Heraldic coat of arms

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves

Which one coat of arms is the best?

No votes
12%
20%
24%
12%
28%
4%
No votes

Total votes: 25
Larmantine

Heraldic coat of arms

Post by Larmantine »

Good evening (morning/day/night for someone perhaps), my dearest community,

I've come to you to ask your opinions. I am making a coat of arms for local region, which is made out of a regular spanish shield, inside of it a silver triangle and a dark green and red in the sides. These colors represent the colors of the local region. Inside the triangle there is a wild strawberry. Currently I've made 8 slightly different types of them. There very early made, not smoothed and polished, well, a bit ugly too. I am not a professional, don't know much about computer graphics etc, been doing things like these ~ for a year.
So here goes, I've uploaded a big image (not very great quality) of them, please vote which one you like best, or comment if you have time and will to do it.

Here's the image (Warning, very large!)
Spoiler
Show
Here's a smaller (still big) version
Spoiler
Show
EDIT: heres a link, can view fullscreen Please don't be rash. I really need to know which one looks better in order to know what to make next.
If the image is way too big, let me know and i will try to make it smaller.

EDIT: typo
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
The great randomo

Re: Heraldic coat of arms

Post by The great randomo »

Lol, the smaller image is bigger!
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Number four is great IMO. Nothing overlaps, and it looks clean and simple.

The lower strawberry in 1 should move a bit to the left.
Last edited by Itamarcu on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

1 sort of draws your eye off to the side and top and looks weird.
2+3 are mostly mirror images of each other and are both okay.
5-8 have just too much going on.

4 might be my favorite although if you could make a mirror image (like 2+3 are to eachother) that might be better. Right now the red parts in the middle are near the red side, and green parts near green side, which I don't think it looks as good.
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

It's a little thing that no one cares about anymore, but in many pictures the white of the flower touches the grey of the background. Both white and grey are counted as Argent in heraldry. And it is not correct heraldry to have argent touching argent.

Three is my favorite, except for the stem that supports the big strawberry. It looks slightly off.
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

Thank you for your comments!
This is very helpful.

Awfulcopter wrote:It's a little thing that no one cares about anymore, but in many pictures the white of the flower touches the grey of the background. Both white and grey are counted as Argent in heraldry. And it is not correct heraldry to have argent touching argent.

Three is my favorite, except for the stem that supports the big strawberry. It looks slightly off.
Ah... well it was either that, or make the flower in silver, wich would make the flower "invisible".
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Looks like I voted with the masses. I chose that one because of the largest strawberry coming into the foreground; compositionally, it is the most visually appealing one. It has the most flowers, strawberries and leaves in it without becoming too "busy" as well.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

There's a bit too much going on in 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 look a little strange with the leaves at the bottom. I'd go for 2 or 3.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Might I ask what prompted you to do this?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

Horizon wrote:Might I ask what prompted you to do this?
The local region's council.