Forestry's Anti-Technic Pack move

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Forestry's Anti-Technic Pack move

Post by FlowerChild »

To my knowledge, all they ever wanted it for was decorative Wind Mills & Water Wheels. I also saw a little while ago that someone put out a mod that was just that, so they've already got it if they noticed it.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Here's what I can't quite get. If you don't have the technical capabilities needed to install mods without a modloading program like technic, you don't really have the technical capabilities to, you know, do anything with technical mods like those installed. What do these players actually build?
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Here's what I can't quite get. If you don't have the technical capabilities needed to install mods without a modloading program like technic, you don't really have the technical capabilities to, you know, do anything with technical mods like those installed. What do these players actually build?
My thoughts exactly. The YogBox makes sense in that regard, it's a bunch of mods that are tricky to install but not tricky to use. But this...

Actually, upon thinking about it, I suppose it could just be an issue of how boring the procedure is. It requires technical knowledge to install mods, yes, but it's not exactly intellectually engaging, it's just absolute tedium. Not saying that justifies it, but I remember back when I did the MegaModia succession game on these forums back in 1.8.1, it was a nightmarish, tedious hell getting all of those mods to work together. If I ever find myself needing to install that many mods again, I think I'd consider gnawing off my own leg as a viable alternative.

But I certainly wouldn't do anything disrespectful to any of the mod-makers, no, that would just be all kinds of ungrateful and arrogant.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

How hard is it really to add a bunch of zips to MCPatcher and maybe copy some other zips into a mod folder in .minecraft? Hell, there's a new Mod app installer out that takes care of even this much. I believe it also handles Id conflicts.
whynocheese

Post by whynocheese »

I swear Flowerchild your name is absolutely infamous with them and anybody that goes against them seems to be called a Flowerchild. This is is just fucking hilarious.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Huh. Guess that makes us a 42 meter wreath of roses and children.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

One admin wrote:We want to get permissions, and we're actively trying.
(...)
So yes, we are doing what we can to get permissions and make the modders happy.

And a bit before, another one :
Not to give too much away, but I've started working on a project that was originally going to be a better than wolves replacement, (which i have jokingly labeled Bomb Throwing Wookie (no i will not include a bomb throwing wookie)), and one of the things i do plan on having is a logging machine. I'll make a topic about it once it's playable, but it's at least a month away from a playable beta.
This shit never gets old :)
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

You people have NO respect for people who PLAY technic. You seem to think we are a bunch of trolls. We are not.
I kinda want to play BTW, only thing that makes me fence-sit is this arsehole attitude towards technic.
I feel like ABSOLUTE SCUM.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Kingfisher wrote:You people have NO respect for people who PLAY technic. You seem to think we are a bunch of trolls. We are not.
I kinda want to play BTW, only thing that makes me fence-sit is this arsehole attitude towards technic.
Before you get banned, I'd like to say you're generalizing just a bit. I don't like the attitude toward modders that kakermix and the other people that create technic have (shown best by the cheapshots to fc in the one of the original readme files), but know plenty of people that use it, and I really couldn't care less
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Kingfisher wrote:You people have NO respect for people who PLAY technic. You seem to think we are a bunch of trolls. We are not.
Post #1 on this forum... smells troll-ey... but I'll bite.

Seriously, I don't have a blanket hate or disrespect for anyone who uses Technic. However, I don't respect the Technic team for their "we can do whatever we want with other coders' work" attitude. Jakj in particular disgusts me, but the Technic community (in general) seems to hold him up as some kind of hero for directly ripping off code.

It gets pretty clear when we start talking about who is stealing and trying to justify behavior and who is just trying to make mods and get the credit/funds due to them.

