The ongoing 1.3 update epic

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
xou816

Re: The ongoing 1.3 update epic

Post by xou816 »

I don't really like the dirt slabs idea... I can't imagine Steve picking up a bunch of dirt and splitting it (EDIT: splitting it in two solid piles, if that's clearer).
However, yeah... they really look fine!

Once more, good luck on your way updating BTW. Take your time, we can still play with MC 1.2.5! :)
Last edited by xou816 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

xou816 wrote:I don't really like the dirt slabs idea... I can't imagine Steve picking up a bunch of dirt and splitting it.
Ummmm...ok...

I do believe you just won the prize in terms of Rule #1.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

xou816 wrote:I don't really like the dirt slabs idea... I can't imagine Steve picking up a bunch of dirt and splitting it.

Yeah, moving dirt from one place to another is seriously out of Steve's current technological level :)
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
xou816

Post by xou816 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Ummmm...ok...

I do believe you just won the prize in terms of Rule #1.
I think I've been misunderstood (think you saw I don't rock at English). Reading my post once again made me feel like an idiot, you're right :)

What I meant is that, well, you drop some dirt in front of a saw, and you have two "solid" dirt piles. I imagine dirt to fall apart, if you see what I mean.

But anyway, MC is not designed to be realistic.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

xou816 wrote:What I meant is that, well, you drop some dirt in front of a saw, and you have two "solid" dirt piles. I imagine dirt to fall apart, if you see what I mean.
What the Saw has to do with this, I have no idea.

I actually setup the recipe to just be a single dirt block in the crafting grid, as I didn't think it even made sense for it to require a crafting table.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

xou816 wrote: What I meant is that, well, you drop some dirt in front of a saw, and you have two "solid" dirt piles. I imagine dirt to fall apart, if you see what I mean.

I believe you're thinking of what would be dirt panels, these are dirt slabs.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

FlowerChild wrote:
xou816 wrote:What I meant is that, well, you drop some dirt in front of a saw, and you have two "solid" dirt piles. I imagine dirt to fall apart, if you see what I mean.
What the Saw has to do with this, I have no idea.

I actually setup the recipe to just be a single dirt block in the crafting grid, as I didn't think it even made sense for it to require a crafting table.
Whoops, sorry.
Think I need to sleep for a while until I post again.
Let's just say I've never posted. *feeling like a complete idiot*
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

xou816 wrote:Whoops, sorry.
Think I need to sleep for a while until I post again.
Let's just say I've never posted. *feeling like a complete idiot*
Yeah. Let's.

But before we do, I think it worth noting that critiquing features before they are released is rather bad form to begin with.
devak

Post by devak »

I am not an aesthetics master (barely count as an apprentice), but i like the various aesthetic aspects of BTW.

The foremost reason is that BTW is space-intensive and thus, a bit of space is easily "sacrificed" for a pretty (or an attempt at being pretty) look.

Dirt slabs are an excellent idea. They really are a subtle but effective change, and they are a terraformer's best friend.
(I like altering the landscape to fit my needs).

Regardless of what some of the less-informed have said: you made me smile, and you probably made a few thousand fans ecstatic.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

devak wrote:Regardless of what some of the less-informed have said [...]
I think you're referring to me. Well, please take note that I've said that they looked great.
jakerman999 wrote:I believe you're thinking of what would be dirt panels, these are dirt slabs.
Exactly! :)
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

xou, from one screw up to the other, I think it's best you stop talking. At least for a little while. Let's just lurk, and watch the great progress unfold. K? K.

Okay, sorry for that interruption guys. Back to lurking I go, keep up the great work FC.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
bwyw

Post by bwyw »

As long as the 1.3 conversion was just a conversion, I was content to wait it out. Now that there's dirt half blocks I REALLY want it. That would be so frikken useful, the way I build farms and things.
Jeet

Post by Jeet »

FlowerChild, All I have to say is good job. Looking forward to starting up a new BTW series after this is stable.

