Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Morvelaira's MC News Compilation

Post by FlowerChild »

kjbrona wrote:FYI -
Jens Bergensten ‏@jeb_
Ok, the plan is to get 1.3 out on August 1, with pre-releases a week prior to that. #ValveTime
Yikes. Ok, that's not entirely unpleasant news for me, since that means I won't have to go into update hell for another month, but still...wow.

I guess that's another month of chaos where nobody knows what the fuck is going on to look forward to.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Maybe the block ID updates will make it in then?? :P
Magick_Miner

Post by Magick_Miner »

kjbrona wrote:FYI -
Jens Bergensten ‏@jeb_
Ok, the plan is to get 1.3 out on August 1, with pre-releases a week prior to that. #ValveTime
I'm tempted to say thats abit of a troll/joke tweet. His previous tweet to that was:

First proper work day with @dinnerbone nearing its end! Got a lot of bugs squashed, planning for the actual 1.3 release.

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/219824416081711106

Which suggests a more imminent release date.

EDIT - I was wrong.
Last edited by Magick_Miner on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Maybe the block ID updates will make it in then?? :P
Actually, I gave up all hope of seeing them anytime soon after that API meeting. It sounds like they're going to go for some overly ambitious total restructuring of how MC handles IDs, rather than a simple and immediately useful one.

But yeah...at least a month until we see anything at all in any area.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Ok, the whole block ID thing is now officially a serious fuck-up on mojang's part, no excuses.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, the only real mistake was mentioning it/partially implementing so far ahead of actually getting it in the game.

But yeah, remember what I said about extended block ID mods that supposedly complete what Mojang did being dangerous? That's definitely the case. I have no idea what the end solution will look like exactly, but I think there's very little chance it will even be based on what's already in there.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Dinnerbone confirms that jeb_ wasn't just trolling about 1.3's release date:
https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/2 ... 9403359232
https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/2 ... 6549326848

Here's hoping we don't see a repeat of the other updates that Mojang gave a release date for; see Alpha 1.2 ("Halloween Update") and Beta 1.8/"1.9"/Release 1.0 ("Adventure Update"). Neither one was feature-complete (Adventure Update took 9 pre-releases and two release candidates, or two major patches to finish) or released with relatively low bugs (1.2 had 14 subpatches that followed where the only new feature was the addition of and support for the /texturepacks folder).

EDIT: More on the plans for snapshots:
jeb wrote:We'll do a snapshot on Thursday, then there's gonna be a short snapshot pause until end of July
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Magick_Miner

Post by Magick_Miner »

1.3 information and weekly snapshot.

http://www.mojang.com/2012/07/minecraft ... pshot-w27/
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Please check your piston contraptions. Most we’ve tested still work fine, but some require changes to repeater delays and similar. Overall, pistons should have fewer bugs, but will appear to update slightly slower.
I bet this will break so many builds. I have countless contraptions that rely on pistons updating quicker than BD's.

EDIT: Double ninja!
Last edited by embirrim on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Please check your piston contraptions. Most we’ve tested still work fine, but some require changes to repeater delays and similar. Overall, pistons should have fewer bugs, but will appear to update slightly slower.
Very scared about this one. I have soooo many things relying on pistons, and their faster-than-anything-else update.
[Edit : Ninja'd :p]

I'm also wodering how worse is it now, performance-wise, to run the new version.
fallendice

Post by fallendice »

I'll be honest, the way this is looking with the BtB uncertainty, and the possible issues with single player being buggy, I may just have to move my main focus to smp. Honestly, that's not really a bad thing per-say, I'll hold off judgement to see how much better smp is first I guess. I really didn't like this part in the bad,
Minecraft 1.3: The Bad

Since single-player has been turned into a shell on top of a background server, the game’s resource requirements have increased. When playing single-player, the game needs to be able to both simulate and emulate the world, which take many more CPU cycles. We’re working on optimizing rendering, but those improvements will not be included until Minecraft 1.4.
I am especially worried about this,
I understand they want to stop the sand duplication, but is preventing cheaty sand a big enough problem making it worth possibly destroying huge complex and amazing redstone creations?

