Frames Per Second in Minecraft - questions and concerns ...

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Eriottosan

Frames Per Second in Minecraft - questions and concerns ...

Post by Eriottosan »

Out of interest, what does everyone get FPS-wise here?

I used to be pretty satisfied with my ~25FPS ... Until recently ... Then I realised that most people have higher than that. But mine seems to stick at around 25FPS (with a few lags on occasions) regardless of texture pack, mods, or settings. The only thing that has made any difference is setting render distance to "tiny" which made it average 28 ... Not really worth it ;). Optifine has never made any difference for me, nor does allocating more ram, full screen, or anything. V-sync is off on my ATI Catalyst Control centre etc.

The only time I get more FPS is when I look at the sky ... when it skyrockets to 130.

Anyone else had this kind of issue? It's livable with, but now that I see that other people tend to get better, well, I wanna know my options ;).

Eriotto
x
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
harryht

Re: Frames Per Second in Minecraft - questions and concerns

Post by harryht »

i normally play at above 50 fps except on fancy graphics then it goes below 20 and it hurts, damn leaves :P
i try to play on medium far sight but end up playing on small.
i am also kind of interested in how other people play
01100011 01100001 01101110 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110100 01110010 01100001 01101110 01110011 01101100 01100001 01110100 01100101 00111111 00100000 00111010 01001100
Spoiler
Show
its a secret :L
Gareleus

Post by Gareleus »

Hello there Eriottosan, my Pc can pull 60 frames a second normally and has occasional lag spikes only when I am loading a great deal of chunks or am in a area with a high amount animations and particles. Sadly I don't know of any option other than Optifine that would help your FPS, sorry about that, but perhaps someone else does.
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

I get about 200fps in my vanilla world with max settings. In my BTW world, with all my factories running at once, it goes down to about 60fps.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

vanilla 1.2.5 with latest optifine on short render fancy graphics I get about 40-60fps
thaumcraft 2 on 1.2.5 latest optifine short render fancy graphics 15-20fps
btw/btb on 1.2.5 latest optifine short render fancy graphics 18-25fps

I have a sony vaio with an AMD e-350 APU with 6310 GPU. The gpu can handle it, the apu cpu side is weak.

there is a huge fps increase in the latest minecraft preview snapshots just fyi.

-edit- also look at 'Dora The Chunk Explorer' to pregenerate the chunks in your world without you having to fly or walk over every chunk. It helps with lag/fps issues.
Last edited by destineternel on Sat May 12, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Out of curiosity, what are you system specs, Eriottosan?
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Wow, I really thought that you, of all people, would get really high fps. You have an 128x128 TP. Normally that brings it down quite a lot, hence looking at the sky...
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Woah this was busy while I was "studying" (read "starting to revise integration, then amusing yourself by writing down all the integration jokes you know ...). Wow, I really am a bit of a geek ... ;).
harryht wrote:<snip>
Woah, that's quite a reduction for changing the leaves settings. I get no change whatsoever fancy to fast ...
Gareleus wrote:<snip>
Yeah, Optifine seems to help everyone bar me ;).
bmanfoley wrote:I get about 200fps in my vanilla world with max settings. In my BTW world, with all my factories running at once, it goes down to about 60fps.
Seems that your factories seem to cause quite a drag - must be a pretty automated world ;).
destineternel wrote:<snip>
Yeah, I heard that the new snapshot had an fps boost for a lot of users, that was one of the reasons I got more curious about it ... That and watching how smooth Morvelaira's LP is. It's wanted me to make my own LP, but as recording systems apparently lag your game further I don't know if it's worth doing.
I'll have a look at that Dora thingy in a bit :).
morvelaira wrote:Out of curiosity, what are you system specs, Eriottosan?
It's a Laptop (eurgh), but Lenovo Thinkpad Edge, so it was cheap and good quality :). Windows 7 professional 64-bit, 4GB RAM, AMD Turion(tm) II P540 Dual-core Processor 2.40 GHz.
I know, Laptops are terrible, integrated this that and the other.

But even with all that in mind, different size TPs, mods, optifine, whatever else should make some difference. But it doesn't.

embirrim wrote:Wow, I really thought that you, of all people, would get really high fps. You have an 128x128 TP. Normally that brings it down quite a lot, hence looking at the sky...
Again, this is my point ... I run at ~25 fps on the default texture pack, no mods installed, fresh world, fast graphics ... Look at the sky it is ~130.
And then, with just BTW installed, walking around a fully automated city, whilst using my 128x TP, fancy graphics, I run at ~25 fps. Look at the sky, it is ~130.

You'd expect SOME change between the two, surely?
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

If the textures are not hitting your FPS, it sounds like a bottleneck in the CPU, unless I've got it backwards...
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

My laptop's specs are:
CPU: intel i7 quad core 2.2 GHz
GPU: NVidia Geforce 540 1gb vRAM
8gb RAM

I avg. 130 when at full graphics, high performance comp. setting, 50 when at power saver comp setting. I also doesn't change at all when I use TPs, as yours stays at roughly the same FPS as the default.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Ulfengaard wrote:If the textures are not hitting your FPS, it sounds like a bottleneck in the CPU, unless I've got it backwards...
To be honest, this is the conclusion I would reach if it wasn't for the skyrocket in FPS when looking at the sky (on any setting) ... If it's a bottleneck, then surely even then it would be limited, right? Or am I mistaken?

Just for the record, I can run Portal/Portal 2, Sims 3, Assassin's Creed, TF2 &c just fine without lags ... Perhaps it's a Java thing ...
dawnraider wrote:I avg. 130 when at full graphics, high performance comp. setting, 50 when at power saver comp setting. I also doesn't change at all when I use TPs, as yours stays at roughly the same FPS as the default.
I've tried that too, I have no difference when at "performance" and "best looking" (or whatever it's called) settings, either. :P.
Nice comp btw ;).

