller and I like the terrain surrounding it, and have spent a fair amount of time landscaping. Constantly coming out to find random holes in the terrain here and there compels me to repair the damage, and it's just getting stupid. Not being able to skip the night anymore is also amplifying the damage caused as it means more Endermen are present for longer stretches of time.

Again, there's no meaning to it, it doesn't add any gameplay, and it's just a nuisance. That part of the behavior is also exceedingly easy for me to disable (like ten minutes work), so the cost/benefit ratio is rather favorable.

Wooo! Love to hear you expressing this like I did. Can't wait to see it resolved :D.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

This business of a new resource from enderman activity is very intriguing and the potential for player benefit is even better. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you came up with!
johnt

Post by johnt »

FlowerChild wrote:
OldMarriedDude wrote: Sweet! Logical is always better
Yeah, it occurred to me that it wasn't necessarily them grabbing the blocks that's a problem, but rather where they are grabbing blocks from (forming random holes in the terrain), and that should be a relatively easy fix.

I also realized that there's an aspect of the Hardcore changes I was going to make, and probably make optional, that I can also do relatively easily without actually making them "hardcore" in terms of being an additional hazard, that makes their behavior make a hell of a lot more sense.

The mod will even get an extra resource out of it as an added bonus ;)
Excellent, I've always thought that minecraft needed entropy and that Endermen were a good way of providing it (I also like the idea of rain putting out torches as another source of entropy and danger), but Notch really half-assed the implementation of enderman and basically abandoned it instead of finishing it. I guess what i love about Enderman in principle is the idea that if you abandon a base, you'll come back to it in ruins from them picking stuff up and moving it around over time. But that actually isn't possible the way they're currently coded.
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

I'm hyped for another form of challenge / feature to Endermen. Outside of Hardcore / hard difficulty they present no issue what so ever.

I remember prior to the original release they were "bigged up" in an grotesquely OTT manner. They were intended / believed by the community to be scary, what we were given however was a three block tall thin man who was scared of water and might steal some dirt. Even the later added buff to the Endermen still left them disappointingly monotonous. They were more annoying than scary :/.

I digress... In my eyes, any change to mobs that sprinkles some much needed challenge flakes on MC is a good change in Blazzy's books :)

<3 Flower
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Keep in mind guys: I'm not planning on giving them "the full treatment" that I want to in the future. What I am doing is taking a few aspects of that, that won't significantly impact gameplay too much (at least in terms of making them more dangerous), to make them immediately more interesting and less annoying.

There will still definitely be more work to do on them in the future, but I suspect this will strike a good middle-ground for the time being.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

@FlowerChild

I've ALWAYS hated the griefer-men. Thank god you're going to address these fugly bastards :) I think you said it best in another thread when you pointed out that Mojang had a bunch of interesting ideas and decided to shove them all together into one mob, which was just lame.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Good news guys: Endermen have gone from lame and annoying, to fucking cool. I love them now. I want them to have my Enderbabies.

<dances>
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

You tease! D:
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

FlowerChild wrote:Good news guys: Endermen have gone from lame and annoying, to fucking cool. I love them now. I want them to have my Enderbabies.

<dances>
I'm looking forward to it! :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Sarudak wrote:You tease! D:
*sigh* I love it when he teases. *fans self*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Dralnalak

Post by Dralnalak »

FlowerChild wrote:Enderbabies
This terrifies me.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Dralnalak wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Enderbabies
This terrifies me.
Teleporting placenta?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

Stormweaver wrote:Teleporting placenta?
Please let this be the new resource.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

Oh lord, please let the Ender placenta teleport onto your head, permanently obscuring your vision when attempting to use a bed.
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Decided to put some more time on the Endermen today to get them *just* right. Here's a screen of my final round of testing:
Spoiler
Show
And yes, this is in a creative with a spawning machine going to simulate long-term Endermen action ;)

You'll notice that despite that massive number at work, the terrain still looks fairly natural thanks to some of the changes I've made. Obviously, the grass would normally have time to grow back.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Awesome! Can't wait to try ot out.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Peach774

Post by Peach774 »

Its like Endermen are the Native Terra-formers of Minecarft. They smooth the terrain and make it still keep a nice look instead of a pitted desert full of random holes.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Peach774 wrote:Its like Endermen are the Native Terra-formers of Minecarft. They smooth the terrain and make it still keep a nice look instead of a pitted desert full of random holes.
Yeah, that's what I was going for. Endermen as a force of erosion rather than just random chaos. They still "grief" your terrain, but do so in such a way that you're unlikely to notice unless there are an absolute shit-ton at work or you've remained in the same area a very very long time.

Anyways, that's just a small portion of what I've done to them, but it's the aspect that largely takes care of their extremely high annoyance value.
Panda

Post by Panda »

FlowerChild wrote:Decided to put some more time on the Endermen today to get them *just* right. Here's a screen of my final round of testing:
Spoiler
Show
And yes, this is in a creative with a spawning machine going to simulate long-term Endermen action ;)

You'll notice that despite that massive number at work, the terrain still looks fairly natural thanks to some of the changes I've made. Obviously, the grass would normally have time to grow back.
...I had a very scary and 'unusual' dream about a group of enderman last night... oh god that's scary, as long as they only get grabby with the environment we'll be fine though. : )
Never say no to Panda.
Dralnalak

Post by Dralnalak »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, that's what I was going for. Endermen as a force of erosion rather than just random chaos.
I really like this idea.

Now to start plotting out how to get Enderman to spawn in just the right spawn to flatten areas for me. Who needs a bulldozer when you've got Enderman De-Construction Services? :)
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Hmmm...so the Endermen are trying to make the Overworld more similar to the End by destroying mountains and hills?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Itamarcu wrote:...by destroying mountains and hills?
Or they're flattening the entire minecraft landscape for their own mob-trap. Which is quite suspicious, considering if they are farming mobs.. or us?
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
SpaceGuyR

Post by SpaceGuyR »

Superflat worlds support more villages, maybe the goal is Testificates. (iron? slime? best souls/exp?)