1.3 dilemmas

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
bmanfoley

1.3 dilemmas

Post by bmanfoley »

So after updating to 1.3 with the latest version of BTW, I went to check on all my factories to see if anything broke. Sure, a few piston timing issues here and there, but those were easily fixable.

But then I went to check on my mob-related farms.

Everything's broken. Every single farm involving entities is completely defunct. Chickens no longer stay in their holding areas, cows no longer reliably fall at a constant rate, villagers glitch out of their breeding facilities... it's all broken. The reason I post this to off-topic is because this is a vanilla lag issue due to the server structure.

So I'm just looking for some thoughts. Is this happening to anyone else? Should I try to fix all my farms and adapt to the new mob behavior? Should I wait to see if Mojang is planning on correcting some of these issues?
Kazuya Mishima

Re: 1.3 dilemmas

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

How big are your containment areas? I have about 4 to 3 chickens in a 1x1x1 pens(as small as you can go) standing on hoppers. I intend to reduce that to 1 per pen but only for performance reasons related to entities having collision issues.

What i see is that my chickens phase through the hopper and fall into the water below and then get washed down teh egg collection channel. Then suddenly they warp back into their pen and the process repeats over adn over. I guess we are all playing multiplayer now and this represents your client communicating with teh server improperly or the failure of 1 of the two to recognize the hopper as a solid object.

Whatever the case they warp back into the pens constantly. It looks terrible and gives you the worst visual feedback as to where something is but i don't think it's actually effecting my chicken systems. as the chickens are not migrating outside of water channels.
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

I'm dealing with the "chickens over hoppers" thing as well. Any and all chickens phase downwards through the hopper and occupy the block that the hopper is. The thing for me is that they never teleport back up, they really are in that block
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

They only warp when they get a certain distance from where the server knows they are. So, with the water channels, that's happening, but if they just fall to the block below, it won't.

I bet if you quit and reload you'll see the chicken on top of the Hopper again.
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

FlowerChild wrote:They only warp when they get a certain distance from where the server knows they are. So, with the water channels, that's happening, but if they just fall to the block below, it won't.

I bet if you quit and reload you'll see the chicken on top of the Hopper again.

Relogging is what causes them to fall through in the first place =/

EDIT: Ok, so I've fixed the chicken farm using a water stream and siding to hold them in place. Unfortunately, this creates a decent frame rate drop due to all the particles from the chickens in water, but for now it works.

The cow farm is iffy, but I think it will still perform its desired function. All that's left to fix is the villager farm
Last edited by bmanfoley on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

bmanfoley wrote: Relogging is what causes them to fall through in the first place =/
That's what I am saying: they're not actually falling through. They just look that way on the client.
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

FlowerChild wrote: That's what I am saying: they're not actually falling through. They just look that way on the client.

Based on some testing I did, they really were inside the hopper.

-The eggs they laid landed on the block below the hopper, not in it.
-I was able to place a block on top of the hopper. If the chickens were in that block, I either wouldn't be able to place the block, or the chickens would start suffocating.
-I was able to look at the hopper from the side, swing my battleaxe, and kill chickens. If I'm not mistaken, when mobs visually glitch to other blocks, they can't be interacted with in the glitchy location
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I'd be interested in hearing if this happens with other vanilla blocks that don't occupy a full bounding volume. Like slabs or something.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Those are not chickens.. They are the juvenile stage of endermen. Don't look directly at them.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

i found this thread rather amusing....until i checked my chicken farm xD its kinda funny how they slowly seep out and slid slowly across the floor, only to zip back and repeat the process a few seconds later :p

and dude, everybody knows that chickens are spies!

EDIT: wow so i just checked my wolves pen and found them all sunk into the floor xD (my floor is hoppers for poop collection)
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, fuck this. I'm going base-class mod medieval on these mother fuckers :)
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

i dont really know what that means but it sounds kinda sexy :p and also like you know exactly how to solve it :p
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

FC, if this is really a BTW issue, should I post a thread in the bug reports forum about it? I know you're already aware, but I've noticed you like to post any and all bugs to that forum just for clarification
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

It's already resolved, and it wasn't a BTW-specific issue (it's the same thing that causes you to fall through repeaters when walking on them sometimes). Don't bother posting anything to bug reports.

As an added bonus, it also takes care of past problems with people occasionally falling through Cauldrons & Crucibles while walking over them.

It required a rather nasty base-class change, but fuck it.
DIG_down

Post by DIG_down »

FlowerChild wrote:it also takes care of past problems with people occasionally falling through Cauldrons & Crucibles while walking over them.
I always thought this was intentional, it makes sense given that walking over an open object would allow you to fall into it, as well as forcing the player to look both ways before crossing to street, so to speak.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining about this being removed, just surprised it wasn't intentional.

EDIT: This change is only to hoppers right? It won't affect falling through repeaters or anything else?
FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Not to mention he posted an idea in the stop posting ideas thread right after he came back from a ban for posting ideas....
+1
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DIG_down wrote:EDIT: This change is only to hoppers right? It won't affect falling through repeaters or anything else?
Nope. The technical explanation is that I'm expanding the bounding volume on items and XP orbs when detecting for collisions vs blocks.

Previously, I had to shrink the bounding boxes on Hoppers and the other mod blocks, so that these objects would register a collision with them and properly notify the blocks in question.

As a result, they were slightly smaller than full block size, which MC has a terrible time with for some reason. It seems that blocks are only reliable to walk on if they are either full or half-block height. Anything else results in glitches.

This is why you get it with repeaters as well, but I'm not fixing that part. Instead, I'm expanding the bounding box for Hoppers and such to be a full block, and modifying items and XP so that they send the appropriate messages for collision regardless.
DIG_down

Post by DIG_down »

FlowerChild wrote:modifying items and XP so that they send the appropriate messages for collision regardless.
This seems like it would be a fairly large modification to some very vital stuff. Hopefully Mojang can get it's shit together in the next release and fix the terrible lag many players, including myself, are experiencing.

In what little time I was able to play 3.1.1 it seemed pretty stable and I even managed a small boost in fps, but switching over to 3.1.2 killed that and then some. I realize the semi-client/server merge is a huge change but they've had weeks to work out these exact types of things and the best thing they've done is fix the nether bug.

They may as well have just slapped a bandaid on the whole thing and said "it runs, good enough. Now on to dying leather."

But hey, i'm a fairly patient guy and hopefully by the time I get up to automating things i'll be able to play without stuttering all over the place.

Oh and thanks for fixing this hopper issue FC. BTW just wouldn't be the same without working hoppers.
FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Not to mention he posted an idea in the stop posting ideas thread right after he came back from a ban for posting ideas....
+1