Boat Canal with Pumps

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Nerdasaurus_Rex

Boat Canal with Pumps

Post by Nerdasaurus_Rex »

Hey Forum! I'm here to present you with my latest project test! Introducing: The Pump Based Boat Canal for HCB! Mind you, this would be danm near impossible to build in survival! For each block you go, you need 8 gearboxes, 6-8 axles, and 2 screw pumps. The design is fairly simple, and far as I know not an abuse of the pumps.

Here's some screenies:
Spoiler
Show
At one point I thought that the world was perfect.
Then I found BTW.
Now I'm in therapy.
DaveYanakov

Re: Boat Canal with Pumps

Post by DaveYanakov »

As amazing as this looks I cannot imagine that it is economically feasible. Just that short stretch represents enough iron to make 75% of your 32 SFS blocks.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Very cool man :)

Impractical as hell, as you yourself said in the OP, but very cool :)
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

I've got a comment here but first a question: By canal you do mean this is a boating canal yes?

Or do you have another purpose in mind?
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Please ignore everything I said previously. This design is brilliant and incredibly useful because you have just designed a lock system for minecraft water transportation. My error was in limiting myself to thinking of this as a long distance transit option but that completely misses the point.

What you have built here is the solution to that problem one always eventually runs into when a river or lake is seperated from the next body of water by more than one meter of land, preventing the water from merging into a source block and preventing further travel by boat. In the real world this obstacle to river navigation occurs when elevation changes, requiring a boat to sit inside a lock mechanism while water is pumped in or out to match the heit of the next stage of river.

I was. Oncerned about the iron cost of this system over a useful distance of two hundred meters where I should have seen it for the three to twelve meters to make it possible to travel around a map without needing more than one boat. Very well done.
Better is the enemy of Good
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

As someone who grew up near the old Erie Canal locks, this is one of the things I've always wanted to see possible in MC. This is beautiful.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Nerdasaurus_Rex

Apologies for the late post. After posting this I was inspired to work on my IRL projects, then fell into the codespace for 4 hours then passed out.

On topic though:
DaveYanakov wrote: What you have built here is the solution to that problem one always eventually runs into when a river or lake is separated from the next body of water by more than one meter of land, preventing the water from merging into a source block and preventing further travel by boat. In the real world this obstacle to river navigation occurs when elevation changes, requiring a boat to sit inside a lock mechanism while water is pumped in or out to match the height of the next stage of river.
Bingo :P The design is way to complex and expensive to build a canal from your maintain base to the beaches 5,000 blocks away, but is a more manageable project when on traveling a few blocks. As well, the system can be used to keep boats out of fortified harbors by turning off the pumps. All of these things I only thought of after building it. That's the thing I love about this mod. It gives you the tools to design and build things that are beyond even your own imagination.
Then I found BTW.
Now I'm in therapy.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

I can't test right now but couldn't you remove half the pumps and rely upon two or more merging streams to fill the gaps?
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Nerdasaurus_Rex

Foxy Boxes wrote:I can't test right now but couldn't you remove half the pumps and rely upon two or more merging streams to fill the gaps?
That's whats happening now. The stream is brought up on block, then flows downstream 5 blocks, then falls back into the provider channel, flowing to exactly the end of the other stream.

Also, as a side note, I had some really odd behavior with pumps while creating this. They kept thinking that this was a way to cheat and would shut off, requiring a restart.
Then I found BTW.
Now I'm in therapy.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Nono, I meanso that the pump flooring ia replaced with say a pump-wood checkerboard pattern.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
maxsi

Post by maxsi »

it is surely a op build
i guess an EATS road would be a more piratical build
Spoiler
Show
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
Nerdasaurus_Rex

Foxy Boxes wrote:Nono, I meanso that the pump flooring ia replaced with say a pump-wood checkerboard pattern.
but then you have strong currents, which inhibits your travel.
Then I found BTW.
Now I'm in therapy.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

But you don't you see because the currents from one cancels the other, depending on how you arrange the pumps.
Nerdasaurus_Rex

Foxy Boxes wrote:But you don't you see because the currents from one cancels the other, depending on how you arrange the pumps.
That's only with source blocks. I tried. Sorry, if you want the canal you have to pay the price :P
Then I found BTW.
Now I'm in therapy.
teh_tetra

Post by teh_tetra »

A wonderful example of BTW ingenuity.
Foxy Boxes wrote:I don't often see, but when I do, it's what you did there.
Flowerchild wrote:never underestimate the value of a good cudgel
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

If you can deal with having water pushing you into a central channel, you can get by with far fewer pumps. Channel remains rectangular but 5-6 wide. You can do 4, but you're more likely to get pushed into an edge. You can get 13 long run from a 2 step up pump.
Spoiler
Show
So unless you've got an elevated water source nearby, you need 4 pumps (2 for each side) or more for a longer run. Oddly, as you increase the length there should be a point after which you only need one set of pumps when you can run a channel over the canal.

Edit: Or, you can just chain one into another with one pump every 7 blocks for each side. Just have to take care you don't get the water from a pump back into itself.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.