Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
SterlingRed

Re: Morvelaira's MC News Compilation

Post by SterlingRed »

Mason11987 wrote:
SterlingRed wrote:Keeping speculation out of it, snapshot definitely looks promising. Partially implemented feature exists for letting servers have their own tp's and clients download them. This instantly fixes xray problems in smp. Pretty cool.

There have been a few significant bugs mentioned on mcf but reports are few and unconfirmed so far. As with all snapshots, back up before you try it. Particularly this one. Apparently the nether doesn't exist.
This isn't true, you can disable it. Server isn't able to force a TP.
Sorry I did overstate that one point (i got excited to finally see some progress), I know the server can't force a tp install in this snapshot. Thanks for pointing out the mistake, I wouldn't want to misinform anyone.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

A couple new things that have come up due to SSP just being a local client. First of all, pause no longer pauses the game. It just brings up the menu without stopping the in-game clock. Kinda a bug, might actually be intended that there's no pause in Minecraft (which seems unlikely). Also, if you open one world, close it, and then open another, the local server started for the first world opened continues to run even after you close the world, so performance drops unless you close the game and restart it. Definitely a bug.
Also, you have to use SPC to turn yourself back to creative whenever you load a creative world because it automatically sets itself to survival when the world loads.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

Well, HatFilms released a trailer for the XBLA version of Minecraft a little while ago as well as some videos showing of the multiplayer and tutorial. I have to admit, it does look pretty promising; I may get it.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on how the XBLA version is going to be/how it's going to compare to the PC version?

EDIT: Apparently it takes place in Beta 1.6.6.
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

D:

Quality comes before quantity.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

ThatOneDude wrote:-snip-
before anyone (including myself) has bleeding ears, synopsis of the video, please.
Schmitty

Post by Schmitty »

ThatOneDude wrote:D:

I've already expressed my thoughts on this matter on another forum, but I'll repeat it here.

Before Mojang even considers doing something like this, they need to focus on ironing out multiplayer. A move like this at this point in time would upset a lot of people.
Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow
Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foam
Little soldier boy, Come marching home
Brave soldier boy, Comes marching home
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Schmitty wrote:I've already expressed my thoughts on this matter on another forum, but I'll repeat it here.

Before Mojang even considers doing something like this, they need to focus on ironing out multiplayer. A move like this at this point in time would upset a lot of people.
Tbh, I get the feeling that they're going to be rehashing a lot of the MP code while sorting things out anyway. There's no point them going through and fixing MP as it is now if changing to the unified system goes and breaks things all over again.

As long as they keep it to snapshots till it's finished, and remember to fit the 4096 block IDs in there while they're at it, it'll work out fine.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Schmitty wrote: I've already expressed my thoughts on this matter on another forum, but I'll repeat it here.

I would say bringing single player and multiplayer together and fixing long standing multiplayer bugs may not be mutually exclusive for two reasons that I'm aware of:

1: It's less code base to manage, thus only one round of debugging instead of two.
2: A lot of SMP problems appear to be due to the flawed client-server responsibility sharing, with too much delegated to the client right now.

I think both versions of the game will benefit in the long run. And it doesn't sound like they're going to rush this release. At least I sure hope not.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You generally want to perform any large restructuring of a code-base BEFORE you start worrying about bugs and other details. Debugging first would make zero sense, as the changes will likely be substantial enough that it'll be working with a whole different set of code.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I'm a bit skeptic about this all, but it's probably for the best. Some big changes coming up.

I do hope they eventually fix the mob/player interaction again, because that's one of the large annoyances when I'm on SMP and I don't want that to creep into SSP.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Gilberreke wrote:I'm a bit skeptic about this all, but it's probably for the best. Some big changes coming up.

I do hope they eventually fix the mob/player interaction again, because that's one of the large annoyances when I'm on SMP and I don't want that to creep into SSP.
I always though that that's more of a latency thing?

I REALLY think that they're making a huge step in the right direction. And with the bukkit fellers in "charge"... well I'm feeling positive, I really am. Minecraft needed more coders with the determination and love for OOP, fixing and restructuring code and I think they're them.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Poppycocks wrote:I always though that that's more of a latency thing?
I watched the dreadful gamechap video without sound and they were walking right through entities and stuff.

Ah, I'm sure it'll work itself out just fine.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I'm glad the bucket team is on board working on the real update, because this is what Jeb is wasting his time on:
Spoiler
Show
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

What are those, even?
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Cocoa Beans.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Well, to be perfectly fair, he's working on it due to a request made by EvilSeph, a bukkit team member.

And I don't know, maybe working some time on other less important things might be a necessity as re-working/re-arranging a vast part of the whole MC code base may very well be a huge pain in the butt and not very rewarding at first (they get tons of bugs out of it, as the last snapshot show it)...
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Well, someone needs to provide the "real content".

I mean imagine yourself as him, having all those vanila kids breathing down your neck. Besides, just like in Notch's case, it's what he likes to do best.
Nazara

Post by Nazara »

TheAnarchitect wrote:I'm glad the bucket team is on board working on the real update, because this is what Jeb is wasting his time on:
Spoiler
Show
Heavens forbid he take the 5 minute break from helping re-write the entire foundation of the game it took to code these things. Who knows what he could have done had he not taken a little breather to actually code something simple, we could have had a stress-induced bug to complain about!

People need to pace themselves and take small breaks from doing huge projects to unwind a bit. Writing code, especially complex code, can be rewarding and fufiling but also very taxing mentally. Taking a short moment to pound out a very simple and instantly gratifying detail can really help your morale and re-energize you. It is especially therapeutic if you have found yourself bashing your head against a problem for hours with no progress.
Last edited by Nazara on Tue May 08, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Please don't use this thread to complain about Mojang, their programmers, or their imagined programming methods. Basically, if you're not there, don't make assumptions about how things are happening - especially if it is to disparage someone. Good general rule of life.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

This probably came off more personal than I meant it. I simply didn't see what this approach has over letting jungle leaves drop cocoa beans like the last snapshot. And It's simply one more feature thrown in with no framework. Yeah, I don't know how much time it took. I should have simply said it's an unneeded feature.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

TheAnarchitect wrote:it's an unneeded feature.
That, however, I CAN agree with.

And I guess we will know Thursday what progress regarding the code re-arrangement they have made :-)
But again, a week isn't unfortunately that long.

(hope I stay on the "discussing vMC" topic )
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Gormador wrote:
TheAnarchitect wrote:it's an unneeded feature.
That, however, I CAN agree with.

And I guess we will know Thursday what progress regarding the code re-arrangement they have made :-)
But again, a week isn't unfortunately that long.

(hope I stay on the "discussing vMC" topic )
Look how much they had to show in one snapshot, apparently FC is shipping the Mojang guys his flux capacitor because they are making some huge changes in such a little time.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I cant wait to make a coco farm and live in a cookie utopia :33
Never say no to Panda.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Besides its not a useless addition, its tieing up loose ends from the days of the legendary dungeon coco, that made little sense. I've wanted this for a long time myself.
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Panda wrote:Besides its not a useless addition, its tieing up loose ends from the days of the legendary dungeon coco, that made little sense. I've wanted this for a long time myself.
You're stretching Panda :)