SMP/Singleplayer Merger - No Longer A Concern.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
TheAnarchitect

Re: SMP/Singleplayer Merger - No Longer A Concern.

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Except for at least one base class, whichever one makes it incompatible with anything Forge. ;)
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

FlowerChild wrote:
If I don't continue modifying those files, yes, you are correct. However, Mojang has stated that mods will continue to exist, with "plug-ins" being what they refer to as mods that do not change any base-classes.

That's why I've been reluctant to make base-class changes as of late. So yes, your concern is valid, but not as do or die as you seem to be thinking. I'll still be able to mod base-classes once the API is out, I'd just prefer not to if possible.
Hm I see. Thanks for the explanation. I thought I had heard that Mojang wasn't going to distribute the base classes anymore, allowing modders to only use the API. I thought I'd heard that somewhere.
Nazara

Post by Nazara »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Except for at least one base class, whichever one makes it incompatible with anything Forge. ;)

The need for Forge will dimish after the API comes out and they update it to a state where the more complex mods move over to using it effectivly. If Forge has to continue to exist in some capacity to provide hooks unavailable with the API, it will still be in a much diminished manner. At the point where the client is able to connect to a central upload area to automatically download and install mods for you, intentional incompatibility is likely to be something that has to go the way of the dodo in order for a mod to be made available in such a manner. I doubt Mojang would care enough about one side or another of a squabble to let something like that slide.

Compare Minecraft Forums and Whatever the client-service might be called to the Nexus mod sites and Steam Workshop. On Nexus, people can upload intentional incompatibilities because The Nexus doesn't really care because any drama generates more ad rev, where Steam Workshop is run by Valve, a legitimate business, and that sort of thing just doesn't fly.

Assuming you care to use the client-based download-install thing. Many people still use Nexus instead of Steam Workshop for whatever reasons (mainly Steam doesn't allow nude and overly-sexual mods, which compromise 90% of a TES nexus site).
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Nazara, as far as my understanding goes, Mojang API using "plugins" will exist 99% compatible with each other, but there will still be mods that modify the game files as opposed to just adding content, and it is these kind of mods which currently largely use forge or variations of. I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) that as such, forge will still exist in a significant manner. Mods like BTW, Tropicraft, Terrafirmacraft &c will likely still need to edit base classes, making them of the creation that Mojang are suggesting are 'mods' whereas the simple mods can adapt to this plugin system. I don't think they plan to update the API to support the bigger mods.

Mind you, this is from my memory of some pretty old info so I could be very mistaken.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Before someone inevitably blows a gasket:

There is no intentional incompatibility between BTW and the Forge. There is just plain old incompatibility due to both of them having to modify the same base-class files.

I'd ask people to please be careful with these kinds of statements as they have an extremely high potential for causing drama.
Nazara

Post by Nazara »

Eriottosan wrote: Mind you, this is from my memory of some pretty old info so I could be very mistaken.

I recall the Bukkit team talking about the API clearly not being able to support the bigger mods in the first update, but that further updates to the API would make it feasible for the larger mods to exist with only minimal assistance from outside API.

Really, it all depends on what hooks they include and add, and how far the Bukkit guys are willing to go with it.