Subforum rules

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Subforum rules

Post by FlowerChild »

NEW RULES FOR THE SUB-FORUM

Nice and simple:

-If I don't like your idea, I'll ban you. End of story.

In other words, don't post anything to this subforum unless you *know* that it will be well received. For the most part, your ideas suck, they are unsolicited advice on me making the mod which I consider to be rude and annoying, and I just don't want to hear them. If you personally think they're so great, then start modding yourself to implement them.

If you want to take the chance, and are convinced your idea is a winner, then follow the following guidelines in your post:

1) Use descriptive titles that sum up your idea in a few words (such as "Horse Driven Carriage"). Threads without descriptive titles will be ignored and/or locked.

2) Post ONE idea per thread. DO NOT post threads that contain a whole whack of ideas that can not be summed up under rule number 1.

3) Do NOT post ideas whose sole purpose is to give a "useless" item another use. Suggest features, NOT recipes for those features.

4) Don't include polls in your suggestion thread. The mod isn't a democracy, votes don't make an idea a good one, and popularity will never be the determining factor in whether an idea gets included in the mod or not. Present logical arguments for the merits of your idea rather than try to attract popular support.

5) Be direct and to the point. Describe your idea and why you want it. I don't want to hear your life story, or how you came up with it, or a long verbose description of the idea. Sum it up, and be done with it. If additional detail is required, you'll be asked for it.

All regular forum rules of course also apply.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Subforum rules

Post by FlowerChild »

One additional note:

If you'd like your idea to be considered, don't waste my time with potential recipes associated with your idea. Recipes are ridiculously easy to come up with, and devoting half a post to them just makes me want to move on to another post.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Some ideas that are so common, they are bound to earn you scorn (and a locked thread) if you repost them:

-Diamond bladed saws.

-Ropes/Pulleys pulling Platforms sideways.

-Steam power.

-A means of generating mechanical power out of redstone.

Also, in general, you should search the idea subforum to see if your idea has already been proposed before posting it. Generally, repeat suggestion threads are shut-down.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Would it be too much to ask for more courtesy when you guys answer the suggestions ?

We can't expect every users to fully understand FC's design philosophy, what's the difference between a good idea and a good feature, why their ideas are too complex/would take too much time/does not fit the spirit of the mod, etc.

As bad as they can get, the suggestions here are mostly directed to FC. Not we, users.

So, from now on, we should adopt a new standard answer to bad ideas :
Your suggestion does not fit the rules, or the spirit of the mod, and is probably never gonna happen.
Please take some time to read to rules, some other suggestions that were considered/accepted, and make sure you played with the mod long enough to fully understand what FC is trying to do here.
The constant negativity on this particular sub-forum is seriously getting on my nerves, and it has been for quite some time.

Oh and, yeah, I know, I'm not perfect too, the above is worth for me too.
Thanks.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well said Battosay. To give everyone an idea, there are a number of people I've considered promoting to turtles in the past, only to review their previous posts and see such a wall of negativity and hostile responses to new users that I've then changed my mind.

I'm definitely not always polite myself, but keep in mind that I've been at this for six months, have a HUGE amount of time invested in this mod, and in a lot of cases really have heard what someone is suggesting more times than I can count. Still, I try to moderate my responses, am making constant efforts to adjust my own attitude, and try not to take things personally.

Please keep in mind this is not some kind of pissing contest to try and outdo each other in terms of hostility. Despite my own failings in that regard, I tend to look most favorably on those that keep a level head and respond politely to people.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Added a 4th rule above:

"4) Don't include polls in your suggestion thread. The mod isn't a democracy, votes don't make an idea a good one, and popularity will never be the determining factor in whether an idea gets included in the mod or not. Present logical arguments for the merits of your idea rather than try to attract popular support."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just a quick note: Please try to refrain from responding to suggestions with "use this other mod". Keep in mind that BTW is designed as a stand-alone mod, and especially with the move away from the Forge, continued compatibility may not be guaranteed.

If a player has a genuine desire to do something that is not possible with the mod, and it is a reasonable one, it should be discussed whether that capability already exists in another mod or not.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Note number 310:

-Please don't suggest ideas that involve blocks that affect mob behavior, specifically if they do so at a distance. These are generally not technically feasible.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Note number 311:

-Don't suggest methods of transporting items upwards. The mod is intentionally designed for this to be difficult and for the downward motion of water-flow to be an inherent part of item transport.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

It's generally not a good idea to make your first posts in this section. Take some time to get to know the mod and the community before making a suggestion.

The following links should help you understand FC's design philosophy and what he's trying to accomplish:
  • FC's first interview: link
  • How to make a good suggestion: link
This has been mentioned before, but I though I'd put it in a central place.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just one small tid-bit: Don't bother suggesting new potions be added to the game by the mod as the potion brewing system is really not conducive to such additions.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Modified the OP with one simple rule: I don't like your idea; you get banned.