In the end of the day, I'm not that bothered at the minute. I can play just fine at 25fps (it's all I've ever known). When (if) I get some money, I plan to build a PC, and hopefully that system will be able to run it a bit faster. Until then, I'm happy as is unless anyone has any miracles ;).
Nazara

Post by Nazara »

I actually get an FPS drop if I go from Fancy to Fast, which doesn't make any sense.

I tend to play at normal render distance cause I don't like seeing the fog, but I don't like seeing the distant chunk noise either.

Remember that opening the F3 debug settings can drop your FPS down a bit, too, so you may be getting more FPS than you think if you are using that to judge.

I run the range from 70-90 depending on various factors.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Nazara wrote:I actually get an FPS drop if I go from Fancy to Fast, which doesn't make any sense.
Now *that* is interesting ...
Nazara wrote:Remember that opening the F3 debug settings can drop your FPS down a bit, too, so you may be getting more FPS than you think if you are using that to judge.
Yeah, I've heard that before. As I said, ~25 (which I suppose is probably ~28 without the drag from F3?) doesn't impede my playstyle, it would just be nice if it were faster, especially if I want to do an LP (which may have to wait ... although I have a nice idea to make it individual ...)
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

use shift-F3 instead, gets rid of the lag-o-meter.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Nazara

Post by Nazara »

Eriottosan wrote:
Nazara wrote:I actually get an FPS drop if I go from Fancy to Fast, which doesn't make any sense.
Now *that* is interesting ...
Nazara wrote:Remember that opening the F3 debug settings can drop your FPS down a bit, too, so you may be getting more FPS than you think if you are using that to judge.
Yeah, I've heard that before. As I said, ~25 (which I suppose is probably ~28 without the drag from F3?) doesn't impede my playstyle, it would just be nice if it were faster, especially if I want to do an LP (which may have to wait ... although I have a nice idea to make it individual ...)

I get a more significant drop in FPS using F3 than just a couple of number, usually 10+ fps gets knocked off
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

destineternel wrote:use shift-F3 instead, gets rid of the lag-o-meter.
This. Try it and tell us :]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Shift-F3 gives me results of ... well ... you guessed it:
~25 FPS, ~130 if I look at the sky.
Regardless of TP or mods.

What the actually hell is wrong with my laptop? haha :P
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I'd be pleased with your 25 fps TBH. A more consistent fps makes for a better viewing experience than one that fluctuates between 40-60.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Husbag3 wrote:I'd be pleased with your 25 fps TBH. A more consistent fps makes for a better viewing experience than one that fluctuates between 40-60.
True. Never bugged me before :).
Perhaps if I do try recording with it, it will stay at it's favourite number anyway ;).
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Do you have power saving enabled? Try switching to max FPS if you haven't already. Mine sticks at 25 FPS if I enable power saving, regardless of other settings or texture packs.
Schmitty

Post by Schmitty »

I usually get around 60 FPS without optifine on max settings. With optifine I pull around 80-120.
Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow
Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foam
Little soldier boy, Come marching home
Brave soldier boy, Comes marching home
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

sargunster wrote:Do you have power saving enabled? Try switching to max FPS if you haven't already. Mine sticks at 25 FPS if I enable power saving, regardless of other settings or texture packs.
Nope, already at max FPS setting, thanks anyway. I think I read somewhere that power-saver limits around 30, balanced limits around 60 and max limits to 200 ... But all three work the same on my silly laptop :P.
Schmitty wrote:I usually get around 60 FPS without optifine on max settings. With optifine I pull around 80-120.
Nice :).
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

I get about 45 FPS on Fancy, Normal settings with Optifine installed.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Hey Eriottosan, I had the same sort of troubles as you, then Docm77 put out that lil thing about how to increase the allocated ram to java. So i did that and now i am able to run Fancy graphics, full render at about 60 FPS. So yeah all you need to do is this:

1) Right click - Create new text document
2)Save it as "Minecraft.bat" make sure to replace '.txt' with '.bat'
To See the .bat Extension
Show
If you cannot see the .bat extension, right click on it and goto the bottom of the dialogue and click on properties, then there you should be able to change the extension.
Also if you want to be able to see the extension on all file types you can go here and they will tell you how!!
3)Right click on the bat file and type in this:

Code: Select all

javaw -Xmx8G -Xms4G -jar "C:\(enter path to minecraft.exe here).minecraft.exe" 
^^The little part where it says '-Xms4G' Is how much RAM you are allocating to minecraft, note that it has a default value of 2GB
^^^^ Make sure to keep the quotation marks in the .bat file.
4)Save the .bat file and run it.
Want To Change the Icon On the .bat File?
Show
1)Drag the bat file to a different directory (off the desktop, or atleast the regular place you like to keep it.
2)Right click on the .bat file and goto 'Send To' then send it to the desktop (so that it creates a shortcut)
3)Goto desktop and right click on the new shortcut, goto properties.
4)Under the tab 'shortcut' click on 'Change icon' and select an icon that you would like to use.

**For minecraft icons you can follow this link**

Good luck in getting better frame rates. Also if you are using the Minecraft Profile Manager i have a fix for that aswell!! ^_^/
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

SgtChuckle wrote:I get about 45 FPS on Fancy, Normal settings with Optifine installed.
That's a fair FPS :).
magikeh wrote:<snip>
I really appreciate the time you put into that post, magikeh ... unfortunately, this is something I have already tried (;_;). I have four jars with different set ups, each with their own bat, which log in automatically, with high priority process and increased allocated memory. But no matter how much memory I allocate, I get the same results as ever :P. Cheers anyway, man :).