New Release! (BTW Version 2.66)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: New Release! (BTW Version 2.66)

Post by FlowerChild »

Whisp wrote: So are you still considering adding the functionality yourself or what are the impacts on BTW, if I overwrite it with the piston patch version?
I believe the only problem you'd have is that the pistons won't react appropriately with the Detector Block (or more specifically, the empty space in front of it) if you do this.
FurkeyRefills wrote:Hey flower great mod, but what damage do you thin 1.8 will do to btw if the "small" piston update caused this amount of problems ?
Its being reported as the biggest update we've seen so it will effect the mod greatly right ?
As Urian said, we can only cross the bridge when we get to it. We have no idea what impact 1.8 will have on the code base.

Frankly though, I'm more concerned with the impact it will have on the design of the mod rather than the coding. As Urian also mentioned, pistons created a very specific exception case in the way the game deals with blocks, and from the sounds of it, the adventure update won't contain anything along those lines.

--------------------

Just wanted to say thanks to all the people saying thanks :)

After taking a peek at the chaos on the MC forum thread for the mod, it's like a breath of fresh air to come in here.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Hmm, rail and redstone on platforms sounds awesome.

I haven't built an elevator yet as I was waiting for the lenses to simplify the circuitry. The other reason is I have eight or nine floors as my vertical mineshaft (from clifftop) also houses hemp farm, ground level door, passage to two surprisingly close dungeons, dung farm, and two levels of mining tunnels.

I had a thought though, can you use levers on platforms, or do they fall off or not provide power?
If they work, the entire redstone circuitry for elevators could be entirely replaced with two shafts of lenses, and two levers attached to the actual elevator that power BD's as they pass them on each floor that pop out light blocks to send a light beam up to the pulley/gearbox. One lever controls direction, the other engages the brake, very little other wiring required, might need a flipflop to store the direction.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

So does redstone on platforms inlcude repeaters and torches?
Grateful42

Post by Grateful42 »

KriiEiter wrote:So does redstone on platforms inlcude repeaters and torches?
I doubt that, Its most likely just the dust.
Brainspackle

Post by Brainspackle »

Hmm, rail and redstone on platforms sounds awesome.

I haven't built an elevator yet as I was waiting for the lenses to simplify the circuitry. The other reason is I have eight or nine floors as my vertical mineshaft (from clifftop) also houses hemp farm, ground level door, passage to two surprisingly close dungeons, dung farm, and two levels of mining tunnels.

I had a thought though, can you use levers on platforms, or do they fall off or not provide power?
If they work, the entire redstone circuitry for elevators could be entirely replaced with two shafts of lenses, and two levers attached to the actual elevator that power BD's as they pass them on each floor that pop out light blocks to send a light beam up to the pulley/gearbox. One lever controls direction, the other engages the brake, very little other wiring required, might need a flipflop to store the direction.
What are these "lenses" you speak of?
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Announced as upcoming by FlowerChild a few days ago viewtopic.php?p=1046#p1046
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

gftweek wrote:Hmm, rail and redstone on platforms sounds awesome.

Ooof. You might be waiting awhile man. I've decided the Lenses are much more appropriate to the next full tech-level, so it may be a LONG time before you get your hands on them since I've got a LOT of work to do on the mod before then.
gftweek wrote:I had a thought though, can you use levers on platforms, or do they fall off or not provide power?
As I mention in the description for the Platforms, all devices in transit on the platforms are non-functional while they are moving. It would be a literal coding nightmare otherwise.

So no, levers can't be lifted, and even if they could, they wouldn't do you much good. The lifting of redstone wire is only there to help with connecting circuits up at the destination (like for sending a signal to a powered rail to cause a minecart to exit the platform when it arrives). I was reluctant to allow the lifting of wire at all given that I knew people would assume you could power it in transit, but in the end I decided the ability to complete circuits with it at the destination was so useful that I wasn't going to leave it out simply due to that potential confusion.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Ah, thanks for the clarification, I'll work on a redstone only version then, I think I've found a simple enough way to do this elegantly with redstone that doesn't require a separate mountain beside the one I've got the shaft in to house the circuitry.

