Like the Painterly Pack? Come in here!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
agentwiggles

Like the Painterly Pack? Come in here!

Post by agentwiggles »

A few months ago, I began playing BTW. After the resulting re-addiction to MC, I downloaded my standby texture pack, which has been Painterly since MC alpha. I'm a big fan of the pack - I think it's one of the best in terms of capturing the original feel of Minecraft but still makes everything significantly nicer to look at.

Anyway, after researching, I was sad to find out that the Painterly supplement for btw had been discontinued. I shrugged and just kept the original texture sheet, and played that way for a long time. After a few months, I decided that I'd take matters into my own hands and begin my own texture sheet.

This is far from done, but I think I have some pretty decent looking textures here. I've got the BD, DB, Millstone, saw, hibachi, and one or two other blocks finished, and I plan to continue work on the pack. At this juncture, though, I can only do this if its for personal use (i.e. please do not ask me for it.) The reason for this is that rhodox's policy requires permission from him to use his textures. As I'm nowhere near skilled enough to freehand textures in his style, I rely on a pack he provides on his site containing all textures, making minor modifications and cut/pasting where necessary to approximate a Painterly-style take on BTW.

I've emailed rhodox asking for permission to distribute the pack in anticipation that the community might want in on the action - and if I got said permission I would also be looking for a person or two to help me with the conversion, as BTW has quite a lot of texturing! I posted this mainly to gauge the interest of the community - basically, if you'd download it, post here and tell me, and I'll probably be more motivated to keep working on the pack on on getting permission to give it out.

Thoughts? Questions?

EDIT:
Thought I'd give a picture so people could see how its turning out (and constructive criticism will be accepted, this is my first time working with something like this). I am hoping that this does not violate Rhodox's policy on distribution (I'm not giving away a texture sheet!). If any moderator, etc, deems it to be a problem I'd be more than happy to remove it.
Spoiler
Show
bmanfoley

Re: Like the Painterly Pack? Come in here!

Post by bmanfoley »

Great job! You might want to post this to the addons and texture packs subforum if you intend to keep at it
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just FYI, if I remember correctly I think the author of Painterly has a bone to pick with BTW for some reason, so you may encounter some resistance there.

And BTW: Why do most texture pack artists miss the mouth on the DB? That's one of my favorite visual aspects of that block :)
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

bmanfoley wrote:Great job! You might want to post this to the addons and texture packs subforum if you intend to keep at it
Yeah, I thought about it, but decided that for now, since the state of things is up in the air, I'd just post this here, as kind of a preview.
FlowerChild wrote:Just FYI, if I remember correctly I think the author of Painterly has a bone to pick with BTW for some reason, so you may encounter some resistance there.

And BTW: Why do most texture pack artists miss the mouth on the DB? That's one of my favorite visual aspects of that block :)
See, that's what I thought I'd read in the old Painterly thread too, though there weren't details on why. He hasn't responded to my email so I might send out a couple more, but that is my main concern with rhodox (what a texture artist has against a modder is beyond me).

As for the mouth - never noticed it until you pointed it out. I do like it though now that I've realized its there, i'll have to update that one.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

agentwiggles wrote: See, that's what I thought I'd read in the old Painterly thread too, though there weren't details on why. He hasn't responded to my email so I might send out a couple more, but that is my main concern with rhodox (what a texture artist has against a modder is beyond me).
I think it dates back to the yogaboo era.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

The fact that yogaboo is a word is probably the most disturbing thing about that. I'll have to keep emailing rhodox.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I don't think pestering someone with multiple emails is ever an effective strategy for eliciting their cooperation.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

^

But yeah, I wish you well, I love painterly dearly.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

I emailed him like year or so ago about whether he's interested in supporting BTW and his response was along lines that he doesn't want anything to do with a internet tough guy who get his kicks of mocking kids on the internet (or something like that, as I said it was a year ago and I seem to have deleted the email).
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Ah, that is most unfortunate. Perhaps telling him it's the other way around could help? That he's merely helping the people who love his pack dearly and perhaps even himself?

Cause I've been thinking 'bout making a painterly mix for myself, it's no biggie, but still, poop.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

FlowerChild wrote:I don't think pestering someone with multiple emails is ever an effective strategy for eliciting their cooperation.
Yeah, I agree, and I definitely didn't mean I was going to bombard him, just that I wasn't going to give up immediately when he didn't reply to the first one.
Ferrus.Manus wrote:I emailed him like year or so ago about whether he's interested in supporting BTW and his response was along lines that he doesn't want anything to do with a internet tough guy who get his kicks of mocking kids on the internet (or something like that, as I said it was a year ago and I seem to have deleted the email).
Edit:

I've gotten a response from him - he asked to see some of the textures before he decided and mentioned the previous drama - basically he doesn't want to deal with BTW if that shit's going to continue to be a problem. I emailed him back, linked the textures, and was as reassuring as possible that there wouldn't be any drama (at least from me!) so hopefully he'll give permission.

Think I'm going to go work on some more textures, the addon's nowhere near ready for any kind of release to the public!
Dextralus

Post by Dextralus »

If Rhodox gives you his ok I can send you what I have left over from a few months ago. Whether or not that would be of any help I can't say, and yours seem much better than mine in any case. I haven't had a lot of time to update it in the last three months but it may take a small load off you. Plus I think there's something like a dozen assorted bloodwood textures that I never got around to releasing.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

agentwiggles wrote:I've gotten a response from him - he asked to see some of the textures before he decided and mentioned the previous drama - basically he doesn't want to deal with BTW if that shit's going to continue to be a problem. I emailed him back, linked the textures, and was as reassuring as possible that there wouldn't be any drama (at least from me!) so hopefully he'll give permission.
What previous drama or "shit" are you referring to? His attitude or whatever it was that he decided to get his panties in a bunch about to begin with?

I've never had any interaction with the guy whatsoever, and if he's going to continue to be a whiny cunt, I don't particularly care for Painterly support for BTW either.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

FlowerChild wrote:What previous drama or "shit" are you referring to? His attitude or whatever it was that he decided to get his panties in a bunch about to begin with?
He might be a fan of the Yogcast.
Dextralus

Post by Dextralus »

Haven't the foggiest on what drama specifically rhodox feels he might've been involved in aside from that surrounding his buddy kakermix and their cohorts, but his website did have (still does?) a splash taunt reading "Better than Better than Wolves".
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Let's not speculate on this guys. Continuing to comment just continues to stir stuff up, and if the man isn't here to speak for himself, that's just asking for trouble.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Nazara

Post by Nazara »

He is a goon heavily involved in the MC community, so that is likely the reason.

Fun Fact: Totalbiscuit is a goon, too, along with Matt Higby the creative director of Planetside 2. Wasn't aware of that until recently.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ah, well if he's a goon and/or close with kanker (which totally fits this situation, so I believe it), please feel free to pass along that he can kindly go fuck himself.

Thread locked, as will any others that pop up with regards to BTW supporting Painterly. I don't want to help promote his texture pack with BTW support.