The Return To Home: Delayed (a.k.a. Eureka Part III)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
RezDev

Re: The Return To Home: Delayed (a.k.a. Eureka Part III)

Post by RezDev »

FlowerChild wrote:Another announcement:

I've made another decision...

Fuck being a plug-in.

BTW will remain a mod. My philosophy has always been "if I want something in the game, I'm modifying anything I need to in order to make that happen, compatibility be damned". It has allowed me to do things that very few other mods dare, and IMO, the Forge and all the mods scrambling to join it at present has made that an even more unique aspect of BTW.

So, I'm going back to making base-class modifications at will effective immediately. I will of course practice the same restraint I used to, which largely comes down to cost/benefit (making base-class modifications generally being high cost because of the necessity to maintain them with each MC version), but I'm not going to hold myself back beyond that.

Yes, excellent...
Spoiler
Show
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Weeeeeeeee!
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...I would like to man, but I'm presently so excited about this that I'm diving right into the code :)
Godspeed!
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Well I'm sure my stance on this is rather predictable, considering how much I generally admire you, your work and your general problem solving method, FC. Still got my fingers crossed that Mojang will hurry up and pull their finger out so we can get that mythical number soon, but in the mean time, I'm ecstatic that you have had this Eureka Part III :).
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Wow this is really good news. Looking forward for all the next updates. Keep at it, good job.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

wooooooooooooooooooooooo!

just one question though; with these base class modifications, will you be altering vanilla behaviour such as villager trading?
anyways, best news for a long time with regards to the mod.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Panda

Post by Panda »

To elaborate more im super happy your modifying the game itself. reasons why: Ide rather play 'your' minecraft than mojangs minecraft =]
Never say no to Panda.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

You know what ? Now I see you like the guy who brings good news about Minecraft, while Mojang is the one that brings the bad news.

Thanks a lot for that, you're our very own MC hero !
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

FlowerChild wrote:Another announcement:

I've made another decision...

Fuck being a plug-in.

BTW will remain a mod. My philosophy has always been "if I want something in the game, I'm modifying anything I need to in order to make that happen, compatibility be damned". It has allowed me to do things that very few other mods dare, and IMO, the Forge and all the mods scrambling to join it at present has made that an even more unique aspect of BTW.

So, I'm going back to making base-class modifications at will effective immediately. I will of course practice the same restraint I used to, which largely comes down to cost/benefit (making base-class modifications generally being high cost because of the necessity to maintain them with each MC version), but I'm not going to hold myself back beyond that.
kregoth wrote:I think this calls for some celebratory IRC shenanigans, and getting the drink on :)
Hehe...I would like to man, but I'm presently so excited about this that I'm diving right into the code :)

So you're removing the "but that would require a base class modification... I'd better not..." restriction that's been weighing you down all this time?

excuse me for a moment
*leaves room*
[muffled behind door]
YES! OH GOD YES!
[/muffled]
*re-enters room*

That's nice.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Can we bombard Jeb with Mails in Order to know if the block id thing ever comes out ?
If he get to many emails or twittert he must answer or not?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

In the words of a particularly wise man...
<dances>
I'm so glad to hear this news man :)
TheThievingMonkey

Post by TheThievingMonkey »

This will be utter awesomeness!
Time to expand my underground space for the features that might be coming. Now I realise it wasn't such a good idea to build my house on top of mountain.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheThievingMonkey wrote:This will be utter awesomeness!
Time to expand my underground space for the features that might be coming. Now I realise it wasn't such a good idea to build my house on top of mountain.
It's funny actually. That's always been something that's bothered me about MC. I think you'd expect mountainous regions to be particularly mineral rich, and for the depth at which they are located to be relative to depth from the surface as opposed to world-height.

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm no geologist, but wouldn't deeper strata be pushed up along with the mountains?

It always bugged me that digging into a mountain is basically a losing strategy in MC.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

FlowerChild wrote:It always bugged me that digging into a mountain is basically a losing strategy in MC.
Could you "correct" that ? ;)
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I think that counts as world gen editing...
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Husbag3 wrote:I think that counts as world gen editing...
maybe... but who said it was the overworld? :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

No, I'm not changing that. Was just a random aside based on his comments about building in mountains.
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

Just read the entire thread... This is great news. Can't wait :)
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

FlowerChild wrote:No, I'm not changing that. Was just a random aside based on his comments about building in mountains.
Shame... I build almost all of my bases in and under mountains, but I understand you're "No fucking with world gen" policy. :)
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

So FC, got any hints as to what "home" is? A separate dimension, a change to the overworld, even an allegory so deep that it makes our minds explode? You haven't had comments on any of the above except "playing devil's advocate" for a new dimension, and I can't tell if you don't want to spoil things, or if you were just amused at our speculation :)
kaspermwh

Post by kaspermwh »

Aawwww yeaaah,

Glad to hear that you're motivated FC :)
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

BinoAl wrote: I can't tell if you don't want to spoil things, or if you were just amused at our speculation :)
this is FC we're talking about, the two possibilities aren't mutually exclusive :P
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Calcifire3691 wrote:
BinoAl wrote: I can't tell if you don't want to spoil things, or if you were just amused at our speculation :)
this is FC we're talking about, the two possibilities aren't mutually exclusive :P
Hah. True. Hell, there's a third option here: Psychological Warfare. *tinfoil*
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm no geologist, but wouldn't deeper strata be pushed up along with the mountains?

It always bugged me that digging into a mountain is basically a losing strategy in MC.
That really depends on what kind of mountains they are. If they're formed by tectonic plates mushing together (like say the Himalayas) then that would be true because they're basically scraped up bits of the earths crust. On the other hand if they're formed by volcanic activity (like the cascade mountains) then that wouldn't be true because they're formed by repeated volcanic eruptions so they would look the same as any other rock.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Sarudak wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm no geologist, but wouldn't deeper strata be pushed up along with the mountains?

That really depends on what kind of mountains they are. If they're formed by tectonic plates mushing together (like say the Himalayas) then that would be true because they're basically scraped up bits of the earths crust. On the other hand if they're formed by volcanic activity (like the cascade mountains) then that wouldn't be true because they're formed by repeated volcanic eruptions so they would look the same as any other rock.
So in any way it´s true?
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Elevatator wrote:So in any way it´s true?
No. It depends on how minecraft mountains are supposed to be formed. But then minecraft geology doesn't make sense. There's no geological reason for gold and lapis to be found deeper than iron...