syncing saves on multiple computers

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
jehanum

syncing saves on multiple computers

Post by jehanum »

I thought I would post this question here, as I consider this a far more reliable and intelligent community with regard to technical matters. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The situation.... I have multiple computers, and i'm looking for a mostly automatic way to sync various users Minecraft saves across them. So far I've tried Sync Toy(I know, it's Microsoft..), but it does something wierd to my dogs(they stop responding). I'd be fine manually moving files if it was just me, but my wife and kids aren't savy enough to handle that chore reliably(my youngest is 5). Are there any other safe programs out there worth trying, or is there another alternative I haven't considered? Thanks in advance!
Ethazeriel

Re: syncing saves on multiple computers

Post by Ethazeriel »

To synchronize my save files across several computers, I use a combination of MultiMC and Dropbox. MultiMC allows (among other things) the storage of the .minecraft folder in a place other than the appdata folder, and Dropbox will automatically synchronize files between computers. Simply place the entire MultiMC directory in the dropbox folder, and you should be good to go; just install dropbox on all the computers that you want to use.

If you end up going with dropbox, please use this Link to sign up. This is my referral link, and if you use it to sign up it gives both of us 500mb extra storage space.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Wolves don't respond to different players, even in singleplayer.

Player "Player" and player "Poppycocks" are two different players, even though they're both me.

At least that's what I think is giving you trouble.
jehanum

Post by jehanum »

Briali wrote:To synchronize my save files across several computers, I use a combination of MultiMC and Dropbox. MultiMC allows (among other things) the storage of the .minecraft folder in a place other than the appdata folder, and Dropbox will automatically synchronize files between computers. Simply place the entire MultiMC directory in the dropbox folder, and you should be good to go; just install dropbox on all the computers that you want to use.

If you end up going with dropbox, please use this Link to sign up. This is my referral link, and if you use it to sign up it gives both of us 500mb extra storage space.
Unfortunately, MultiMC's not an option for me, I have 2 mods that don't play nice when using it. Also, I've already got dropbox, so I wouldn't be able to help you there :(, the extra space would come in handy!
Poppycocks wrote:Wolves don't respond to different players, even in singleplayer.

Player "Player" and player "Poppycocks" are two different players, even though they're both me.

Lol that's not the issue, Poppycocks, I'm talking about the same player, in the same save, on different computers. In other words, I'd like to find a way for each player to access their saves from any of my computers, without having to manually transfer them after each play session.

Thanks for the replies though.
weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

Just wondering, what mods do you have that don't work with multi MC. You can manually instal them.
MoRmEnGiL: In the grand scheme of things, if you hate pickles in your burger, you can always remove them and go on.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

jehanum wrote:
Poppycocks wrote:Wolves don't respond to different players, even in singleplayer.

Lol that's not the issue, Poppycocks, I'm talking about the same player, in the same save, on different computers. In other words, I'd like to find a way for each player to access their saves from any of my computers, without having to manually transfer them after each play session.
I know :D. I've got a hunch that your problem stems from that and the way MC saves saves. I'm not entirely sure on how to explain what I mean, but suffice to say that a loader wrapper which makes MC ... portable should solve your troubles. This one for example

Take one every two hours and report in the morning.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

In regards to the question about multiple minecraft installations, I use a series of simple .bat files set up to create a hard directory link in my appdata folder to a specific minecraft folder.

The way it works is that I have about 5 different MC installations on a seperate harddrive. Each bat file contains just one simple line, which uses the "mklink" feature included in Windows Vista and 7. What mklink does is create a directory shortcut on a level deep enough that all applications simply see the folder as being where the shortcut is. So if I want to swap between minecraft installations, all I have to do is delete the shortcut and run the appropriate .bat file.

Been considering writing a guide on it specificly for MineCraft, but the thought of providing support on MCF when people screw up is kinda deterring me...
Catox

Post by Catox »

Simple question to jehanum before going into details : would you have a problem with the idea of playing directly from a memory stick ? (no synch needed in that case)
jehanum

Post by jehanum »

Poppycocks wrote:I know :D. I've got a hunch that your problem stems from that and the way MC saves saves. I'm not entirely sure on how to explain what I mean, but suffice to say that a loader wrapper which makes MC ... portable should solve your troubles. This one for example

Take one every two hours and report in the morning.
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll be testing this out today!
Catox wrote:Simple question to jehanum before going into details : would you have a problem with the idea of playing directly from a memory stick ? (no synch needed in that case)
I read something about this on the link Poppycocks sent, you're talking about setting up a portable version of the game on a memory card/usb stick, right? How does that affect the performance of the game?
weldaSB wrote:Just wondering, what mods do you have that don't work with multi MC. You can manually instal them.
Well, I'm finding 2 seperate issues with the using MultiMC, one I found an easy work-around to, one I'm not sure how to fix. The non-forge version of Mystcraft and BTB have a conflicting forge class that MMC can't handle. Simple workaround, use MCPatcher, then copy the .minecraft folder to the appropriate instance folder. This led to the second problem, related to the Doggy Talents mod. Dogs created on one computer, don't show up when accessing the save on another computer, using the MMC/dropbox solution. Not sure there's a way around that.

Thanks for all the ideas guys, I'll continue to experiment, and if anyone else has any other ideas, feel free to chime in!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

The way minecraft works would shorten the thumbstick's life, due to a lot of read/write action. I still think dropbox is the best solution.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
jehanum

Post by jehanum »

Well, I just went to ask Raust a question on the Doggy Talents thread and found out he's adopting forge, so I guess that takes care of that issue. Thank you all very much for your input, looks like I'll be using the Dropbox solution. Consider this one fixed, if a mod would be so kind as to lock it?
tin

Post by tin »

Also does anyone know a way to only sync saves, not the entire .minecraft folder? Because I have two computers with entirely different specifications and I use different settings for them. Thank you.
redrew89

Post by redrew89 »

tin wrote:Also does anyone know a way to only sync saves, not the entire .minecraft folder? Because I have two computers with entirely different specifications and I use different settings for them. Thank you.

Tech Support is right next door, but for convienience, here's a link. You can adapt the steps in that guide to only use the saves directory.
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere