Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
blithen

Re: Morvelaira's MC News Compilation

Post by blithen »

FlowerChild wrote:
blithen wrote:But yeah I can't even imagine the amount of work that will need to be done to make it compatible with 1.3...
If it takes me less than 40 hours, I'll be extremely surprised. If it takes way more than that, I won't be.
And then I wonder how you can put THAT much work(as well as all the previous time paid) into something when all people do is bitch in the end...Of course you have people like the turtles and others that appreciate everything and are willing to give you tons of money for your effort but still.
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

blithen wrote:And then I wonder how you can put THAT much work(as well as all the previous time paid) into something when all people do is bitch in the end...Of course you have people like the turtles and others that appreciate everything and are willing to give you tons of money for your effort but still.
Making games is just what I do man. I've come to accept it as an inherent part of my nature, and a requirement for my own happiness. Unfortunately, it comes along with a certain amount of "maintenance" work that just needs to be done to get to the good bits of actually working on and implementing features.

This is just one huge dose of maintenance that I'm not particularly looking forward to. Having the mod in a completely broken state while I trudge through 40+ hours of work to get it up and running again is very close to my idea of a personal development nightmare.

Anyways, it's one I've been anticipating for a long time now, and like I said, I do accept it as a good thing for MC overall.
blithen

Post by blithen »

FlowerChild wrote: I do accept it as a good thing for MC overall.
That's the first time since I've started following BTW I've seen you judge something Mojang does for MC as a good thing. :P
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

blithen wrote: That's the first time since I've started following BTW I've seen you judge something Mojang does for MC as a good thing. :P
Nah, there were definitely others. Pistons were good. Zombies breaking down doors was good. Booster rails were good. I'm sure there's other instances as well.

Anyways, we're rapidly straying off-topic here. Let's please return this to the news and discuss BTW development elsewhere.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

Books requiring leather was good. Even though the amount of bookshelves needed was halved, it still requires the player to collect 45 leather.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

walker_boh_65 wrote: Somehow I don't see that happening. We all know that Elo is gonna be "elected" and assuming FC wants to put as much of his voice into this as possible. . .

you do that math. It won't be enjoyable for anyone evolved, but it might just be necessary.
Epic typo is epic, either way you see it :)

In any case, don't think 1.3 will be released this week, let alone next week.

I feel FC should take part in the modder's meeting.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Flesh_Engine wrote:
walker_boh_65 wrote: Somehow I don't see that happening. We all know that Elo is gonna be "elected" and assuming FC wants to put as much of his voice into this as possible. . .

you do that math. It won't be enjoyable for anyone evolved, but it might just be necessary.
Epic typo is epic, either way you see it :)

In any case, don't think 1.3 will be released this week, let alone next week.

I feel FC should take part in the modder's meeting.
Sometimes spell check works, sometimes it makes things even better. :)
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

from Jeb's twitter:

We've decided to upload the snapshot a day early this week. It will be included in @LydiaWinters Weekly Chunk later today
This snapshot will probably determine the fate of Minecraft 1.3, so please don't find new bugs ;) ‪#NewTactics
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

I really don't get that weekly chunk thing. I've only seen the first two episodes and it seemed a low quality rush edited project. I can't see what they're aiming at with it.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

This week’s snapshot has a very simple change log:

Bug fixes!
Especially one big performance bug was found and fixed, but also a lot of smaller ones. The release of Minecraft 1.3 is getting closer, but we still need to test more before it’s ready.
Interesting ... I'm already downloading it to see how it is.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Some of you may remember my post a while back about my stalled framerate (Minecraft doesn't exceed 25 fps).
This has been the same across versions, SMP or SSP, mods, texture packs, Optifine or not, snapshots, etc.

The first thing I noticed with this snapshot was how smoothly it was running. I have an almost consistent 60-80 fps.

Granted, I missed a snapshot or two, but I've tried most of them, and this is the first thing that I've ever done where I've seen my fps go above 30.

Sorry if it's a bit speculative and not official news, but it's what I've found so far, thought it was noteworth at least.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Yeah, the changelog said "Fixed a lot of bugs, and one main performance bug".

I bet this "bug" is the fact Minecraft quicksaves every 3 seconds.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

I know, I posted the changelog in the post before your link ;).

Ah, don't be so pessimistic!
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Itamarcu wrote:Yeah, the changelog said "Fixed a lot of bugs, and one main performance bug".

I bet this "bug" is the fact Minecraft quicksaves every 3 seconds.
Best changelog I have seen. Now to the YouTube to see what specific bugs are gone.

I'll edit in a good video if I find one.