Ban incoming for joo. See you again maybe never.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Alright, you disregarded the latter half of my post. I Am CONSIDERING this mod and the stuff it offers.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Kingfisher wrote:Alright, you disregarded the latter half of my post. I Am CONSIDERING this mod and the stuff it offers.
You disregarded their posts. We don't care whether you use BTW or not, we do care about the fact you are basically saying everyone on these boards is an asshole.
Just check the Technic forums and our forums about this topic. See in what ways each side reacts to it.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Kingfisher wrote:Alright, you disregarded the latter half of my post. I Am CONSIDERING this mod and the stuff it offers.
ok? Go ahead man. Haha. The latter half wasn't what any of us felt the need to say anything about, just breaking the generalization :p
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Besides, I just want to have a logical discussion, not u ban'd fool.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Guys, calm down a little.
It's not like we go out of our way to find technic users. When we come across them, it's normally in the form of them coming into the BTW threads/forum, and being generally obnoxious; in those circumstances, of course we have no respect for them.

As for the rest, we have little reason to have any respect/lack of for them. Being confrontational about it is what causes the grief in the first place :)
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Fine, but just consider that I meant that SOME People are being arseholes, while others are being perfectly logical well meaning human beings.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Kingfisher wrote:Besides, I just want to have a logical discussion, not u ban'd fool.
To be perfectly honest, that first post wasn't exactly the way to go about doing that :p
And a logical discussion about what, exactly?
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Fine, the problem I find sometimes is that I cannot communicate a point clearly. I meant that I like technic, and I like the idea of BTW, but I want to take a stand. Besides, some members on this forum have to admit that they were kinda being a bit mean to technic?
FC took a stand with forge, while people may not agree with his opinion, they agree that he took a stand for his opinion.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Kingfisher wrote:I meant that I like technic, and I like the idea of BTW, but I want to take a stand.
Take a stand on what?
Kingfisher wrote:Besides, some members on this forum have to admit that they were kinda being a bit mean to technic?
Of course, but the technic community is pretty cruel to the BTW community, along with any other communitarian that vocalizes their distaste for the technic pack
Kingfisher wrote:FC took a stand with forge, while people may not agree with his opinion, they agree that he took a stand for his opinion.
Sorry, but I don't have the slightest clue how this is related... Lol
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Kingfisher wrote:Fine, but just consider that I meant that SOME People are being arseholes, while others are being perfectly logical well meaning human beings.
That's fine. The vast majority of technic users are more or less unaware of the...disagreements between the technic pack's makers, maintainers and advertisers, and the rest of the modding community; and while it's sad, it's unavoidable. The ones that are aware, and try to argue a debate they're not a part of/have any direct relation to - they're the ones we will have issues with. After all, those people pretty much have to fall into one of two catagories:
1) "I know the technic pack is immoral and borderline illegal but I'm going to play it anyway"
- BTW advocates modder's rights to controlling thier own content, so we're never going to see eye-to-eye here
2) "But I can't get them to work together and I don't know how to config files"
- Most of us are generally confused by people downloading a huge collection of complicated, arguably difficult mods when they're unable to manage the simple task of installing mods manually.

The akward thing is, the technic pack is little more than a launcher and a config file, with a bunch of unauthorised content stuck in it.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Take a stand on mean treatment on BOTH sides. Both of us should just take a chill pill, stop calling each other illegal and stuff and just play minecraft. And the FC was relating to the taking a stand.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Kingfisher wrote:Take a stand on mean treatment on BOTH sides. Both of us should just take a chill pill, stop calling each other illegal and stuff and just play minecraft. And the FC was relating to the taking a stand.
Probably won't happen. As much as I'd love for all to be well, and the sky to be filled with butterflies and rainbows, technic and btw are total opposites in this regard.
Also, I really don't care about technic being illegal. I've broken the law more times than I can count. It's just that it was a bit of a dick move, especially how it had been handled by kakermix and cheapshot (by extending a digital middle finger).
And what does fc supporting forge at one point have to do with wanting everybody to get along?
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

I also fall into category #2..I can't download these fine mods because of mediafire.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

You people may not respect my opinion, but you might just respect my willingness to take a stand for what I think is right.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Kingfisher wrote:You people may not respect my opinion, but you might just respect my willingness to take a stand for what I think is right.
Who said I don't respect your opinion?