Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Morvelaira's News Compilation

Post by FlowerChild »

darahalian wrote:Well, so much for reasons to stay in the Nether...
Even more significant is pigmen spawning through portals in the overworld. That's the one I'm more likely to change.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

FlowerChild wrote:
Even more significant is pigmen spawning through portals in the overworld. That's the one I'm more likely to change.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. And I guess the netherwart isn't even all that big of a problem either, unless you make a ton of potions. I know I haven't harvested any new netherwart in a long time in my world, but I don't really make a lot of potions. But being able to create even a pigman farm without going to the Nether... yeah, that's a bit much. I guess this is just more proof that Mojang doesn't design with mob-traps in mind.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

darahalian wrote: Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. And I guess the netherwart isn't even all that big of a problem either, unless you make a ton of potions. I know I haven't harvested any new netherwart in a long time in my world, but I don't really make a lot of potions. But being able to create even a pigman farm without going to the Nether... yeah, that's a bit much. I guess this is just more proof that Mojang doesn't design with mob-traps in mind.
Don't get me wrong though: I don't like the netherwart thing either. Just in terms of significance to the mod, the pigman thing is a much bigger issue.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

FlowerChild wrote: Don't get me wrong though: I don't like the netherwart thing either. Just in terms of significance to the mod, the pigman thing is a much bigger issue.
Maybe make it like Bloodwood trees in the overworld, as in purely decorative instead of functional? No idea how feasible it would be to copy the code over, but if its rediculously easy to do so, it might make sense. Then again, it's way too easy to get a hold of too much netherwort in minecraft anyways so it probably wouldn't change gameplay much, if at all.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
DumbassTurtle

Post by DumbassTurtle »

Calcifire3691 wrote:
darahalian wrote:
  • Nether Warts
  • Can now be grown in the Overworld and in the End
Well, so much for reasons to stay in the Nether...
that's the sort of thing that I could imagine FC changing back, especialy since it's been put in because of the vanilla problem of "there's nothing to do in the nether but AFK", in vanilla, it's great, now people don't need to just afk in the nether, in BTW, it's just a nerf
For just pure vanilla SMP I can so deal with netherwart growing in the overworld only because every server I've played on the Nether is super annoying (I freeze in place for several seconds at a time, mined blocks popping back into existence, etc.) and I tend to crash and lose connection often.
Otherwise that really kills single player nether base fun. :\
Eh something, something...
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

FlowerChild wrote:
darahalian wrote: Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. And I guess the netherwart isn't even all that big of a problem either, unless you make a ton of potions. I know I haven't harvested any new netherwart in a long time in my world, but I don't really make a lot of potions. But being able to create even a pigman farm without going to the Nether... yeah, that's a bit much. I guess this is just more proof that Mojang doesn't design with mob-traps in mind.
Don't get me wrong though: I don't like the netherwart thing either. Just in terms of significance to the mod, the pigman thing is a much bigger issue.
How is it? The pigmen spawn rate from even a very large amount of portals is minimal, and it is just plain inefficient to use portals as a spawning mechanism.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

It's not inefficient if you light up and clear such a large area that pigmen from portals are the only things capable of spawning.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I would imagine that it's not normal spawning rules... I.e. not affected by anything else.

At least I hope, otherwise a nerf is in order.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

Based on the way the code seems to work, a few conclusions can be drawn about the pigman spawning:

-Pigman spawning ignores the mob cap and any other hostile mob spawning
-Their rate of spawn increases based on difficulty. On hard mode, you might expect one pigman to spawn from one portal in about 2 hours.

Imagine you have a "portal farm" in your overworld. You stock it with 100 portals (about 700 obsidian), light them all up, and go AFK. In one hour, you'd get roughly 60 zombie pigmen spawned, which combined drop about 27 gold nuggets. After collecting the obsidian and constructing the farm, you could get about 1 block of gold from 3 hours of grinding while on hard mode.

I don't intend to say this unbalanced one way or another, I'm just providing some information
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

Ah so if what you say is correct, you can't really encourage pigmen to spawn other than adding portals. I was going under the assumption that pigman spawning would be similar to slime spawning in that it has a low chance in comparison to other mobs, but by reducing other mob spawn rates to 0% through light, you'd effectively make it 100%.

Still it seems like pigmen spawning at portals isn't all that big of a deal, at least, not to me. A nether farm'll be more effective, and most, if not all, pigman famrs I've seen have actualy been pig/magma cube or even pig/cube/ghast.
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

Edit: so somehow I quoted myself and double posted. Ignore this. Maybe I missed the edit button or something.
Last edited by DxPanxD on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

bmanfoley wrote: -Their rate of spawn increases based on difficulty. On hard mode, you might expect one pigman to spawn from one portal in about 2 hours.
That one is extremely strange IMO. Why base it on difficulty? Pigmen are non-hostile, unless they've modified their overworld behavior.