EDIT (This is all I could find, apparently most people just say that they have nothing to show you and say bugs were fixed):
A shading bug fix:
Spoiler
Show
More proof of better performance:
Spoiler
Show
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Cool. A light update function.
By the way: Does anyone know about the upside down stairs and slabs lightbugs from 1.2.5? Are they fixed?
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

Here is a much longer changelog that I found on the MCF:
Monster Spawners now support extra information for the mobs it spawns. This allows unmodified games to have spawners for special variants of mobs. The player still requires external or modified means to set these parameters, though. Some examples of what Monster Spawners can spawn are Charged Creepers, Endermen holding specific blocks, Green Robe Villagers, and Villagers with custom trade offers.
Performance improvement.
Added crafting recipes for wooden stairs
Fixed changing the name of a world, loading that world, saving and quitting it undoing the world rename
Fixed the game crashing when it automatically selects the "Scanning for LAN Worlds" item in the server list and you delete it
Fixed the arrow representing the player on the map item not pointing in the right direction
Fixed clicking "Save and Quit" or "Disconnect" twice quickly crashing the game
Fixed the SMP server fairly regularly dropping all players and showing many NullPointerExceptions in the console every few hours
Fixed save files being closed each time the world was auto-saved
Fixed being able to duplicate sand and gravel
Fixed placing a piston in front of another which is powered, but not extended, causing the placed piston to become broken and have the same texture on all sides
TNT no longer drops as a ressource on creative mode
Numerous bugfixes
Quality comes before quantity.
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

I saw the mob spawner change on Vech's superhostile thread, but wasn't sure of the legitimacy of the news. It's not a very big deal for players who just play normally, but anyone who plays high quality custom maps is definitely going to enjoy that aspect of this update, in my opinion.
Six

Post by Six »

Fixed the arrow representing the player on the map item not pointing in the right direction
Game changer. This has annoyed me since maps first appeared, and looked to be such an obvious rounding error.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

I don't know if this is already known so I apologizes if it is common knowledge.
I don't normal play weekly release but with the rather major changes I wanted to see how it would run on my rig.I had a world that was legit VMC with no mods and thought this would be a perfect test bed as it has a well established mine and defenses. While mining I ran across some lapis lazuli and some Redstone ,Started mining them and the oddest thing happened . The ore dropped XP orbs. I have no idea when this was added but it is news to me. I have not tested if XP is dropped when using silk touch but this would be a very big exploit if it did.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

BigShinyToys wrote:I don't know if this is already known so I apologizes if it is common knowledge.
I don't normal play weekly release but with the rather major changes I wanted to see how it would run on my rig.I had a world that was legit VMC with no mods and thought this would be a perfect test bed as it has a well established mine and defenses. While mining I ran across some lapis lazuli and some Redstone ,Started mining them and the oddest thing happened . The ore dropped XP orbs. I have no idea when this was added but it is news to me. I have not tested if XP is dropped when using silk touch but this would be a very big exploit if it did.

Yeah, you now get XP by mining diamond, redstone, lapis or coal, and by smelting iron and gold.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Interesting, Mojang has updated and clarified the minecraft terms of use.

The section on what you can do is pretty clear now. It clearly says now that the plugins belong to the creator. Here's the full text of that section:
What You Can Do

If you've bought the game, you may play around with it and modify it. We'd appreciate it if you didn't use this for griefing, though, and remember not to distribute the changes.

Any tools you write for the game from scratch belongs to you. Other than commercial use (unless specifically authorized by us in our brand and assets usage guidelines), you're free to do whatever you want with screenshots and videos of the game, but don't just rip art resources and pass them around, that's no fun. Plugins for the game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, as long as you don't sell them for money. We reserve the final say regarding what constitutes a tool/plugin and what doesn't.
It sounds like a good thing but I'll be interested to hear what you all think about this. @KrisJelbring (web developer for mojang) appears to be spearheading this. He further clarified on his twitter that this also extends to mods.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

That´s pretty old, I think. I think I have seen it weeks/months ago. (but I´m not really sure)
Fun fact: I just postet this on the McF, and now it is here!
Is anyone stalking me?
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Battlecat wrote:Interesting, Mojang has updated and clarified the minecraft terms of use.

The section on what you can do is pretty clear now. It clearly says now that the plugins belong to the creator. Here's the full text of that section:
What You Can Do

If you've bought the game, you may play around with it and modify it. We'd appreciate it if you didn't use this for griefing, though, and remember not to distribute the changes.

Any tools you write for the game from scratch belongs to you. Other than commercial use (unless specifically authorized by us in our brand and assets usage guidelines), you're free to do whatever you want with screenshots and videos of the game, but don't just rip art resources and pass them around, that's no fun. Plugins for the game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, as long as you don't sell them for money. We reserve the final say regarding what constitutes a tool/plugin and what doesn't.
It sounds like a good thing but I'll be interested to hear what you all think about this. @KrisJelbring (web developer for mojang) appears to be spearheading this. He further clarified on his twitter that this also extends to mods.
Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention. It alleviates a lot of the fears and horror stories I'd heard from people who also do Minecraft Let's Plays. Now I know I'm fully within my copyright guidelines. :)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
kjbrona

Post by kjbrona »

FYI -
Jens Bergensten ‏@jeb_
Ok, the plan is to get 1.3 out on August 1, with pre-releases a week prior to that. #ValveTime