I am crossing my fingers that this is only Chicken Little, the sky is falling type stuff, and its actually going to get better, lol.
If it can't be built, FlowerChild just hasn't thought of it yet. ;)
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

So we get 1.3 earlier and but the key features have been pushed back again.. hmm.
I really fear the piston thing, I hope the basic flip flops still work, because going back to pure redstone designs would be horrible.

Btw, I'm not sure if this really was a thing, but wasn't there once talk about more meta data for blocks instead of just the 4 bits they currently have? What happened to that ?
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Oh god oh god.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I'm not very optimistic for this one..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
RenEvo

Post by RenEvo »

Tested the pistons a bit. Firing without a delay in a loop I had some graphical issues where the piston body would disappear at some point, even though it still fired the signal, and the block connected to the piston arm would also disappear.

Setup was to have a sticky piston, torch under block connected to sticky piston, connect back to piston.

I also connected an upward firing sticky piston to this pulse, and it had the same issue, about the same time.

The most interesting part though was that if sand gets updated too quickly, it will destroy and drop its self. Making working with sand a timing issue (tree farms, etc...)
FlowerChild wrote:Version 3.49 of Better Than Wolves
-Added ability for villagers to toss the milk.
YouTube | Twitch
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Ok. Now that I have interwebs again, (*glares at Comcast*) the OP has been updated.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

From MC wiki:
Boats now drop the boat item when destroyed.
Sigh.
Herr Derp

Post by Herr Derp »

FlowerChild wrote:From MC wiki:
Sigh.
At least those razor sharp lily pads won't ruin your day.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

They no longer destroy boats already ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Herr Derp wrote: At least those razor sharp lilly pads won't ruin your day.
Yeah...it's just kinda like the trampling crops thing. Instead of fixing the bug, they just made the game easier by removing an interesting aspect.

Being concerned over navigation was kinda cool.
Battosay wrote:They no longer destroy boats already ;)
Well, yes and no. They aren't supposed to, but as of a couple of pre-releases ago, they still were on occasion anyways ;)
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

As annoying as boat destruction was (because I drive boats like Keith Moon), I always kind of liked the after effects of losing my boat far from home. Led to real frustration and exploration...
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ribky wrote:As annoying as boat destruction was (because I drive boats like Keith Moon), I always kind of liked the after effects of losing my boat far from home. Led to real frustration and exploration...
Yeah, that's the thing. The other part is that it leaves a low-level sense of danger while navigating a boat, which further engages the player.

It's like Cauldrons blowing up, or ghasts appearing from Hoppers, or people sinking in Steel armor...once you know these things happen, you can generally avoid them, but having those kind of concerns in the back of your head makes certain aspects of the game feel dangerous, and gives you one more thing to worry about and thus keeps you engaged.

If you put the player in a giant rubber room with no real danger, their mind drifts and they stop having fun.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

It's a little irrelevant to the current topic of conversation, but are they going to make any more changes to world generation before the 1.3 release?
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/544- ... a-13-news/
I'm not sure where this list was retrieved from.
Fixed being able to place portals in the nether in locations where they would end up in illegal locations in the overworld
Does anyone know what this means, exactly? Is it referring to Nether portals created using exploits or bugs/hacks/mods/whatever to place Nether portals at y=128 and higher? I'd ask on the MC forum, but they're running around in circles yapping about stacking signs, which I've been doing for over a year and a half, thanks to Risugami and zombe.
Iodinium

Post by Iodinium »

Mr. B wrote:http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/544- ... a-13-news/
Fixed being able to place portals in the nether in locations where they would end up in illegal locations in the overworld
Does anyone know what this means, exactly? Is it referring to Nether portals created using exploits or bugs/hacks/mods/whatever to place Nether portals at y=128 and higher? I'd ask on the MC forum, but they're running around in circles yapping about stacking signs, which I've been doing for over a year and a half, thanks to Risugami and zombe.
Netherportals placed in the nether at coordinate X or further (not sure which, i think 3.000.000) will glitch out and place you into the farlands, where you'll fall into the void constantly essentially losing the world. That's what i remember anyway, might not be completely correct.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mr. B wrote:http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/544- ... a-13-news/
When in doubt, check the MC wiki release notes. I don't even bother going to the official ones anymore, as they rarely mention most of the relevant details.

One extra click from "version history", gets you to the development version history:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Versi ... t_versions