that time comes...when minecraft gets boring.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Xekrom337

that time comes...when minecraft gets boring.

Post by Xekrom337 »

so, after playing minecraft obsessively for the past year or so (and BTW a bit shorter than taht)... minecraft got boring. Playing adventure maps, playing with mods, making textures - i just can't find any enjoyment in minecraft anymore.

any suggestions for what to do?
Eriottosan

Re: that time comes...when minecraft gets boring.

Post by Eriottosan »

Have you tried building fully automated systems without copying existing designs? Are you a master of redstone? Have you molested a cow in a breeding harness whilst redneck fishing? Have you built a mega computer, or a series of note blocks to play a song with tunes and percussion? Have you built a replica of your favourite movie's main setting? And have you done these things in a survival map, without inventory mods, completely from scratch?

If the answer to any of these questions is "no" then you probably aren't using minecraft and BTW to its full potential.

Vanilla gets a bot boring after a year. Overpowered mods get boring once the "ooh" factor wears off.
But Better Than Wolves - to me - provides such a variety of amazing things to do, with a real life believability (to a degree) and black humour to boot, it feels like minecraft the way it should have been, and that isn't something that gets boring in "a little under a year".

I know everyone's playstyle is dofferent. Maybe you haven't found the right style for yourself yet. Maybe you should give MC a break for a week or two then come back to it. But if you are that bored that quickly, I reckon you've got loads of stuff you haven't done!

Eriotto
X
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Also, take a break. Minecraft isn't a thing you have to do, and no one will judge you for stopping a hobby when it gets boring. Minecraft will still be here if you want to come back.

Honestly, can you think of many games that have enough to keep you interested for a year anyway? I'd call it a good run.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Catox

Post by Catox »

I've been affected by this boredom effect of minecraft for quite some time... and I didn't find a way to be durably cured.
BTW was (and certainly will be again) a good one, but even in this case, it wears off.

It's not that I don't know what to do. There are plenty of automated stuff I'd want to build, and I have a pretty good idea of the way I could do those.
The problem is most of the time, when I try to involve myself into attaining one of those objectives, I end up being struck by the futility of the project.
Clearly, I like automating things, but not for the sole purpose of doing so.

The 32 steel blocs challenge for future BTW update was a great motivation to try and automate steel production.
But, really, most of anything else doesn't >need< to be automated.

I'd say that is an inherent limitation to a sandbox game that is "only" a sandbox game. People who like to have a reason to do things end up feeling uncompelled to do them.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I got bored of MC not too long ago. I took a break for a few weeks, started a new world and started enjoying it again.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
M!C

Post by M!C »

Did you give playing with others a try already?

I've been playing so much on Edolas in the last weeks months that I missed about 10 BTW versions already and counting ...

The question "What am I doing this for?" gets a different perspective on a server. There are people who will see what you built or even use it (be it practical things like an XP farm or fun stuff like a challenge of sorts). You can also cooperate with others on building things, it's a whole different kind of fun because you get to talk to people and you can do other (bigger) things done.

Of course you won't have BTW there (at least for now) but at least I don't miss it as much as I thought I would.

That doesn't mean that I'm not looking forward to playing BTW again and with all the stuff I haven't played around with yet it'll take ages to loose its novelty.

So what I've basically been doing is taking a break from MC (BTW) in MC (Edolas). For others it might be better to get away from MC entirely though, get yourself another pastime for a few weeks and MC will be fun again. :)
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

Honestly, when I get bored of Minecraft, I either play on a server or play PVP.
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

If you really feel you've exhausted all that Minecraft has to offer, take a break. Try something different for a few weeks or so.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Make a separate Jar and try some of the MCForge mods for a bit, I've been playing a Thaumcraft, EE2, IC2 and RedPower2 jar alongside a Btw one for a while now :)

Always fun to see whats on the other side of the fence ;P
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

I am having the same problem to a degree. My solution is to not play minecraft for a good long time. eventually I will find myself in the mood for minecraft and it will be back to the good old days for me. for awhile. I used to play Star Craft obsessively, but it got boring, I stopped playing got other interests. A few months later I found the cd and started it up again and played obsessively for about a month, and then I got bored. it is just a cycle that all games go through. time is in my opinion the best cure. that or *really* cool new content.
And HOW!
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

FurkeyRefills wrote:Make a separate Jar and try some of the MCForge mods for a bit, I've been playing a Thaumcraft, EE2, IC2 and RedPower2 jar alongside a Btw one for a while now :)

Kill the un-believer! ;) Anyway maybe a different variation of mods would add to your experience. Whatever floats your boat.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Husbag3 wrote:
FurkeyRefills wrote:Make a separate Jar and try some of the MCForge mods for a bit, I've been playing a Thaumcraft, EE2, IC2 and RedPower2 jar alongside a Btw one for a while now :)

Kill the un-believer! ;) Anyway maybe a different variation of mods would add to your experience. Whatever floats your boat.
Heh, yes I do feel guilty at times for using said mods, but when Direwolf20 was doing Season 3 I just couldn't resist and I created a separate Jar.
I hope the firing squad that kills me for such mutiny have good aim, and my death be quick xD
tedium

Post by tedium »

diablo 3 comes out this week. seems like a damn good way to take a break to me ;)
FlowerChild makes heroes of us all, and gives us battle axes where we had swords weak as zombie paws.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

In all honesty, if I hadn't learned how to mod, I would've quit Minecraft months ago. Not just being able to use mods, but being able to MAKE them turns Minecraft into a game I really don't see myself ever getting permanently bored with. I've gotten bored with it from time to time, but I always come back, because it's a game you can do whatever you want in, and with modding skills that's infinitely truer.

If you have any ideas for a mod, I'd HIGHLY recommend going into the wonderful world of modding. But don't make a mod if you don't currently have any ideas, you should always make sure that it's a mod you're personally interested in keeping alive :)
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Panda

Post by Panda »

Build me something like this:
Spoiler
Show
Always does the trick for me
Never say no to Panda.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Panda wrote:Build me something like this:
Spoiler
Show
You obviously put a lot of work into that ;P
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Now that's a dick move.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Xekrom337

Post by Xekrom337 »

thanks for the advice everyone, taking a break is what i've been doing, so yeah. good idea. :)
Spoiler
Show
that just made my day. :D
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

You could even do better proportions of the testis while your at it ;)
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Xekrom337 wrote:thanks for the advice everyone, taking a break is what i've been doing, so yeah. good idea. :)
Spoiler
Show
that just made my day. :D
Trap a testificate in the top, and have him toss the milk :) (Dual-pun intended)
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

C'mon, admit it, that was pretty ballsy.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Andellmere

Post by Andellmere »

Spoiler
Show
...Always thought it hung to the left...

Though I have to admit, Thalarctia has the right idea
Need a combination door? I've got one you can use.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Visit your local abandonware site and fresh up on those timeless classics through dosbox!
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Panda... that is amazing.

Back on topic, because I'm the middle of my 'game got boring' break from Minecraft right now, is just take a break from it. I'm not going to touch the game until I see some happy anniversary updatage. With the new BTW update coming out, it'll be like a new game when I pick it back up.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Ribky wrote:Panda... that is amazing.

Back on topic, because I'm the middle of my 'game got boring' break from Minecraft right now, is just take a break from it. I'm not going to touch the game until I see some happy anniversary updatage. With the new BTW update coming out, it'll be like a new game when I pick it back up.
You might be in up to a quarter of year wait :P.