Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DxPanxD

Re: Morvelaira's News Compilation

Post by DxPanxD »

Rianaru wrote:Well I sure feel stupid now...
Well an enderman barely 2 shots on hard, and armed zombies haven't been implemented in an official release yet (wouldn't have known about their damage had I not been reading the wiki recently). No reason to feel stupid.

Anyway the wither effect may prove more difficult to deal with than simple increased damage though. Even now cave spider poison can still be challenging, but their physical damage is low, so they're less of a threat. High damage with a super debuff that ignores armor could very well make Wither skele's a dangerous mob to melee, even late game.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I like the mechanics of summoning the wither, its not game breaking, and it make you think about where your gonna summon that sucker. :3
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Panda wrote:I like the mechanics of summoning the wither, its not game breaking, and it make you think about where your gonna summon that sucker. :3
Yeah, that's definitely a big +1 for me.

It reminds me of Terraria where you'd often build "arenas" to fight specific mobs in. Hopefully the mechanics of the boss lend itself to this though, and they're taking it into account in the mob's design, and considering how to prevent insta-kill arena designs.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

FlowerChild wrote:Ok, this new pre-release has me *strongly* suspecting that someone with a fairly keen eye for design is either working at Mojang or has their ear, and is following BTW rather closely.

The tying paintings into the player's in-game activities thing just a few weeks after I did the same is just a little too coincidental to be purely coincidence, especially given how long the vanilla paintings have remained unchanged and largely ignored. There are other elements of this pre-release that also tie-in to what I've been working on, that I won't get into for spoiler reasons.

Not that I mind, as it makes the mod fitting the feel of vanilla that much easier when the game creators are working in that direction too ;)
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Calo290

Post by Calo290 »

FlowerChild wrote:Ok, this new pre-release has me *strongly* suspecting that someone with a fairly keen eye for design is either working at Mojang or has their ear, and is following BTW rather closely.

The tying paintings into the player's in-game activities thing just a few weeks after I did the same is just a little too coincidental to be purely coincidence, especially given how long the vanilla paintings have remained unchanged and largely ignored. There are other elements of this pre-release that also tie-in to what I've been working on, that I won't get into for spoiler reasons.

Not that I mind, as it makes the mod fitting the feel of vanilla that much easier when the game creators are working in that direction too ;)
I would totally believe this. Am I the only one that remembers Jeb replying in his Reddit AMA from a while back that, when asked what his favorite mods were, he listed Better Than Wolves as one of them?
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Calo290 wrote: I would totally believe this. Am I the only one that remembers Jeb replying in his Reddit AMA from a while back that, when asked what his favorite mods were, he listed Better Than Wolves as one of them?
He also listed redpower if I recall correctly, I think he just named the most popular mods
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Calo290 wrote:

I would totally believe this. Am I the only one that remembers Jeb replying in his Reddit AMA from a while back that, when asked what his favorite mods were, he listed Better Than Wolves as one of them?

One must remember this mod is one of the best balanced mod outhere, majority of the mods makes the game simply too easy.
I think that Jeb have some ideas he like to implement that makes the game more challenging, but there is a couple of kids outthere that don't want it, and he does things more them who complain loudest.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20-PbpuSVik
New Wither boss seems to have interesting automation possibilities.
Also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppUQAaL9EuI discusses spawning rules and drop rate of new wither skeletons.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Hmmm. The wither mob may be the missing link in converting the output of a block dispenser to an item.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Hmmm. The wither mob may be the missing link in converting the output of a block dispenser to an item.
With the risk of it escaping and breaking everything, I love it.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

I'm a bit worried about MC's future.
I mean, the previous snapshots brought many new features, some of them being cool (though I personally dislike the beacon block), but yeah, they should focus on fixing issues of previous versions (regarding 1.3.x, this awful "lag" due to the internal server needs a fix). I don't know if that's possible but there are so much things they should work on, such as HD textures support, more IDs, stuff like that! And the API, too. Not to say that bringing new features *could* bring new bugs too.
So, yeah, cool features but there's better to do in my view.

