Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Urian

Re: Morvelaira's MC News Compilation

Post by Urian »

Buddy blocks aren't in vMC though. On the other hand, BUDs are (BUD = Block Update Detector). some more info, although while they can e.g. detect a furnace starting or stopping smelting they can't detect opening chests yet.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Urian wrote:Buddy blocks aren't in vMC though. On the other hand, BUDs are (BUD = Block Update Detector). some more info, although while they can e.g. detect a furnace starting or stopping smelting they can't detect opening chests yet.
I think they can detect items being taken out of chests, not totally sure.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

SgtChuckle wrote:
Urian wrote:Buddy blocks aren't in vMC though. On the other hand, BUDs are (BUD = Block Update Detector). some more info, although while they can e.g. detect a furnace starting or stopping smelting they can't detect opening chests yet.
I think they can detect items being taken out of chests, not totally sure.
even if they can, it's still based on a bug, and only works once
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Calcifire3691 wrote:even if they can, it's still based on a bug, and only works once
Even if they do, and even if it is based on a bug, and even if it only does work once, if you're trying to know when somebody messes with a chest once is plenty enough.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

embirrim wrote:
Calcifire3691 wrote:even if they can, it's still based on a bug, and only works once
Even if they do, and even if it is based on a bug, and even if it only does work once, if you're trying to know when somebody messes with a chest once is plenty enough.
I meant that there's always the risk of the bug getting fixed.
(they could change that annoying locked chest ID into something actually useful :P)
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'd prefer a method that doesn't have the possibility to be broken/fixed.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

That tripwire is the best feature that been added to minecraft sense..... well a long time! It's probably the only thing I am going to look forward to in the release (minus block ID's if they come out)
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

I'm also very excited about the trip wire, actually. Finally, a step in the (somewhat) right direction for vMC! :D

By the way, sorry for the off-topic, but Itam, I'm the orange power ranger. You'll have to change your color.
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
johnt

Post by johnt »

Don't know how technically feasible it would be, but making it so you can attach a tripwire to a chest to check if it's opened seems like a simple, plausible function.
fallendice

Post by fallendice »

If Mojang doesn't do it, I'm sure FC could, hint, hint....
If it can't be built, FlowerChild just hasn't thought of it yet. ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Except a chest isn't the size of a full block...and that's already Buddy functionality.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Yamboyz1 wrote:I'm also very excited about the trip wire, actually. Finally, a step in the (somewhat) right direction for vMC! :D

By the way, sorry for the off-topic, but Itam, I'm the orange power ranger. You'll have to change your color.
With all due respect, you're more of a peach colour.

I'm not so sure about this tripwire business, but I suppose it can't be a bad thing. Be nicer to see progress reports on a stable 1.3 than somewhat fluffy features though.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

Stormweaver wrote: I'm not so sure about this tripwire business, but I suppose it can't be a bad thing. Be nicer to see progress reports on a stable 1.3 than somewhat fluffy features though.
God thank you. I completely agree.

Everything in the past few weeks has felt like the froth on a poorly done cappuccino ... who the fuck drinks those anyway? We'll see where it goes but I'm not feeling it so far, it could be good but it just seems to take the place of some things that I have actually been looking forward to and that rubs me the wrong way.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Now that I go back and look at it again, the tripwire does actually seem like an excellent feature to be adding to the game, and I'm all for vMC to get more redstone stuff to play with and interesting mechanics, but it's just at the wrong time for me, when it's mixed in with a load of crap like Ender Chests and trading. As of now, I'm going to be ill-disposed to pretty much any new feature added until I get some news on the goddamn API/IDs.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Sometimes when reading the replies in this thread I feel like I want to find some old forums from the days of infdev (aka, the good ol' days ;p ) and see if people whined as much about all the new things introduced in alpha that in their opinion might have made the game move away from what they liked, you know redstone and such?

Seriously, it feels like a lot of people complain about almost anything that is new and often without even having tested it or even understanding it. Take trading for an example, lots of complaints about how it will ruin minecraft and give you free items but hardly anyone seems to mention that of the items worth getting (diamond tools and armor, the rest is almost always easier to just mine for) are A) quite expensive (7-18 emerald each) and B) sold by the blacksmith that has a ton of items that are the most expensive ones and the way the trading system works means that he might not even offer the item(s) you want until you've spend a buttload (that's an SI unit, it's the same as a decishitload or a centifuckton) of emeralds first. Given that the villagers are quite stringy* and usually pay at most 4 emeralds for a stack of items (that you want to sell, gold sells for about 8 emeralds per stack and ender eyes for 32 emeralds per stack) plus the fact that automation in vMC is very limited, I'd say that the actual speed it will take to get enough emeralds to buy the more expensive stuff will not be that much more faster than just spelunking and mining for them and definitely more boring. The only things I'd likely be interested in getting is glass (if I have no desert nearby with the new bigger biome system or I just don't feel like destroying it) and perhaps the xp bottle so I can store a bunch in my enchanting room and just use them if I lack a few xp to get the level I want before enchanting.

*prices based on the Minecraft wiki

</rant>
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Urian wrote:...and perhaps the xp bottle so I can store a bunch in my enchanting room and just use them if I lack a few xp to get the level I want before enchanting.
Just store a bunch of Testificates in your enchanting room. What's the difference? ;)
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Urian

Post by Urian »

itamarcu wrote: Just store a bunch of Testificates in your enchanting room. What's the difference? ;)
They'd just toss the milk all over the place and soil my books, then I'd never get them open.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Hmm...How about you store them above the room, and just push a button to send one in? You know, like a PEZ dispenser.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Do the prices drop? Because you could get really rich selling ender eyes, considering how effective blaze and enderman farms can be...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

I had no idea that enderfarms are possible. I just go to the end to slaughter some.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Elevatator wrote:I had no idea that enderfarms are possible.
You have no idea....
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Elevatator wrote:I had no idea that enderfarms are possible. I just go to the end to slaughter some.
I'm guessing it's just a regular mob trap but in The End
fallendice

Post by fallendice »

The Enderman farms really are OP, lol. Here is the episode where I built mine. You can skip ahead to about 46:18 to just see the farm in action, and then watch the rest of it if you want to see how it's built.

If it can't be built, FlowerChild just hasn't thought of it yet. ;)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Calcifire3691 wrote:I'm guessing it's just a regular mob trap but in The End
Yeah :P But because only enderman can spawn, you can get stacks of double chests full of ender pearls with little effort.
Ninja'd
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Alright! Please keep discussions of already implemented (and exploited) features out of the thread please. This is for news. :)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Nazara

Post by Nazara »

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/207731363246374912

Talk about bi-polar game development