Be careful with that axe, Eugene

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
StarsintheSky

Be careful with that axe, Eugene

Post by StarsintheSky »

My property is a wooded lot in the country and this year the first signs of the Emerald Ash Borer are showing. Fortunately, this is several years after when we expected to get hit, unfortunately, my property is about 75% ash trees between 10 and 40 years old which are all doomed. This means that, if I were to cut down one soon-to-be-dead ash tree every day I'd have my work cut out for most of a year.

To make some of the task easier (read: more fun), I decided to splurge a little and bought myself a double-bit axe, something I'd always lusted after. Everything was going well until most of the way through the second tree when the handle snapped clean off at the head.
Spoiler
Show
Now, where did I put that crucible?

I'm sorry that my first real post is a dorky story but anyway, hello everyone!
IGN: Beschaulichkeit
The_Ender_lord

Re: Be careful with that axe, Eugene

Post by The_Ender_lord »

Heres where the Master Troller comes out of a bush and starts laughing.
All you need is bacon and duct tape.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

That handle was precariously thin. Maybe go for a thicker handle. Also, why the fuck would you use a double edged axe? It's impractical, and if it bounces back, it's gonna be quite painful.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
The_Ender_lord

Post by The_Ender_lord »

Sigg'd!
All you need is bacon and duct tape.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Double head axes are lighter than a maul type and have the advantage of being able to flip the axe when one face begins to dull, which lets you work for a longer period of time before stopping to sharpen your tools. It's the same reason I carry more than one chainsaw into the woods. It's possible that you were using too much force in your swing. The idea is to let the axe do the work with a steady, easy swing that you can keep up for hours at a time. More likely, whoever sold you the tool skimped somewhere. A good hickory replacement shouldn't be too expensive but they make fiberglass/plastic tool handles that are quite good these days. If you're going to be doing this a lot, do yourself a favor and invest in something lightweight and durable.

That said, your axe already broken. It's too late for the crucible.
Better is the enemy of Good
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I knew you hated trees Dave.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

I second Dave's opinion on fiberglass axes. I bought one a year ago or so, and although You can't change the blade as you would on a normal wooden axe, they fill in the top with some kind of liquid glass that is very hard. I've always had problems with the blades swinging off from the top, but not with the fiberglass ones.
August West

Post by August West »

Great song! And fitting title.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I've snapped a few wooden handles. I've never managed to break a fiberglass or plastic one.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Ribky wrote:I knew you hated trees Dave.
Does the cheetah hate the gazelle when he culls the weak and sickly from the herd in order to ensure his own survival?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

DaveYanakov wrote:
Ribky wrote:I knew you hated trees Dave.
Does the cheetah hate the gazelle when he culls the weak and sickly from the herd in order to ensure his own survival?
No. He just goes *omnomonomnomnom*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

And we're not much different, except that we also take the skin to make leather, the bones for all sorts of shit including weapons to kill more animals with, the tendons and ligaments to bind things together with, the list goes on and on. A full grown deer can make you a nice jacket, a decent knife, and a grappling hook, and more.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Derzuel

Post by Derzuel »

It is interesting how of those who can hear, most do often not listen.

But yeah welcome to the forums. Not much you can do about the axe other than replace the haft, though I must say that from the photo it appears to have a rather thin at the head, which could be why it broke in the first place.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Someone's already made that point!
*chirping crickets*
What, are my jokes that dull?
I'm just axing!
I thought they were the cutting edge!
Broken axes are comedy gold. Or pyrite.
tedium

Post by tedium »

buy some good gloves while you're out getting a replacement handle. you got a lot of work in front of you, and blisters suck!
FlowerChild makes heroes of us all, and gives us battle axes where we had swords weak as zombie paws.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

tedium wrote:buy some good gloves while you're out getting a replacement handle. you got a lot of work in front of you, and blisters suck!
Or you could have hands like leather. Just sayin'
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

Dave, I had to sig that :D
What exactly IS your job? Your experiences never fail to intrigue me.
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
StarsintheSky

Post by StarsintheSky »

DaveYanakov wrote: It's possible that you were using too much force in your swing.
I'll have to look into that. I'm fairly certain it was at least partly due to the axe's construction but I'm also no expert in woodcutting! It boggles my mind to think that, at one point, axes were the only option. But I sure do enjoy watching a master use only axes to hew logs into beams.

That and, IRL, pickaxes get heavy pretty quickly. I like living in the country.
IGN: Beschaulichkeit
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

AngelWithDirtyHands wrote:Dave, I had to sig that :D
What exactly IS your job? Your experiences never fail to intrigue me.
I have held many a job, both as actual employment and for the family. Most of my forestry experience falls into the family category.