Guess my wolves will have to wait for their multi-storey hotel with push-button elevator then, and stay in their small dark room collecting dung for me. Ah well, their loss.
Brainspackle

Post by Brainspackle »

gftweek wrote:Announced as upcoming by FlowerChild a few days ago viewtopic.php?p=1046#p1046
Thanks, I missed that thread. What an incredibly awesome idea, I can't wait for that to come to fruition.

I wish FC worked for Mojang :D
PureZaros

Post by PureZaros »

FlowerChild wrote:
xenoneo wrote:=o
I did not expect an update.
Super happy! <3

Thanks ^^
Nobody expects the Spanish....errr...

Crazed Modder!!!! :)
Ah-HAH!
Monty Python reference!
*sunglasses*

On topic, thanks for all these updates! Also, thanks for dealing with the people asking for a new version (I wasn't one of them, patience is a virtue.).
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Edit: Thanks for the sticky good sir. <3
I really wish more women said things like this.
empath

Post by empath »

Redstone on platforms seems like it would lead to interesting computation possibilities, you could flip a switch to completely change logic.

Or use it for memory addressing (each platform would be a different ROM bank.)

Can you stack platforms?
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

empath wrote:Can you stack platforms?
You can build them with one connecting piece in the middle and sort of make shelves. They can be 5x5, so 3 banks 5 across.
Urian

Post by Urian »

FlowerChild wrote:
gftweek wrote:Hmm, rail and redstone on platforms sounds awesome.
Ooof. You might be waiting awhile man. I've decided the Lenses are much more appropriate to the next full tech-level, so it may be a LONG time before you get your hands on them since I've got a LOT of work to do on the mod before then.
Aww, that's a shame. There is no way Steve will make a technological leap of intuition and get access to this tasty little piece of technology soon and then later when his technological understanding catches up, the recipe will change to reflect that? :p It's a tool that will make e.g. elevator designs so much easier (I believe) as well as open up new designs for farms and most circuitry.

Quick, someone give Steve a monolith!
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote: Aww, that's a shame. There is no way Steve will make a technological leap of intuition and get access to this tasty little piece of technology soon and then later when his technological understanding catches up, the recipe will change to reflect that? :p It's a tool that will make e.g. elevator designs so much easier (I believe) as well as open up new designs for farms and most circuitry.

Quick, someone give Steve a monolith!
Hehe...yeah, I realize man, which is why I was tempted to do it a bit early, but I've just got much bigger fish to fry at the moment and don't want to spend a few days working on the Lens just now when it fits into the mod much better later on anyways.

Today was just a bit of an exception where I just wanted to implement a fun new feature, that was quick to do, before heading back into the big stuff ;)
Urian

Post by Urian »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...yeah, I realize man, which is why I was tempted to do it a bit early, but I've just got much bigger fish to fry at the moment and don't want to spend a few days working on the Lens just now when it fits into the mod much better later on anyways.

Today was just a bit of an exception where I just wanted to implement a fun new feature, that was quick to do, before heading back into the big stuff ;)
Heh, no worries :) I remember you mentioning (a few days before the yogaboo invasion in the old thread) that you hade one more feature planned for the age of wood before Steve would advance. Was that the turntable?
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Yep that was it ;)
jeangood12

Post by jeangood12 »

Darn, the file is locked now :( Any possibilities you can unlock it or send me the file
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

...And I thought FlowerChild decided to get creative with the version numbers.

Please don't necro, jeangood12. And older BTW releases are usually unavailable for download.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
jeangood12

Post by jeangood12 »

K im new to the forums, srry, but its a a shame its locked. Oh well ill upgrade minecraft. BTW is the only mod worth it.
Xekrom337

Post by Xekrom337 »

Itamarcu wrote:-snip-
Please don't necro, jeangood12. And older BTW releases are usually unavailable for download.
I remember FC saying somewhere he kept the last BTW version for each MC version avaliable. Or something like that.

Also, trippy version numbers, whats going on? @_@
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

For fuck sake man, massive necro then come back three days later for a 2nd pass?

Sigh.