Would like input before officially suggesting this

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
RaustBlackDragon

Would like input before officially suggesting this

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Right, so, I came up with an idea for a BTW feature. I personally think it would be interesting, but it just occurred to me that I am highly ignorant regarding the whole redstone business, and this entire idea will fail if I missed something that renders it useless or redundant or impossible. So I thought I'd post it here first, see if it's even worth suggesting, because I'd like to be more careful about suggestions than I have been in the past. Here's the draft of the suggestion:

I recently discovered that moondials actually exist. I had heard some TV show mention them when I was a kid, but given the context I thought it was just a fictional parody of a sundial for use by nocturnal monsters. Turns out that I was wrong, and they actually did exist, and in reading the brief wikipedia article, one particular point stuck out to me:

Apparently moondials are HEAVILY affected by what phase the moon is in. They're only really accurate during the full moon, and every day after that they get roughly 48 minutes slower. This makes moondials pretty much useless for telling time, but Steve, always the one to think outside the box, might realize that he could harness the very forces that make the moondial useless for telling time and use them as an accurate lunar phase reader.

Let's say Steve built a moondial, roughly the same height as a redstone repeater, and then placed it in the following formation, viewed from above:

O = block with moondial on top of it
X = detector block

XXX
XOX
XXX

The moondial would be surrounded by 8 detector blocks, one for each phase of the minecraft moon. Depending on the lunar phase, the moondial would activate one of the 8 detector blocks, starting with the one the moondial's "arrow" would be pointing towards.

Thus the mondial, when exposed to the sky, would send a different redstone signal for each lunar phase. And unlike the method of hooking up a lens + detector block to a BD memory unit, this would not be thrown off course by a single night spent away from the device.

What would the utility of this be? Well, it would let you automate things on a larger timescale. Let's say your breeding factory needs to be restocked with wheat roughly once every 80 minutes. With this you could have a redstone system do that for you.

I have a tendency to think ideas are great, only to discover that they're useless or redundant or some other awful adjective. So does anybody have any feedback on this?
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Shady

Re: Would like input before officially suggesting this

Post by Shady »

I'm not sure, man. I don't think there's anything in BTW that actually relates to the moon's phases. Sorry, but I don't much use in this unless there's a moon-related BTW update.
FlowerChild wrote: Maybe the looting organ happens to fly right in his face as his battle-axe cleaves a villager in two, and causes him to scream "Eureka!".
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Fc mentioned that he might implement moon phase related things:
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:I might be able to work the phase of the moon into this as well actually. It kinda bugs me that it got added to the game but wasn't made part of actual gameplay.

I'm thinking the most reasonable (in a fantasy way) explanation for any of the above is that the plant requires moonlight to grow. Just "seeing the sky" doesn't make much sense on its own.

Anyways, it's all hypothetical at this point as I have no immediate plans for a new plant, but this could come in handy down the road.
I think moondial will allow us some interesting clock designs, but I don´t really know for what it could be useful, except a process that is just avaible in a specific moonphase.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Shady

Post by Shady »

I remember seeing that, but I still don't think this idea would be of much use until that system gets added. You would just have a block that was there for (almost) no reason. I don't think FC would like that. The clock idea is good, though it might be challenging to set up.
FlowerChild wrote: Maybe the looting organ happens to fly right in his face as his battle-axe cleaves a villager in two, and causes him to scream "Eureka!".
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It's already quite easy to build a piston based clock for intervals of anywhere up to several hours, customized to the exact interval length you require. The BD can also be used to this end in a more compact form.

If timing is its only utility, I don't see it having an actual reason to exist in the game.

edit With the lens acting as a day/night detector it would be even easier to set up a counter to mark off every fourth sunset.
Better is the enemy of Good
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Well, It's nice to have a way of timing larger periods, but that's why we have the lens day/night detector.

You made a nice suggestion, but ultimately I think you suggested a block instead of a function (measuring moon phases), which, can already be measured.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Itamarcu wrote:Well, It's nice to have a way of timing larger periods, but that's why we have the lens day/night detector.

You made a nice suggestion, but ultimately I think you suggested a block instead of a function (measuring moon phases), which, can already be measured.
But we have to start the clock at the right time, and when we go far enough away we would have to restart it at the righ time again.This would be too dangerous for a automated important moon related process.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

DaveYanakov wrote:It's already quite easy to build a piston based clock for intervals of anywhere up to several hours, customized to the exact interval length you require. The BD can also be used to this end in a more compact form.

If timing is its only utility, I don't see it having an actual reason to exist in the game.

edit With the lens acting as a day/night detector it would be even easier to set up a counter to mark off every fourth sunset.

Except if you are away from the clock at sunset.

Honestly it is not as easy as you think to track time.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

^This. Which is actually very disappointing - I had come up with an idea for a circular, light block based display that would cycle through different phases in sync with the moon (just for fun.) Unfortunately given the chunk loading/unloading thing I don't think that idea would be viable :(
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It will throw off the timing, sure, but the thing you are using the timer for also freezes. Tying your timer to the lunar cycle would actually have the potential to throw it off much more.
Better is the enemy of Good
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

What does this add to the mod other than make easier something that can already be done with what exists in it already?
And HOW!