The ongoing 1.3 update epic

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Biohazard91X

Re: The ongoing 1.3 update epic

Post by Biohazard91X »

I hope you backed up your world beforehand ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Biohazard91X wrote:I hope you backed up your world beforehand ;)
I've got about 20 backups that I've performed during this update ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh yeah! And I need to stop and visit the Groth on the way to make sure it's doing ok :)
Panda

Post by Panda »

How big is your growth Flower? :O
Never say no to Panda.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

As big as... nope.
Too easy.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just noticed something interesting with 1.3: downward facing slabs (the regular ones), no longer block light.

This may be significant for people that have old mob-traps capped by slabs. On return to my base I was alarmed to notice light shining down into the kill-chamber for my main mob-trap through the central shaft.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Do make sure to test whether wolves won't randomly teleport to you despite sitting. Just played a bit of 1.3.1 and one of those bastards was the death of me. Popped in right next to me while I was boating in a tunnel, knocked me away somehow and before I knew it I hit the ground too hard (despite moving horizontally). I was less than amused...

I keep forgetting just how much BtW does for the game. Cheers for making parts of it bearable :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, it's already in and working. Don't need reminders on what to test as that would be an exceedingly long list.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

How do hoppers work in relation to Ender chests? I seem to remember you didn't want them to be able to output to them.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The great randomo wrote:How do hoppers work in relation to Ender chests? I seem to remember you didn't want them to be able to output to them.
Guys, this isn't a Q&A thread on the release I'm working on. You'll see when you get it.
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

I disappeared for a few days for a wedding, and when I returned the thread had increased by 10+ pages :p just spent the last hour (I think) catching up on the news! Very impressed, and can't wait to start a new world ^_^ I know you can, but I don't particularly want to start a vMC world without the BTW awesomeness :p

Thank you, and expect some contribution to your spirit levels once I've untangled the after-party mess caused by a phone company, the student loans company and my uni >_<
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

FlowerChild wrote:Just noticed something interesting with 1.3: downward facing slabs (the regular ones), no longer block light.

This may be significant for people that have old mob-traps capped by slabs. On return to my base I was alarmed to notice light shining down into the kill-chamber for my main mob-trap through the central shaft.
Interesting, thanks for mentioned it! I'll have to go check on my mob traps. I haven't checked but I'll bet the changes will also impact using slabs and stairs as light free windows into dark room traps and wolf dung pens. It's probably related to the hitbox changes mojang made to allow the use of gaps in stairs and slabs as windows for shooting arrows and stuff.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hmmm...it looks like double-slabs don't block light either. So much for that easy solution to my mob-trap woes :)

EDIT: Actually, no...there's something messed up happening here. Slabs don't seem to block light at the old world-height level (128), but DO at lower levels. wtf?

Will put this one on the back-burner for now and take a look at it again sometime post-release. Looks like a Mojang bug.

EDIT 2: Oh boy, it's even more convoluted. It appears old slabs don't block light. Newly placed ones do. On top of that, mobs still appear to spawn in lit locations covered with the old slabs, so the area appears to be lit, but obviously some part of the code doesn't think it is.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:Hmmm...it looks like double-slabs don't block light either. So much for that easy solution to my mob-trap woes :)

EDIT: Actually, no...there's something messed up happening here. Slabs don't seem to block light at the old world-height level (128), but DO at lower levels. wtf?

Will put this one on the back-burner for now and take a look at it again sometime post-release. Looks like a Mojang bug.

EDIT 2: Oh boy, it's even more convoluted. It appears old slabs don't block light. Newly placed ones do. On top of that, mobs still appear to spawn in lit locations covered with the old slabs, so the area appears to be lit, but obviously some part of the code doesn't think it is.

What fun! Good times... ;)
Psion

Post by Psion »

Yeah, that weird lighting bug and others related to it have been around since 1.2.5 on multiplayer. I noticed those issues when building my own mob trap, though for me it was full blocks used over the old world height i think. (it's been a while.) Was building a piston and pressure plate style mob trap, and when i covered the top with regular blocks, some places would be lit up during the day despite being completely covered on all sides...yet mobs would spawn.

Was very annoying. :(
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Graphite wrote:Do make sure to test whether wolves won't randomly teleport to you despite sitting. Just played a bit of 1.3.1 and one of those bastards was the death of me. Popped in right next to me while I was boating in a tunnel, knocked me away somehow and before I knew it I hit the ground too hard (despite moving horizontally). I was less than amused...

I keep forgetting just how much BtW does for the game. Cheers for making parts of it bearable :D
OH. MY. STARS.
Better than wolves FIXES that!?!? I have complained almost every, recent, vanilla let's play episode about that flipping glitch, and I thought it just broke with 1.2.5! AAAAAAAARRRRGGGGH!

*muttering to self about the consequences of playing without BTW for even a moment* There, there....kill the little wolves and eat them....
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Booyah :)

This is back at my main base mind you, but still:
Spoiler
Show
...and that brings me to the end of the tech-tree in terms of updating everything.

Now, to tie up some remaining loose ends and set into testing absolutely everything in my main base. Still quite a ways to go mind you, but the end is definitely in sight.
MrLemon

Post by MrLemon »

Congrats! :)

I'm glad this mod is in the hands of such a capable developer.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

*OMG, pictures on walls....does the orders mean anything? hes so sneaky, are they even hints? maybe he was just decorating...OMG he did the moulds, corner thing with stone bricks! no wait, those are stone slabs you fool. OMG i think i see something in the hallway across the room! no wait, its just a bit of wood...*

all this happened in a matter of moments. this is what your secretive hint-ology has done to my brain! xD

and nice to see that the souls of the damned are already being infused in 1.3 :D
Force21

Post by Force21 »

odranoel wrote:this is what your secretive hint-ology has done to my brain! xD
I strongly suggest you equip your mandatory tin-foil hat, before you build up any stress induced tumors in your brain.

lol, jk about the tumor but... *tinfoilhat* GO FC!!!
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

And if you want to look deeper, without losing sanity, try Horizon's Amber Lenses! It lets you tap into the lattice of magic, AND see eldritch horrors beyond reason WITHOUT losing your sanity!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Enough off-topic guys.
Alphafox99

Post by Alphafox99 »

Thank you for all your hard work FlowerChild, It's very appreicated.

And.... If my assumptions are right... You have us addicted to the mod, the same way a heroin addict is to ... Heroin...?

I've come to realize that I just.... Don't enjoy vanilla. This mod. Is Vanilla anymore :P

TL:DR

Battosay wrote:*nerd boner*
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Alphafox99 wrote:Thank you for all your hard work FlowerChild, It's very appreicated.

And.... If my assumptions are right... You have us addicted to the mod, the same way a heroin addict is to ... Heroin...?

I've come to realize that I just.... Don't enjoy vanilla. This mod. Is Vanilla anymore :P

TL:DR

*taps arm* I don't know what you're talking about... I can stop anytime I want.

But no, seriously, thanks FC. It has been a joy to watch your update outpost develop. Glad to see you finally made it Home ;)
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ribky wrote:Glad to see you finally made it Home ;)
I returned, and it turns out I was there all along.