Villager farm gone wrong+comp crash=massive lag. Help plz

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
CycloneSP

Villager farm gone wrong+comp crash=massive lag. Help plz

Post by CycloneSP »

Okay, I figured this would be the most appropriate place to ask for help, so here's the story.

I've been having troubles with my villager farm for a while now. The whole infinite spawn glitch and all. But just recently, my comp crashed on me while I was playing the game. I reload, and see half of my villager condo replaced with a newly generated extreme hills chunk. After that every time a villager touched me, I'd be teleported in an odd direction and my fps was slowly dropping. I get out of the game, and open MCedit(I know, I'm a horrible person) I use MCedit to delete all of the villager entities in the four chunks I was using to make my villager farm; I log back in to see that my fps is at 0 and not rising at all. I then head back over to MCedit to do some more looking around. After a fruitless search for the cause, I delete the 4 chunks and regen them as flat land and mark them to be repopulated with trees and ores. I head back into the game and still have no luck. :(

Here is a link to my world save file: http://www.mediafire.com/?2j7yrpo9hxxqk1u

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone would take the time to look at it and help me out. I really don't want to lose this world as well.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
LaserCooled

Re: Villager farm gone wrong+comp crash=massive lag. Help pl

Post by LaserCooled »

Can you see how many entities there are when you load the world?
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

perhabs they spawned under the surface too?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
LaserCooled

Post by LaserCooled »

That's what I'm thinking too. Either that or in the adjoining chunks.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

I can't read the debug window extremely well, but I surmise that is says there are over 10k entities.

And this is after using mc edit to highlight all 4 chunks and deleted all entities in said chunks.

LaserCooled

Post by LaserCooled »

I don't have much experience with MCEdit, but I might recommend loading some of the adjoining chunks and deleting the entities in those. When you load your world you load 17X17 chunks so it could be an issue in any of those.

Another thing that you could try is moving your spawn point. To see if that fixes the frame rate issue. I'm guessing if you move it far enough away from this farm it will.

as for the weird teleporting thing that you were experiencing, that was likely due to collisions with the villagers. I'm guessing with the low frame rate it just looked like a teleport.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Below is a picture of your world taken in MCEdit, I believe you will see quite clearly what your problem is :)
Spoiler
Show
All those red squares are entities of varying kind, and you appear to have about 4x4 chunks affected by this infinite spawning glitch. By deleting the 4 chunks as well as an extra manual delete of all entities remaining in the area fixed your world for me, letting me walk around without lag and stuff. So, your world is salvagable, but your villager farm is not.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Thank you so much for your help guys. I finally managed to diagnose the problem further and saved my world.

I tried ya'lls suggestion by placing steve far away from the infected chunks and the game ran just fine, but as soon as I got back to my base, it blew up on me again. So I went back into MCedit and just started selecting massive amounts of chunks and analyzing them. Come to find out, I still had about 6k villagers remaining after my original purge. But they were in the adjacent chunks rather than the 4 the farm was on.

Also, Thalarctia, thanks for the picture, I must be running an older version of MCedit, cuz I never saw that many red cubes on my screen. But if I analyzed the chunks, I knew they were there. Oh, and one more thing, if you read my OP, you'll know I already deleted all entities in those 4 chunks and the chunks themselves. That was why i was still perplexed to have a problem. Thank you anyway! ^_^

Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

CycloneSP wrote:Also, Thalarctia, thanks for the picture, I must be running an older version of MCedit, cuz I never saw that many red cubes on my screen. But if I analyzed the chunks, I knew they were there. Oh, and one more thing, if you read my OP, you'll know I already deleted all entities in those 4 chunks and the chunks themselves. That was why i was still perplexed to have a problem. Thank you anyway! ^_^
I did read your OP, I was just pointing out that your problem expanded quite a bit beyond just 4 chunks, that there was actually 16 involved.

Glad you got it fixed though, sucks losing a world!
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Ah, kk. Now that I took a closer look at yer pic, I can see the red cubes bleeding out into the other chunks.

Sigh, I may have saved my world... but it seems only temporary. Out of the frying pan, and into the fire. I seem to now be dealing with a memory leak or something of that sort. My fps is steadily dropping in the overworld(works just fine in the nether) and I let the game idle for about 30 min. and come back to find that the game has "run out of memory"

Odd thing is, if I visit the nether, it resets everything and my fps starts ticking down once again. So this means it isn't me missing a villager or 2 since my entities are exponentially increasing. (it's capped around 300 +/- 50) TBH, I don't know what the heck is wrong this time. :(

LaserCooled

Post by LaserCooled »

This is just a guess, but is it possible that you still have some villagers to restart the infinite spawning that caused your issue in the first place? The symptoms you are experiencing sounds like something that would happen from breeding. In fact, I bet you can watch the number of entities in your world slowly creep up while your fps rate drops.

It might be a good idea to temporarily remove all of the doors from the chunks you were having problems in before along with any remaining villagers in those or nearby chunks. It's really annoying I'm sure, but losing your save is a terrible prospect.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but if you are saying that the number of entities is exponentially increasing, then that is what you would expect from the villagers breeding infinitely.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

pardon me while I wipe the egg off my face.

lol, I meant 'the entities are -not- exponentially increasing.' I kept a steady watch of it in the debug window and the entities fluctuated within normal bounds. And if I enter the nether and return or log off and get back on, the fps returns to normal for a short period of time.

EDIT: Okay, multi-mc was kind enough to give me a crash report, and I was hoping somebody could translate for me.
Spoiler
Show
Starting up SoundSystem...
Initializing LWJGL OpenAL
(The LWJGL binding of OpenAL. For more information, see http://www.lwjgl.org)
OpenAL initialized.

Chunk file at -4,21 is in the wrong location; relocating. (Expected -4, 21, got -4, 22)
Wrong location! yd@f1
java.lang.Exception: Stack trace
at java.lang.Thread.dumpStack(Unknown Source)
at ack.a(SourceFile:517)
at aiv.a(SourceFile:266)
at aiv.a(SourceFile:73)
at aiv.a(SourceFile:61)
at ko.e(ko.java:83)
at ko.c(ko.java:51)
at ko.b(ko.java:75)
at xd.d(World.java:663)
at xd.a(World.java:547)
at vf.a(SourceFile:173)
at vf.a(SourceFile:121)
do note that this is just part of the whole thing.

EDIT2: sigh, screw it. I can't seem to figure out what's wrong. I went back in with MCedit and analyzed all the chunks that were even remotely close to my base and I only found 2 villagers. So something else is gumming up the works, and now I can't even play in the world; because every time I log in, it is stuck at 0 fps.

I think it is time I raise the white flag of defeat and move on. :(

LaserCooled

Post by LaserCooled »

Perhaps you have a corrupted chunk at the location the bug report is telling you. Maybe try backing up your save and deleting that chunk with MCedit to see if that clears up your issue.

It would be kind of awful to lose your work. So I really hope this works.
fearofshorts

Post by fearofshorts »

Yeah, I've seen that kind of error message before- somebody else on this forum actually had the same issue.
Definitely one or more corrupted chunks.

You want to get rid of them ASAP. Don't try to repair them, don't try to fix them- something is very wrong with data which is not supposed to change, data which MCEdit doesn't go near. Make a schematic of any stuff in it, back up your world again and remove it.

Maybe other people here could help though, I don't understand too much about the MC save format.