Another indie game that may or may not be a MC ripoff.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
TheLordOfDerp

Another indie game that may or may not be a MC ripoff.

Post by TheLordOfDerp »

Terraria :D. I luvs it. Partly because its super similar to MC and partly because it got some bloody epic music along with some pretty damn overpowered bosses. Its also moddable.
Anyone else like Terraia?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Another indie game that may or may not be a MC ripoff.

Post by FlowerChild »

The development of it was also brought to a sudden and unexpected halt, pissing off much of its community.

Good game...yes, but it's not too popular right now because of that :)
Xekrom337

Post by Xekrom337 »

FlowerChild wrote:The development of it was also brought to a sudden and unexpected halt, pissing off much of its community.

Good game...yes, but it's not too popular right now because of that :)
Wait, what? I'm saving up money to get it, but after hearing that...

Whuh...
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Yeah, I half expected that too happen the entire time. I was pretty into SMBX for a while, and that had the same developer. It was a mario bros game with a level editor, and supposedly Redigit got a cease and desist letter from Nintendo (which turned out to be fake). Terraria was a very fun game, but I tended to only play after an update for a couple days, then move on
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Its still fun from time to time, I'm an old player from back WAY back, I still dig it up now and then just cause it passes the time, used my second copy I got ages ago for the GFs comp and we are gonna start playing it soon, and thats a key part, its always more fun with a friend, as Total Biscuit and Jesse Cox more than show on thier vids.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

DreamsofFury wrote:Its still fun from time to time, I'm an old player from back WAY back, I still dig it up now and then just cause it passes the time, used my second copy I got ages ago for the GFs comp and we are gonna start playing it soon, and thats a key part, its always more fun with a friend, as Total Biscuit and Jesse Cox more than show on thier vids.
How long ago is way back? I followed it's development before release a bit over a year ago, but that's not really way back :p
I played it multiplayer a few times, but a few friends at the time didn't seem to get that we were using fresh characters and would come with end game gear. Plus, one guy blew up my golden brick house because I accidentally killed him with a grenade. I no longer play games with him. Lmao
elustran

Post by elustran »

It's not a Minecraft ripoff any more than Minecraft is a Dwarf Fortress / Infiniminer ripoff. And I understand why they stopped development - they're working on Starbound. Wanderlust was kinda crap though. It's unusual that Minecraft *has* continued development. It's a bit entitled of players to assume that every game is going to turn out like MC. We already act entitled enough expecting FC and other modders to churn out fun new stuff to play with.

On the game itself, I think Terraria did a better job with levelled combat challenges than MC, but it's just not as interesting to build stuff in Terraria.

There are a few games on Steam Greenlight right now that are voxel sandbox adventure games like Minecraft, and much closer to 'rip-offs', although they are distinct.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

elustran wrote: but it's just not as interesting to build stuff in Terraria.
I agree with the above big time, and I think it largely just comes down to 3D construction being much more interesting than 2D.

In pretty much every other way, Terraria is a better game than MC. But the difference there is so staggeringly huge, that it just doesn't have the same legs that MC does.
elustran wrote:It's not a Minecraft ripoff any more than Minecraft is a Dwarf Fortress / Infiniminer ripoff.
Dude, come on, I really *like* Terraria, and I've always found the above statement to be laughable. In many ways, it's even setup as a homage to MC with such obvious similarities even in the details that the author was obviously paying intentional tribute to the game he was imitating.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

elustran wrote:It's not a Minecraft ripoff any more than Minecraft is a Dwarf Fortress / Infiniminer ripoff. And I understand why they stopped development - they're working on Starbound.
Actually, the only one from Terraria working on Starbound is Tiy, Redigit isn't at all related to it
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

BinoAl wrote:
DreamsofFury wrote:Its still fun from time to time, I'm an old player from back WAY back, I still dig it up now and then just cause it passes the time, used my second copy I got ages ago for the GFs comp and we are gonna start playing it soon, and thats a key part, its always more fun with a friend, as Total Biscuit and Jesse Cox more than show on thier vids.
How long ago is way back? I followed it's development before release a bit over a year ago, but that's not really way back :p
I played it multiplayer a few times, but a few friends at the time didn't seem to get that we were using fresh characters and would come with end game gear. Plus, one guy blew up my golden brick house because I accidentally killed him with a grenade. I no longer play games with him. Lmao

Yeah, when I played Multiplayer (we spent like an entire two week holiday playing, before 1.1) my friends wouldn't understand the concept of starting again and would connect and own us all and all the bosses :L

However it was a really fun game at the time, the fact that the updates ceased really annoyed me. The rumours of new updates coming soon have excited me a lot though.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
TheLordOfDerp

Post by TheLordOfDerp »

I think the original reason for stopping the development of Terraria was because the head developer did the dirty and became quite busy...
elustran

Post by elustran »

FlowerChild wrote:Dude, come on, I really *like* Terraria, and I've always found the above statement to be laughable. In many ways, it's even setup as a homage to MC with such obvious similarities even in the details that the author was obviously paying intentional tribute to the game he was imitating.
I agree there's homage, but I distinguish between 'rip off' and 'homage'. I might say that Manic Digger, for example, is closer to a rip-off of Minecraft or maybe even that Minecraft is closer to a rip-off of Infiniminer than Terraria is a rip off of Minecraft. The main reason is that Terraria is set up more like a classic 2-d adventure game, except you have some control over the world and need to gather resources to advance. The game is much more geared toward improving your equipment and taking on the next boss monster. I actually think Terraria has more in common with Dwarf Fortress than Minecraft, at least in terms of challenge progression - there's more emphasis on functional architecture, there's a wider array of crafting tools, you need to defend against mob armies, and things get more dangerous the deeper you go.

Of course, both Minecraft and Terraria lack the economy and personnel management of Dwarf Fortress, as well as the fun of watching a dwarf go insane because his entire family and his puppy bled to death after getting savaged by some Forgotten Beast.

Dwarf Fortress, Minecraft, and Terraria form a core of games that each define a different aspect of the 'blocky construction game' genre.

Can anybody think of a game that fits that genre that came out before Dwarf Fortress?