Jeet
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I just wanted to say that I think it's quite impressive the number of views this thread has managed to acquire.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I just wanted to say that I think it's quite impressive the number of views this thread has managed to acquire.
Well, I've been posting links to it in the BTW MCF thread to help keep informed over there (and keep the pestering down ;) ), so I'm sure there are many people lurking the thread that aren't forum members.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

Sarudak wrote:I just wanted to say that I think it's quite impressive the number of views this thread has managed to acquire.

well im sure its like i said earlier. the activity we see on the forums is but a fraction of those who play the mod. many lurk, and im sure many more probably have no idea these forums exist. iv been playing for over a year now and i just found this place 2 months ago!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

A small but significant update:
Spoiler
Show
We have Anvil! :)

I'm actually very pleased by this (hence the pedestal it's on), as the Anvil was one of the few remaining unknowns for me in this update. It's the only crafting-grid in the mod, plus I was concerned that the recent changes I made to store Moulds wouldn't translate well to the new architecture, but in the end, it turned out to be a breeze.

I even managed to get it done before finishing my morning coffee :)

And yes...aside from that, that's also me abusing the shit out of the new easier placement on Moulding and Corners. Like I said before, it's waaaaaaay too tempting to go on detailing rampages now ;)
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

This is so epic. I can't wait to try out the new slabs and detailing interface. Awesomesauce. Thanks for the hard work, FC.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ulfengaard wrote:This is so epic. I can't wait to try out the new slabs and detailing interface. Awesomesauce. Thanks for the hard work, FC.
You're welcome man. I'd estimate I've probably got over 100 hours of work sunk into this update already (I've been working on it at least 10 hours a day since two Saturdays ago), but the end is definitely in sight now.

Out of the remaining features, I think the only one I'm still *mildly* concerned about are the Pulleys and Platforms. Once those are out of the way, I don't see anything else taking too much time, or presenting any big problems to solve.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Most excellent to hear! Another big threshold crossed.

One thing I love about this thread is how you're primarily focusing on the big features but those big features imply that the portions of the tech tree that lead up to them are working as well. For example, I would assume that crafting the anvil also means that the complex smelting process to make soulforged steel is working.

I can image the pulleys and platforms could be a significant challenge based on past discussions. Good luck when you head in to tackle that step.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battlecat wrote: One thing I love about this thread is how you're primarily focusing on the big features but those big features imply that the portions of the tech tree that lead up to them are working as well. For example, I would assume that crafting the anvil also means that the complex smelting process to make soulforged steel is working.
Yeah, I don't really mention that stuff as once I have the related block working (the Crucible in the case of Steel), everything associated with it is pretty much taken care of as well, unless it's another block or entity.

I don't think I've had to change an item yet. I'll probably need to look at Broadhead Arrows (as they're an entity onto themselves), but otherwise items are largely a non-issue.

So yeah, don't worry...all those obsidian pick mods should have no trouble updating at all ;)
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Hold the freaking phone... Someone uses obsidian pick mods? When we have steel infused with the souls of the innocent at our disposal??? BLASPHEMY!
**Ontopic- Dirt slabs? Bueno. FC fixed the tech tree all the way to steel? What an awesome newsflash! Goodjob man!
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
Magick_Miner

Post by Magick_Miner »

Loving the updates to how your doing and getting an idea for the amount of work that goes into this update. Watching your mini base grow is a great visual representation of your progress.

Once the update is done will be fun to get all the posted pictures in a flipbook format to see how it progressed.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: I'd estimate I've probably got over 100 hours of work sunk into this update already (I've been working on it at least 10 hours a day since two Saturdays ago), but the end is definitely in sight now.

Out of the remaining features, I think the only one I'm still *mildly* concerned about are the Pulleys and Platforms. Once those are out of the way, I don't see anything else taking too much time, or presenting any big problems to solve.
Wow... That's a lot of work! Awesome that you're coming out of it though. You'll be back to the fun stuff soon. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Wow... That's a lot of work! Awesome that you're coming out of it though. You'll be back to the fun stuff soon. :)
Yeah, it's pretty fucking insane when I add it all up. Way beyond my initial *minimum* estimate of 40+ hours to perform the update, but I think I'll come in close to what I said about it taking a couple of weeks total.

Again though, I'm very much obliged to the folks that have been donating during this period. It's definitely helped me justify the time investment somewhat, and has gone a long way to keeping my spirits up.