4channers?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Underscored

4channers?

Post by Underscored »

Anyone go on 4chan here? I go on /mu/ and /tv/, and sometimes /lit/. The rest are crap though.
>tfw your jimmies are rustled
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: 4channers?

Post by Sarudak »

Don't bring that garbage here please.
Underscored

Post by Underscored »

Sarudak wrote:Don't bring that garbage here please.
Garbage? What garbage? The only garbage in here is /b/, which is full of teenagers dying to post the most unfunny thing.
>tfw your jimmies are rustled
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

It's like a landfill. It spills over a lot of crap.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Yeah, that's two threads where you've brought things up that have provoked negative reactions, man. I would keep quiet about your other internet dealings.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

the only thing 4chan is good for is finding things that people say to let me know that they've visited 4chan without irony, and therefore it's ok to kill them.

oh, and for making the first SCP, I love that site for when I don't want to sleep :P
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I thought you guys were a bit more open-minded ...
Disappointed.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Battosay wrote:I thought you guys were a bit more open-minded ...
Disappointed.
it's not that I'm not open minded, it's just that the only way to get your mind open enough for 4chan is with a crowbar.
A little insanity is always good, but 4chan is just too much.
it's the difference between a nice glass of chocolate milk and drowning someone at a cadbury's factory
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I want you to know that I'm going to sig that comment, Calcifire
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Urian

Post by Urian »

Disappointed.
You missed the link the OP posted in another thread, hint: it got him perma banned.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Disappointed.
It's not that we're not open minded, dear. But as Urian said, the particular stuff that was getting pulled out of there was very much over the line - especially for a place where we do have children running around.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote: It's not that we're not open minded, dear. But as Urian said, the particular stuff that was getting pulled out of there was very much over the line - especially for a place where we do have children running around.
Oh gawd. Did I just unwittingly protect children? <sobs>
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:
morvelaira wrote: It's not that we're not open minded, dear. But as Urian said, the particular stuff that was getting pulled out of there was very much over the line - especially for a place where we do have children running around.
Oh gawd. Did I just unwittingly protect children? <sobs>
Yes you did, dear, but I'm sure it was only so you could indoctrinate them with your own flavor of debauchery.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I used to browse the hentai section there, however i was horrified on multiple occasions.... Now i go elsewhere for mah hentai. :3

Im neutral about it.
Never say no to Panda.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Now don't laugh... but what exactly is 4chan?
I have heard its mention, but it's reactions like this that makes my curiosity meter lower and I have never been there.
If it is as bad as the reactions I have seen here then I am quite happy to not even look at it once.

As they say, curiosity killed the creeper.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

It's a place where you post that people you don't like are having house parties (with addresses) if you want to trash there house with hundreds of gatecrashers.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

Ethinolicbob wrote:Now don't laugh... but what exactly is 4chan?
I have heard its mention, but it's reactions like this that makes my curiosity meter lower and I have never been there.
If it is as bad as the reactions I have seen here then I am quite happy to not even look at it once.

As they say, curiosity killed the creeper.
I wouldn't say I'm the sort of person who would be all that knowledgeable but here's what I can tell you from my own flawed knowledge.

4chan is an anonymous imageboard segmented into several different sections, each with various "boards"(I think that's what they're called?). Why it's so notable however is that the culture, especially of certain boards in particular such as "/b/" is very, memetic, immature, and hostile, so they are not only bad but very memorably so.

To my understanding it's not all bad but the places that are really work to be the worst they can be.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

It's simply an image board with various boards for specific things (anime, video games, music, tv, comic, traditional games) with very loose moderation and ability to post anonymously. It's random (/b/) boards is "everything goes" board which is basically cloaca of the internet.

People in this thread are seriously overacting, it's not some arcane and insane place, it's just place where people can post all kind off stuff which wouldn't be allowed in other sites, and occasionally produce some interesting things. Stay away from /b/ though, it's not scary but just stupid and gross.
Kee715

Post by Kee715 »

4chan can be pretty cool, though I largely stick with the archive as opposed to visiting the site itself so as to mostly just see the best things. When I do go there, though, I frequent /o/, /k/, /v/, (largely) /r9k/, /x/, and /fit/.
Ethinolicbob wrote:Now don't laugh... but what exactly is 4chan?
People overreact to the worst parts and label the whole thing bad, or, at least, that's the typical trend I see whenever 4chan is brought up.

Anyway, it's just an anonymous image board (or, rather, a collection of them) of various topics. It has some good discussion and some cool stuff, on top of some hilarious things. But, since it's anonymous and the rules are rather lax, things such as "word filters" and "not being an a-hole" go out the window. People often act insulting, aggressive, sick, depraved, and other such negative things either as vent, for humour, or just because they feel like it. Misogyny and racism are common, along with humour that sometimes goes so far past the line that the line no longer exists. Also, "-fag" acts as a suffix for most anyone, and people will call you gay or a faggot (pardon me for the language).

Most of the boards are pretty safe, though you'll still see racist remarks and crude/horrible humour now and then, and there are no real rules against being an aggressive, insulting a-hole, whether or not it's for humour. The 18+ boards, though, can go pretty far. /b/ is in a class of its own, and I would recommend avoiding it.

As a final word, very good advice if you want to go to 4chan is to "lurk more." In fact, that's good advice anywhere. Heck, I almost only lurk here, hence the low post count.
My brain is pants oblong uh oh.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

4chan is simply the best known but any forum with anonymity and lax rules results in anarchy and can be summed up with one image, spoilered for naughty words so if you're a minor, go ask your mother to wash your mouth out with soap before viewing.
Spoiler
Show
Better is the enemy of Good
Catox

Post by Catox »

anonymity = internet. It's pretty obvious you can be "anonymous" anywhere on the net, so that's out of the equation.

I saw lax rules and the resulting "anarchy" (the real one, not the chaos most associate with this term) to give the best results I could ever witness on the net since I started using it.
Maybe I experienced some exceptions to how things really works, but the result is I find nowadays internet rules (or more exactly, their editing/excluding consequences) to be what break most of the discussion potential of forums.

The only element that lack in your description, Dave, is certainly the most important one : 4chan is BIG. And there I agree : masses are most certainly impossible to manage with intelligence and talking alone.

But a clever enough lurker can certainly filter what's good and what's bad in such a place. So what ? Just let stupids be stupids and take the good part of the place.

And why would the fact that op was banned because of a bad (it clearly was) link be representative of an other community he's been talking about here ?

Would you put reddit in the same field as you put 4chan ?
(it's where the banning link was leading to, just in case you don't know)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

4chan is like a room full of loud idiots. In real life, when I get into a situation where I find myself in a room like that, I pick one or two interesting people and retreat to a different room for intelligent conversation.

The internet is the same for me, so I avoid 4chan in favor of smaller forums with a higher intelligence ratio, like this one.

I'm not saying 4chan is all bad, just very, very low quality and especially lowest common denominator. I can find anything I can find there somewhere else, but filtered for quality.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Yeah ...
I don't see this ending well.