By the way, I never payed attention to this thread before, but it's awesome! Thank you Morvelaira for bringing us fresh news!
kjbrona

Post by kjbrona »

Looks like more food from Mojang:
Jens Bergensten ‏@jeb_
After this I think only mutton and calamari are missing: http://i.imgur.com/6jd6q.png
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

kjbrona wrote:Looks like more food from Mojang:
Jens Bergensten ‏@jeb_
After this I think only mutton and calamari are missing: http://i.imgur.com/6jd6q.png
Is that cheese? If it is, at least it's a food that requires crafting of some sort... and I do enjoy cheese... though I'm still in the "more food isn't necessary, spend your time on something else please, Mojang" club.

EDIT: Oh... pumpkin pie... that is not nearly as cool as cheese.
Last edited by Ribky on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Devdisigdu

Post by Devdisigdu »

Ribky wrote:Is that cheese? If it is, at least it's a food that requires crafting of some sort... and I do enjoy cheese... though I'm still in the "more food isn't necessary, spend your time on something else please, Mojang" club.
If these tweets are indication, it isn't cheese, but pumpkin pie...
Brail ‏@Brail4
@jeb_ Pumpkin pie? Will it work like cakes?
Jens Bergensten ‏@jeb_
@Brail4 Correct! No, it will be like a normal food item
I get the feeling that pretty soon, just about anything that could be a possible food source will be.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

To be fair, asides from golems, headwear and lanturns, farming pumpkins has no purpose.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Foxy Boxes wrote:To be fair, asides from golems, headwear and lanturns, farming pumpkins has no purpose.
Seeds can feed chickens, although it can't be automated yet.
kjbrona

Post by kjbrona »

Interesting Tweets from Dinnerbone:
Nathan Adams ‏@Dinnerbone
I've heard a lot of complaints that mobs won't jump down to get to you lately. Well, consider that fixed; They're quite fearless now!
Nathan Adams ‏@Dinnerbone
They'll assess the risk before they do it, no suicide jumps. But they won't be afraid to fall 13 blocks if it only takes 50% health either.
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

"Nathan Adams
I've heard a lot of complaints that mobs won't jump down to get to you lately. Well, consider that fixed; They're quite fearless now!"

"They'll assess the risk before they do it, no suicide jumps. But they won't be afraid to fall 13 blocks if it only takes 50% health either."

I think this heralds the return of creeper air raids while caving. I won't exactly say I've missed it, but caving (especially near a ravine) should be a bit more interesting now.

Edit: Damn you ninja D:
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
dr_spindizzy

Post by dr_spindizzy »

I think we all knew this anyway, but Jeb confirms that the mod API isn't in 1.4
Thelucap97: @jeb_ in 1.4 there is the official mod support?
Jeb: @Thelucap97 No
Thelucap97: @jeb_ but there will be in another version of minecraft?
Jeb: @Thelucap97 Yes, eventually
https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/246177156193980416
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Dinnerbone:
While talking with @jeb_ about some stuff he's doing, I realized the perfect mob to add for halloween; it'd be our second ranged one too!

Dinnerbone:
Uhh. Second overworld ranged mob!
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
M!C

Post by M!C »

Itamarcu wrote:Dinnerbone:
While talking with @jeb_ about some stuff he's doing, I realized the perfect mob to add for halloween; it'd be our second ranged one too!

Dinnerbone:
Well, I hope that mob won't have the same heat-seeking projectiles skeletons seem to use sometimes. ;)
Their accuracy feels a little artificial imo. Not that I dislike the challenge of dodging those arrows, but combined with their knockback it gets rather irritating at times.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

M!C wrote:
Itamarcu wrote:Dinnerbone:

Dinnerbone:
Well, I hope that mob won't have the same heat-seeking projectiles skeletons seem to use sometimes. ;)
Their accuracy feels a little artificial imo. Not that I dislike the challenge of dodging those arrows, but combined with their knockback it gets rather irritating at times.
I'm with you, I'd rather if they upped the dmg. Thoose 180°-boom-headshot turns are annoying as well.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

From the Patch notes of today's snapshot:
Time of the redstone signal of the wooden/stone button extended.
Messing with redstone timing. Never fun stuff for Mojang. I don't know what it's been increased to, nor what effect that has overall.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Last_Jedi_Standing

Post by Last_Jedi_Standing »

Well, bugger. That's annoying. I don't generally use buttons in my worlds for anything except starting redstone clocks and things, because it gives an exactly even pulse every time. Depending on how much they've extended it, that could make that much less convenient.
DO-RO'IK VONG PRATTE!
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

My bet is that they extended it long enough to open iron doors and let you walk through more easily. I can think of 2 builds this should break already ;~;