Also, if you think folks are going to stop at 100 portals, I don't think you have a good sense of the scale at which people tend to play with mob-farms ;)
Six

Post by Six »

If they made pigmen have a rare chance to spawn, then they should have done the same for ghasts :)
Notch promised us that a long time ago.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Six wrote:If they made pigmen have a rare chance to spawn, then they should have done the same for ghasts :)
Notch promised us that a long time ago.
it would give a reason to turn off your portals if you aren't using them :P
(well other than the annoying noise that is)
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

FlowerChild wrote:Also, if you think folks are going to stop at 100 portals, I don't think you have a good sense of the scale at which people tend to play with mob-farms ;)
I guess I thought of that number while thinking about vanilla gameplay, where gathering 700~ obsidian is quite a task due to the time it takes to mine it and having to gather and organize the lava. In BTW, it's obviously much easier to obtain the obsidian (BDs and redstone, requiring as little as 1 lava source block). I do see your point. People will take this to the extreme, and create a farm that utilizes size rather than creativity and thinking. I'll say now that I'm fully in support of you removing this feature, or altering it so that the spawning can only happen under "normal" conditions, and not in farms.
weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

bmanfoley wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Also, if you think folks are going to stop at 100 portals, I don't think you have a good sense of the scale at which people tend to play with mob-farms ;)
I guess I thought of that number while thinking about vanilla gameplay, where gathering 700~ obsidian is quite a task due to the time it takes to mine it and having to gather and organize the lava. In BTW, it's obviously much easier to obtain the obsidian (BDs and redstone, requiring as little as 1 lava source block). I do see your point. People will take this to the extreme, and create a farm that utilizes size rather than creativity and thinking. I'll say now that I'm fully in support of you removing this feature, or altering it so that the spawning can only happen under "normal" conditions, and not in farms.
I know this would require excessive coding, but what if, the pigman can only spawn by a portal if there are no other portals in a set range. this would give the player some gold treats by his main nether portal, but portal farms would have to have each portal like 200 blocks from another portal, so you could only have like 10 active portals in loading range at a time.
MoRmEnGiL: In the grand scheme of things, if you hate pickles in your burger, you can always remove them and go on.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

As always guys, take suggestions to the suggestion forum so that I can ignore them, and so that we don't drive Morv nuts with the off-topic.
weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

FlowerChild wrote:As always guys, take suggestions to the suggestion forum so that I can ignore them, and so that we don't drive Morv nuts with the off-topic.
Sorry, didn't mean that to be a suggestion.
MoRmEnGiL: In the grand scheme of things, if you hate pickles in your burger, you can always remove them and go on.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:As always guys, take suggestions to the suggestion forum so that I can ignore them, and so that we don't drive Morv nuts with the off-topic.
I can be driven nuts? You mean I'm not already there?!

But yes - please make sure you are posting in the appropriate place, guys. Suggestions go in the suggestion forum. Items not relating to Minecraft news - particularly news that will actually have an impact on the Better than Wolves mod - do not belong in this thread. Items not directly relating to Better than Wolves do not belong in the BTW Discussion forum. Only problems that you are completely, 100% sure are bugs (and hopefully have independently verified with other people to reduce the risk of your ignorance making you look stupid) go in the bug forum - all others go to tech support. The IRC channel on Esper.net is not a bad first stop either.

In short, while there's a lot of madness on these forums, there's a lot of order to it as well. I think anyone who plays Minecraft as obsessively as this community does can appreciate that. While these are not and will never be MY forums, I rather like the order enforced here and will be a grunt to support it. Otherwise it messes with my CDO, man!

(This rant of the day brought to you by a caffeine crash, and extreme impatience while I wait for the final stages of windows installation on my new computer.)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

...and to put the cherry on Morv's cake:

Saying sorry when you're told that you're off-topic is just additional off-topic.

If someone says sorry to that as well, I shall of course scream.
Nazara

Post by Nazara »

If we are taking this in consideration, then nothing short of just cutting off Pigman spawn in the overworld completely will ever solve the problem.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Nazara wrote: If we are taking this in consideration, then nothing short of just cutting off Pigman spawn in the overworld completely will ever solve the problem.
After all of the above, I consider a week vacation a reasonable response to this.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Ah nice! Everyone needs a good vacation. I suggest a second week and some great whiskey! This will let some of the debris and dust to settle after the 1.3 release.

And maybe a temp ban to put me back in my place.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

For having to say for the THRID time this month, "Don't ask for things you don't really want!" you have made me facepalm, Rawny.

For and equally large facepalm to try and keep to my own rules about on-topicness:

Jeb: Today we apply the Wishful Thinking pattern to bug fixing =)
https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/228394000279826433
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/228829830731427840

Jeb: "So this block http://i.imgur.com/WHpGr.png will be able to run cmds on redstone signals. With proper commands, many things can be scripted"'

Oh my